It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Criterion OOP
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:01 pm 

Here is our handy catch-all thread for all news and discussion of Out of Print (OOP) Criterion titles. Feel free to PM me or post below when a Criterion title leaves for worse pastures (goes OOP).

The following is a list of all Criterion titles that are currently OOP. Do note: Only the die-hard completionists should care about former releases of in-print titles. For a complete list (including all of the various editions of The 400 Blows), see this page. Also, despite several titles being originally licensed from a different company (See Anchor Bay), the following list contains the companies which currently own the rights to these films, thus Criterion would have to license from the below in order for the title to come back into print. I'll also make mention of when titles are potentially coming back into print soon (Handmade Films) or when they might be leaving us in the future (endangered list). So, enough warnings, here you go:
---------------------------

Anchor Bay

Hard Boiled
The Killer

--------------------------
Cohen Media

Two of Us
W.C. Fields: 6 Short Films

Disney / ABC / Buena Vista - Straw Dogs + Rebecca was announced and is from this exact same catalog, so the below two are VERY likely at this point.

Notorious
Spellbound

---------------------------------
Image / RLJ Entertainment

Blood for Dracula
Flesh for Frankenstein

-----------------------------
Merchant Ivory Insurance Bond Stooges / Cohen Media

Howards End (DVD + Blu)

Merchant Ivory series titles:
The Ballad of the Sad Cafe
Bombay Talkie
The Bostonians
The Courtesans of Bombay
The Deceivers
The Europeans
Heat and Dust
The Householder
Hullabaloo Over Georgie and Bonnie's Pictures
In Custody
Jane Austen in Manhattan
Maurice
The Perfect Murder
Quartet
Roseland
Savages
Shakespeare Wallah

---------------------------
MGM - Expect many of these to come back into print, given Criterion's re-release deal with MGM (thus don't shell out for OOP prices on some of these)

RoboCop
This is Spinal Tap

Raro Video USA

Il generale Della Rovere

------------------------
Repackaging / Blu-Ray upgrade - these will be coming back into print soon
Per the response from Mulvaney - do not fear the OOP status of these - as they are currently going through a new print run or a new edition is being prepared. Sometimes this takes years, so be patient.

The BRD Trilogy
Deep Crimson (formerly in the Rialto set, should be released soon enough)
Madadayo (formerly in AK:100 set, should be released soon enough)
Nanook of the North (new restored edition should be coming soon)
Pygmalion (available as EAH edition -essentially the same thing as mainline release)

How to Get Ahead in Advertising (Handmade Films, now owned by Janus, expect it back in print)
The Long Good Friday (HandMade Films)
Mona Lisa (HandMade Films)
Withnail & I (HandMade Films)

Chungking Express (DVD + Blu) -----------On Filmstruck with Criterion branding!
-
The following have have this message on Criterion's website:
Quote:
Unfortunately, we are not able to offer this product for sale on Criterion.com. Please note that it is not out of print and is available at other retailers, like Amazon.com.
Thus they are temporarily OOP, until the packaging change/logo on back/distribution deal (Buena Vista) is taken care of - no need to fret about semantics, these will be back in print soon enough!

Armageddon
Firemen's Ball
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (DVD)
Pandora's Box
The Rock
Rushmore (DVD)
Three Films by Hiroshi Teshigahara - Woman in the Dunes is now back in print.
Three Films by Louis Malle (boxset only) - individual films in print
3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg

----------------------------
Shout Factory

Dead Ringers

----------------------------
Studio Canal/Lionsgate

Alphaville
Army of Shadows (DVD + Blu)
Billy Liar
Bob le Flambeur
Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy Eclipse
Le cercle rouge (DVD + Blu)
Contempt
Le corbeau
Coup de torchon
Diary of a Chambermaid
Diary of a Country Priest
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Le doulos
The Fallen Idol
Forbidden Games
Gervaise (Essential Art House)
Grand Illusion - on Filmstruck with Criterion branding!
Le jour se lève (Essential Art House)
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Last Holiday (Essential Art House)
Last Year at Marienbad (DVD + Blu)
Leon Morin, Priest (DVD + Blu)
Mafioso
The Man Who Fell to Earth (DVD + Blu)
Mayerling (Essential Art House)
The Milky Way
Murderous Maids (Rialto set)
Nights of Cabiria - On Filmstruck with Criterion branding!
The Orphic Trilogy (except Orpheus)
Peeping Tom
The Phantom of Liberty
Pierrot le fou (DVD + Blu)
Port of Shadows
Quai des Orfevres
Ran
The Small Back Room
The Tales of Hoffmann -Coming soon to Criterion Blu-ray, says Thelma Schoonmaker
That Obscure Object of Desire
The Third Man (DVD + Blu)
Touchez pas au grisbi
Le Trou
Variety Lights
The White Sheik
A Woman is a Woman

----------------------
Universal

The Bank Dick

------------------------------
Warner Brothers

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

-----------------------------
Xenon

The Harder They Come

----------------------------------
Totals:
Mainline titles: 54 (doesn't include repackaging OOP titles)
Eclipse sets: 1
Essential Art House: 4
Merchant Ivory: 17 (not including Howard's End)
Other: 1 (Murderous Maids)

---------------------------------
Endangered list (Potential to go OOP in the future)

Chasing Amy (Criterion claims it is not OOP, but its owned by Lionsgate)
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (now distributed by Warner Bros - like Chasing Amy, the new distributor has decided to takeover distribution, while maintaining the Criterion status, thus it is not technically OOP, and will not unless Lionsgate/WB decide to do things differently, thus they are here in this section).

