Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.3

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
aox

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#2926 Post by aox » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:21 pm

On those themes, I would love a BD upgrade of Two-Lane Blacktop.

Additionally, are you talking about Elke Rosthal's Lonesome? or Pál Fejös' Lonesome?

Jeff

#2927 Post by Jeff » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:25 pm

aox wrote:Additionally, are you talking about Elke Rosthal's Lonesome? or Pál Fejös' Lonesome?
Fejös

Calvin

#2928 Post by Calvin » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:26 pm

To me, the necklace looks relatively too big to be the one in Rosemary's Baby. Admittedly, Criterion may just be making the point that it's a necklace.

Flanell

#2929 Post by Flanell » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:31 pm

Sirk's Imitation of Life at least starts out at Coney Island, although that may be stretching it a bit. That would be a nice addition though (as well as The Warriors! However unlikely).

aox

#2930 Post by aox » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:32 pm

Jeff wrote:
aox wrote:are you talking about Elke Rosthal's Lonesome? or Pál Fejös' Lonesome?
Fejös
I am sure the comparison couldn't be more off, but the more read about his film from 1928, the more it sounds very similar to People on Sunday. Just thinking out loud. It sounds like a fascinating premise.

bainbridgezu

#2931 Post by bainbridgezu » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:33 pm

I wonder if this is the second year they'll tease use by including breaking waves in the drawing and then not release the von Trier film?

Murdoch

#2932 Post by Murdoch » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:49 pm

I don't think that line in the sand is just from the bike and not a separate clue. Thin blue line?

Jeff

#2933 Post by Jeff » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:54 pm

aox wrote:I am sure the comparison couldn't be more off, but the more read about his film from 1928, the more it sounds very similar to People on Sunday. Just thinking out loud. It sounds like a fascinating premise.
I haven't seen it myself, only read about it. One of the films I've most been wanting to see. Criterion has been working with Universal and The Eastman House on it for some time. This was confirmed here. The Eastman House did a very thorough restoration, which was supervised, in part, by our own Mysterypez. He discusses it here. Jonathan Rosenbaum has a good piece on the film here.

Harmonov

#2934 Post by Harmonov » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:09 pm

Murdoch wrote:I don't think that line in the sand is just from the bike and not a separate clue. Thin blue line?
This was confirmed to me by the President of IFC (as stated before in the "minor/major" discussion), so Thin Blue Line makes sense and would literally make my year.

Harold and Maude being confirmed is incredible. Lots of happy people out there in Criterionville.

The Narrator Returns

#2935 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:03 pm

Could the line in the sand be a reference to The Big Lebowski? While this isn't very likely, I can't say what else it would be, and it would go along reasonably well with the Universal deal.

chizbooga

#2936 Post by chizbooga » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:36 pm

or perhaps the line is bruce dern-made...ashby boxset perhaps?

knives

#2937 Post by knives » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:48 pm

If the Rosemary thing is true I hope at the same time they also got The Tenant from Paramount. That would make my year/ decade.

Mark Metcalf

#2938 Post by Mark Metcalf » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:44 pm

I don't ask for much in 2012. A Don Siegel box, a Robert Siodmak box, a Hugo Haas box, a Joseph H. Lewis box, and The Big Beat (1958)

knives

#2939 Post by knives » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:49 pm

The Big Heat is coming to Twilight Time if I remember correctly.

Volta

#2942 Post by Volta » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:56 pm

Ó dear!! Phallic symbols everywhere, Ryan! (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Although I don't see any waves in this picture, it was confirmed a while back that Criterion has more von Trier in the works - most likely the three films that are currently OOP. (Not sure about Epidemic.) I'd be stoked for Dancer in the Dark!! It's the best film I've seen, and it transformed me into the unconditional Björk fan that I am today. (Það er synd Íslendingar eru svo sjálfsigra....)

SpiderBaby

#2943 Post by SpiderBaby » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:22 pm

was that to rub it into our faces or something (not your post Jeff, his tweet)?
Last edited by SpiderBaby on Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harmonov

#2944 Post by Harmonov » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:28 pm

Looks like the letters of clues go up to "S" or "T" on that picture. That's a lot of clues...

Jeff

#2945 Post by Jeff » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:29 pm

From looking at Ryan's pic, you can see that the "line in the sand" actually occurs several times and is not a clue at all. They appear to be lanes for the vehicles, which are all driving toward some sort of rock or mound (Hanging Rock?) in the center of the image. Also, the part that Criterion released today is from the upper right hand corner of the image. Ryan has the ocean circled as though it is a clue itself. Looks like there is a big wave or something in it. The car looks to be a separate clue as well. Weekend is probably just referenced by the overall traffic jam theme and the honking.

SpiderBaby

#2946 Post by SpiderBaby » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:36 pm

He tells us titles before they announce them, no reason not to post a clear version of this then.

matrixschmatrix

#2947 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:37 pm

I wonder if the ocean could refer to a blu upgrade of The Last Wave

duck duck

#2948 Post by duck duck » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:38 pm

If you look from far away there appears to be a samurai...

I can't figure out how to post it but the bikes make the body, on the right side the mirrors stick out further and almost connect of an elongated black thing. If you take the bike's visor as a mouth there are dots to make eyes and the sign becomes a helmet. I'm not trying to guess anything just pointing out what I noticed from looking at the "thumb-nail"...

Jeff

#2949 Post by Jeff » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:46 pm

duck duck wrote:If you look from far away there appears to be a samurai...
I can't figure out what you're talking about, duck duck, but I'd say that picture C looks like three samurai about to engage in a sword fight.

bainbridgezu

#2950 Post by bainbridgezu » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:47 pm

I see a group of at least three samurai, which I hope are not for the already-announced Gosha film.

Ryan DID mark the waves as a clue, so we may finally be getting the von Trier. He did not, however, circle Maude's necklace, though that's most likely an oversight.

The figure standing in front of Maude could be Trintignant in The Conformist (dark hat with an overcoat, closed with a belt around the middle).

The car on the left, between Maude and Clerici(?) looks to be a taxi or police car, something with a sign or siren on the top; any guesses on this one (aside from La balance)?

That large mass on the far left might actually be the Crash I mentioned earlier: I can make out five distinct wheels, meaning it's not just a large vehicle like a truck or bus.
Last edited by bainbridgezu on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.