Criterion and Buena Vista

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
captveg

Criterion and Buena Vista

#1 Post by captveg » Fri May 18, 2012 7:33 pm

I didn't see this particular topic.

In any case, Wes Anderson Blu-ray upgrades aside, it seems we're overdue for another new release of any kind from the Criterion/Disney partnership.

Current/Announced releases

Armageddon (DVD only*)
Chasing Amy (DVD only#)
Chungking Express (DVD & Blu, both OOP)
Indiscretion of an American Wife / Terminal Station (DVD only)
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (DVD & BD)
Notorious (DVD only & OOP§)
Rebecca (DVD only & OOP§)
The Rock (DVD only*)
The Royal Tenenbaums (DVD & Blu)
Rushmore (DVD & Blu)
Spellbound (DVD only & OOP§)
Straw Dogs (DVD only & OOP§)

* - Blu available from Buena Vista
# - Blu available from Lionsgate (via Miramax); OOP Buena Vista (via Miramax) Blu previously available
§ - Blu available from MGM (via ABC/Selznick)

So - has there been any inklings of BV owned titles that could make it to Criterion? Maybe something like Kundun, 25th Hour, or Quiz Show? I highly doubt they'd license anything from the pre-Touchstone/Hollywood Pictures 80s days, but you never know.
Last edited by captveg on Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Criterion and Buena Vista (aka Disney)

#2 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri May 18, 2012 7:51 pm

Since Disney won't ever release Takahata's Omoide poro poro (Only Yesterday), I wish Criterion would pick it up (and provide lots of nice extras).

flyonthewall2983

#3 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:08 pm

Still hoping for The Insider. I'd imagine Michael Mann would want a special edition for it maybe more than Disney would.

Jeff

#4 Post by Jeff » Fri May 18, 2012 8:22 pm

The thing is, Buena Vista has recently announced Blu-rays of a few of the small number of titles I could imagine them licensing to Criterion themselves. I suppose, however, the fact that they've sent a block of titles to Mill Creek could indicate they might be willing to play ball with Criterion too. I'd agree that the Disney-branded live action classics from the 50s and 60s are off limits, and we can certainly forget about any animation. Besides Kundun, 25th Hour, Quiz Show, and The Insider, I can't think of anything else Criterion might want. Buena Vista has currently licensed their ABC Pictures library (including the Selznick titles) to MGM, but when that deal expires maybe Criterion will go after it again.

captveg

#5 Post by captveg » Fri May 18, 2012 8:40 pm

True enough. And the following probably proves it:

I just looked through all the Touchstone/Hollywood Pictures DVD releases with "name" directors and came up with a couple more titles, though these would likely be considered not exactly Criterion worthy by many:

Green Card
He Got Game
Jefferson in Paris
The Ladykillers
(2004)
Open Range
Summer of Sam

And that IS about it, LOL. Personally, I'd LOVE to see Open Range, but, yeah, that's not happening.

Of course, there's always What About Bob?

CSM126

Re: Criterion and Buena Vista

#6 Post by CSM126 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:17 pm

Criterion did release Dead Presidents on LD and presumably they are still sitting on those extras, so maybe that's a ... Maybe?
Last edited by CSM126 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Narrator Returns

#7 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri May 18, 2012 9:24 pm

I'd love it if The Ladykillers was the introduction of the Coens into the Collection.
We all must have waffles forthwith.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#8 Post by Brian C » Fri May 18, 2012 9:40 pm

I'm guessing that they're not going to jump at the chance to introduce the Coens by picking up what is - by miles and miles and miles - their worst film.

Even the waffles line you quoted, which is the funniest in the film, is just a retread of the lingonberry pancakes bit from The Big Lebowski.

dwk

#9 Post by dwk » Fri May 18, 2012 10:05 pm

Mill Creek has Summer of Sam

eerik

#10 Post by eerik » Sat May 19, 2012 4:16 am

Brian C wrote:I'm guessing that they're not going to jump at the chance to introduce the Coens by picking up what is - by miles and miles and miles - their worst film.
Indeed. They should get Barton Fink from Fox and The Man Who Wasn't There from Universal first.

member24958

#11 Post by member24958 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:25 am

The way Disney discontinues their titles it allows one some info to speculate on and make some educated guesses.

Over the last few months, Disney has discontinued several dozen titles from their Hollywood Pictures and Touchstone Pictures catalog. It was the same thing at the beginning of last year (though not as many then). Nearly all off them last year were then released by Mill Creek (the exceptions being the 1990 Where the Heart Is and a handful Mill Creek announced for pre-order to retailers but quietly just disappeared before getting any further).

Given the triple feature DVD releases Mill Creek put up on their site a couple of weeks ago and the batches including the titles Disney announced, it gives credence that the vast majority of the Hollywood Pictures / Touchstone Pictures that were discontinued on DVD were done due to them either being licensed out or coming from Disney itself sooner rather than later since every single one of them were in those same batches that were recently discontinued.

All of the above is sourced and credit to Michael's Movie Mayhem.