------
Westchester films (now owned by Shout! Factory) - Digital media deal only, apparently. Shouldn't affect physical media/Criterion. Will remove these once the clamor cools in a few days.

Breaker Morant
Foreign Correspondent
Hopscotch
I Married a Witch
Insomnia
John Cassavetes Box (possibly safe from Westchester's demise)
Othello
Quadrophenia
Room with a View
The Ruling Class
Stagecoach
To Be or Not To Be
--------------------------------------

Edit 24: Moves the Handmade Films to the "repackage section (thus the total mainline OOPs go from 63 to 59) -because these films are now owned by Janus, thus the only thing keeping them from being back into print is their eventual upgrade /repackaging -thus they are no different than say BRD Trilogy, etc -hence the move + the decrease in OOP by 4. I also made a note about MGM titles -as they are highly likely to be back into print.

Edit 29: Chungking Express is on Filmstruck with Criterion branding. Chungking opens with Criterion/Janus logos, thus I now consider it back as a Janus title - so it is now removed from the Studio Canal list (because Studio Canal was the distributor for Miramax films), and is now in the repackaging section (like what has happened with the Handmade Films - where Criterion own the rights again, thus its just a matter of "repackaging into a new edition" rather than being OOP due to rights).

Edit 31: Straw Dogs is back in print! Also moved the three Hitchcock films from MGM to Disney and made note about their likelihood.

Edit 41: Tokyo Olympiad is back!

Edit 43: Silence of the Lambs is back!

Edit 44: The Two of Us is now with Cohen

Last edited by Minkin on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 44 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Criterion OOP
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:06 am 

Cool, thanks for this thread! I've been looking for a list like this for a while, and I'll definitely appreciate having an ongoing reference.

I knew there were a lot of StudioCanal titles, of course, but hadn't realized that that actually made up at least half of the OOPs.

Where are you getting "Repackaging / Blu-Ray upgrade" for BRD, Golden Age, Pandora, and Pygmalion?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:39 am 

Are the sternberg set, the killers and le samurai also in repackaging/upgrade limbo?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:52 am 

Valin Kenobi wrote:
I knew there were a lot of StudioCanal titles, of course, but hadn't realized that that actually made up at least half of the OOPs.

Where are you getting "Repackaging / Blu-Ray upgrade" for BRD, Golden Age, Pandora, and Pygmalion?
I too was surprised by the Studio Canal tally - didn't realize there were about 40 titles removed from Criterion thanks to them.

I took my list from the OOP page on our site (linked in my first post). Criterion still owns the rights to the films in the repackage section, thus they are merely going OOP at the end of a pressing/due to a blu-ray upgrade/ packaging change. Pygmalion is a strange case, since they took it OOP because the Essential Art House version of the film was basically the same as the mainline release (so it didn't make sense to have both in print).

There are some titles that have been mentioned elsewhere as being OOP (Killers, Samourai, Last Wave, etc) - but the Criterion website still shows them as in print (and I'm treating the Criterion site as this list's Bible) - so I'll keep them off until Criterion's site changes (though I'd imagine that blu-rays are forthcoming any month now). I'll add the Sternberg set, since the Criterion site lists that as "not OOP, but available at Amazon.com" - which indicates a high probability of package changes/Blu-ray upgrade.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:22 am 

Minkin wrote:
I took my list from the OOP page on our site (linked in my first post). Criterion still owns the rights to the films in the repackage section, thus they are merely going OOP at the end of a pressing/due to a blu-ray upgrade/ packaging change. Pygmalion is a strange case, since they took it OOP because the Essential Art House version of the film was basically the same as the mainline release (so it didn't make sense to have both in print).

Makes sense, thanks! Now I'm doubly glad I've resisted coughing up for BRD if a Blu release is possible down the line.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:23 pm 

I'll also post this here, since more people will probably see it, rather than scrolling through the Forthcoming discussion:

Saw this comment on the bluray.com news page:
Nailwraps wrote:
Unfortunately, this deal is for broadcast/non-physical media only. So for those who hoping for new Blu/DVD releases of the films in this library, sorry to give your hopes up.
Perhaps we were being overly hasty and none of the Westchester films are in any danger of going OOP? They make it sound like the deal pertains only to Shout's digital ventures. So perhaps Breaker Morant will disappear from Hulu, but a blu (from Criterion) would still be forthcoming. Shout are starting a digital channel (like TCM/Fox Movie Channel/MGM movie channel/etc), so this deal would give them some actual content, but it sounds like physical media is not going to be impacted (I suppose someone can double/triple check with Shout and Westchester).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:54 pm 

