La Nuit de Varennes (Ettore Scola, 1982)

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Cinephrenic

La Nuit de Varennes (Ettore Scola, 1982)

#1 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:12 pm

Well having interest in the upcoming Criterion DVD of Danton, I said to myself, what the hell and ask Criterion if they had any interest in releasing Ettore Scola's La Nuit de Varennes, and I found myself really bummed out to find this response from our beloved Mulvaney:
We do plan to release this film on DVD at some point, but it's not on the schedule right now. Feel free to check back, and thanks for your email!

Best,
Jon Mulvaney
A little known film from Italian director Ettore Scola, who made this film in France with actors such as Marcello Mastroianni, Jean-Louis Barrault, and even Harvey Keitel. Although Keitel's character (playing Thomas Paine is minor), he is worth seeing. The movie is entirely in French, so I'm not sure if his character is dubbed or he is actually speaking French. For those interested in French history, this is certainly not a documentary of events, but a different perspective and even hilarious at many points of the film. I would consider this a "road film" that is highly inventive, very well written, and a great cast with great performances.
Last edited by Cinephrenic on Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby Dammit

#2 Post by Toby Dammit » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:40 pm

Don't miss Hanna Schygulla

Cinephrenic

#3 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:45 pm

Toby Dammit wrote:Don't miss Hanna Schygulla
Of course :lol:

Knappen

#4 Post by Knappen » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:42 pm

Keitel is definitely dubbed in this movie - actually the French spoken by the character is way to good to be coming from an 18th century British philosopher. Kind of a weak point in the film.

Scandinavia is one of the few places where this films has come out on dvd. No English subs on these panscandinavian releases, I'm afraid.

Stefan Andersson

#5 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:48 am

Hopefully Criterion will try to get the full Italian-domestic 150 min. cut of LA NUIT DE VARENNES. It´s out on DVD in Italy, Italian-dubbed, but the movie is best viewed French-dubbed, so maybe the other scenes will have to be branched in. Can´t find my UK VHS (THAT NIGHT IN VARENNES) right now to check if there ever was a French dub of the 150-min. version.

duck duck

Re: La Nuit de Varennes (Ettore Scola, 1982)

#6 Post by duck duck » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:08 am

So did anyone ever do a follow-up?

Jean-Luc Garbo

#7 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Criterion has the movie on Hulu Plus for those who haven't seen it.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#8 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:35 pm

duck duck wrote:So did anyone ever do a follow-up?
La Nuit prochaine de Varennes?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#9 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:45 pm

The Gaumont French BD is Zone All and with English subs. \:D/

There is also a sale currently on Amazon.fr.

duck duck

#10 Post by duck duck » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:18 am

Is it the "full Italian-domestic 150 min. cut" that was hoped for years ago? I don't do Hulu.

Perkins Cobb

#11 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:51 am

duck duck wrote:Is it the "full Italian-domestic 150 min. cut" that was hoped for years ago? I don't do Hulu.
It's still in the kevyip but mine says 151 minutes on the back.

whaleallright

#12 Post by whaleallright » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:06 pm

--is there somewhere I can find out which of these Gaumont releases have English subs?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#13 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:01 pm

jonah.77 wrote:--is there somewhere I can find out which of these Gaumont releases have English subs?
Not really, but having some of them, I may be able to help you. What I can already say is that these ones have: French Cancan, La nuit de Varennes, Cousin Cousine, Carmen, Le beau Serge, Les cousins, La cité des femmes, Un condamné à mort s'est échappé, Danton, Les tontons flingueurs.

triodelover

#14 Post by triodelover » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:09 pm

jonah.77 wrote:
--is there somewhere I can find out which of these Gaumont releases have English subs?
The Gaumont boutique generally lists the available subtitles (sous-titres) with the other details for each disc.
tenia wrote:What I can already say is that these ones have: French Cancan, La nuit de Varennes, Cousin Cousine, Carmen, Le beau Serge, Les cousins, La cité des femmes, Un condamné à mort s'est échappé, Danton, Les tontons flingueurs.
I didn't see Le beau Serge and Les Cousins listed at the link you provided above. Is the sale only for the items listed on that page or are all the Gaumont Classiques on BD available in the sale?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#15 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:44 pm

triodelover wrote:I didn't see Le beau Serge and Les Cousins listed at the link you provided above. Is the sale only for the items listed on that page or are all the Gaumont Classiques on BD available in the sale?
Not all of them are in the sale, indeed. Out of it are the Chabrol and the Scola, which are the latest releases. However, I think there might be a couple of others missing. But they should almost all be included.