Long story short, Kundun was in one of those same batches. Entirely speculation but it would seem to suggest it is a, strong?, possibility that it might be forthcoming from Disney, Mill Creek or perhaps Criterion.

Does Disney license individual titles or, like Summer of Sam and maybe a couple of others, could Mill Creek have gotten that due to licensing a decent amount of titles in one deal (since studios tend to toss in some higher profile titles when doing licensing deals of that nature)?

Since Disney has yet to license anything outside of their Hollywood Pictures & Touchstone Pictures catalog since the early DVD days to Anchor Bay, that would really only leave the following as anything I could imagine Criterion even entertaining a release for (with a couple seemingly more likely to come from Disney and maybe a couple others that might not appeal to Criterion enough to want to release).

:Hollywood Pictures:

Blood In, Blood Out: Bound by Honor (1993)
Dead Presidents (1995)
Joy Luck Club, The (1993)
Quiz Show (1994)

:Touchstone Pictures:

Insider, The (1999)
25th Hour (2002)
Kundun (1997)

Given Disney's discontinuation patterns for the other titles that were then confirmed as forthcoming or licensed to Disney/Mill Creek, it seems to suggest Kundun seeing a release by someone before too long.

bainbridgezu

#12 Post by bainbridgezu » Sat May 19, 2012 11:37 am

I don't know how Criterion feels about the possibility, but Spike Lee is definitely interested in working with them on 25th Hour. From his Twitter (09/26/2011):
@SpikeLee wrote:Would love to have a Criterion 25th Hour,Summer of Sam or Bamboozled. It's up to them

duck duck

#13 Post by duck duck » Sat May 19, 2012 4:06 pm

I'd love to see them, too...
But, Spike Lee is known for saying anything he wants to regardless of consequence
so don't take this to seriously.
We have had similar quotes about She's Gotta have It and Malcolm X

matrixschmatrix

#14 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat May 19, 2012 4:26 pm

It's an expression of Spike Lee's opinion, how could that be something one needs to take with a grain of salt? I'm sure he would like Criterion editions of She's Gotta Have It and Malcolm X. Hell, so would I (moreso the former, obviously.)

knives

#15 Post by knives » Sat May 19, 2012 4:37 pm

You prefer She's Gotta Have It? Not that that is a bad thing, but I begged you as more a Malcolm X sort.

matrixschmatrix

#16 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat May 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Haha, I like Malcolm X better, but there's a pretty good blu of it out. As far as I know there's just a barebones DVD for She's Gotta Have It.

knives

#17 Post by knives » Sat May 19, 2012 5:00 pm

I thought the Blu got recalled. Got to get to that soon then.

manicsounds

#18 Post by manicsounds » Sat May 19, 2012 8:13 pm

The Blu-ray of "Malcolm X" was delayed. It's out now, with all the extras intact. (Still missing the Arrested Development video though)

Although I believe the UK disc is missing the "Malcolm X" Bio documentary

JimmyTango

#19 Post by JimmyTango » Sat May 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Bob Dylan has expressed interest in recording the soundtrack to the upcoming Spike Lee film. Apparently he's also in talks with Harmony Korine, one of his fondest admirers.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#20 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sun May 20, 2012 2:58 am

No love for Sonatine?

member24958

#21 Post by member24958 » Sun May 20, 2012 3:34 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:No love for Sonatine?
Miramax.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#22 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sun May 20, 2012 5:28 am

Sorry. I was repeating something I've been insisting since 2004. I forgot Buena Vista doesn't own the Miramax library anymore. It's still strange to me.

Also, I'd totally be okay with Dead Presidents if they edit out all the Vietnam stuff. All the good Buena Vista titles have been named here already (except for Con Air and Face/Off). I'll just insist on how great it would be to have Bringing Out the Dead and The Insider on Blu-ray, but I don't see it happening.

bainbridgezu

#23 Post by bainbridgezu » Sun May 20, 2012 9:33 am

Doesn't Paramount hold the domestic video rights for Bringing Out the Dead (which would, if anything, make it a more likely acquisition)?

captveg

#24 Post by captveg » Sun May 20, 2012 1:58 pm

bainbridgezu wrote:Doesn't Paramount hold the domestic video rights for Bringing Out the Dead (which would, if anything, make it a more likely acquisition)?
Yes. They also own Face/Off and released it as one of their first Blu-rays.

ryannichols7

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#25 Post by ryannichols7 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:36 pm

I don't think this would go in the Criterion Facebook/Twitter thread, but move it if it should:

I asked Spike Lee on Twitter ages ago if he was going to work with Criterion again. he told me it was "up to them" but that he'd "love to see a Criterion 25th Hour, Summer of Sam, or Bamboozled". i don't have the tweet (it's somewhere in my favorites), but I did ask Spike again last night since he was particularly talkative.
Spike Lee on Twitter wrote:@SpikeLee "@ryannichols7: @SpikeLee do you know if Criterion/any other of your studios are working on Blurays of your older movies?"25th Hour Next.
now the question is, via Criterion or Universal? this even feels like it would be a Criterion, right? one of his better movies as well.