Criterion's website lists Vampyr as OOP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:00 pm 

Probably packaging again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:02 pm 

Yeah, the fact that it's still on Hulu+ probably indicates that it's not gone for good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:15 pm 

The Golden Age of Television is back in print in a slim case, as expected. Saw it in a store a couple days ago.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:02 pm 

Are the discs destined for repackaging usually listed as OOP on Criterion's site? Seeing an official out of print notice like that makes me wonder if it really is going away.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:27 pm 

BRD Trilogy is also listed as "Out of Print" but we know it isn't.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:29 pm 

OK, maybe no urgency to pick up Vampyr then, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:32 pm 

Drucker wrote:

It isn't? Then where can you find it for a reasonable price?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:35 pm 

I should have added "permanently" out of print. It was confirmed from Criterion that BRD would eventually be back in print, and therefore, this isn't your last chance ever to get this DVD at a reasonable price. But hey, I love this film, and think it should be urgently seen by any film lover!

Last edited by Drucker on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:42 pm 

Well, until Criterion says otherwise, I would say that this is a time to be picking up Vampyr if you want to be sure you don't go without, especially if you want the big book that it comes with. I can't envision how they would repackage this without getting rid of the book.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:52 pm 
Dot Com Dom

The DVD is only $14.53 at DVDPlanet right now

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:02 pm 
Not PETA approved

Also a perfect time to watch it as the film club will be discussing it for the next two weeks. More participation is always welcome!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:38 pm 

There was some talk about Cohen, as part of the pirate Rohaeur collection, also claimed rights to Vampyr. That said, Nick (MoC) said those claims were absolutely BS and most likely had to do with a butchered version of the film that the Rohauer guy slapped together. Plus I think Criterion has already pulled the relevant titles OOP due to Cohen (Robeson + WC Fields 6 films). Not all of the Rohauer claims are accurate by any means, as witnessed by the Riefenstahl titles. So, at worst there'd be competing editions - a PD Banidt version (as has happened many times before - Nanook, Things to Come, etc) and the official licensed Criterion edition.

All that said, I'd imagine they are just dropping the large book for Vampyr, as they've come upon a trend of streamlining their booklet content lately (after giving us better hope of large book releases lately - Red River, Picnic..). Chris has reported that most all new releases just have a leaflet, rather than a hearty booklet (which I can't blame Criterion, as shipping costs have gone through the roof, and they always want more content for their website). Either way, it should be worth owning the version with the large book plus the eventual blu-ray. I've already picked up the DVD, expecting such an eventuality.

I'd guess that The Furies, Mr Arkadin, Two-Lane Blacktop (any others I've missed?) will likely have a similar fate at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:30 am 

It is actually already the case with Two Lane Blacktop which has sadly lost the Script reproduction during its upgrade.

However, with indeed the resurgence of putting the movie with its original novel, maybe The Furies and Mr Arkadin would come with their respective books, since it's not a question of "analytical / scholar" content.
This being said, I'm afraid Picnic and Red River might remain exceptions amongst Criterion current editorial lines (which is sad).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:33 am 

We can add Six Moral Tales to the discussion of releases with an actual book included.

So can we conclude that from here on out only 'special' releases like Y Tu Mama Tambien and Eraserhead will have nice booklets while La Dolce Vita and Macbeth only get pamphlets? Saying that, I'm curious to know how they determine which standalone releases are the more "special" ones meriting more slick packaging, and not just a Scanavo jewel case with a pamphlet. Like why Breathless, Persona and Amarcord but not Jules and Jum and/or La Dolce Vita and/or The 400 Blows and/or 8 1/2?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:30 pm 

domino harvey wrote:
The DVD is only $14.53 at DVDPlanet right now

Great deal, thank you! I took swo17's advice and snapped it up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:17 pm 

Thanks for the tip on "Vampyr" at DVDplanet. I've been meaning to replace copy with the missing book since forever. Saved me a bundle. Don't forget to use the Promo code SPOOKY for an extra 10%.

It's a bummer we're unlikely to get books ever again since dual format was dropped. I would note that the brief "dual format" period was the only time Criterion releases have come with books since BluRay was introduced. I may need to snag "The Furies" and "Picnic at Hanging Rock" before they go away as well. (Unfortunately "Picnic..." will be a double-dip over the more richly featured Second Sight BluRay.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:37 pm 

If all you want from Criterion's Picnic at Hanging Rock is the book, it's readily available to buy separately.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:29 am 

Drucker wrote:

Hi Rodrigo,

Thanks for your email. Generally when a Criterion title, such as THE
BRD TRILOGY, has gone
out of print it is because we lost the rights, and despite our efforts
to renew, we were unable to. (It's definitely not for lack of
interest!) If we should ever recover the rights to any of our
out-of-print titles, we will happily re-release them. However, to the
best of my knowledge, there are no immediate plans to re-release this
box-set.

I hope this information is helpful and please let me know if you have
any more questions. Thank you for supporting the Criterion Collection!
Sincerely,

Jon Mulvaney

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next