Collecting Criterion

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Criterion Blu-ray

#26 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:56 pm

Even if it was a used copy, they'll sell you a booklet for $5 a pop (including shipping).

rrenault

#27 Post by rrenault » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:57 pm

swo17 wrote:Even if it was a used copy, they'll sell you a booklet for $5 a pop (including shipping).
Maybe not if it's OOP though.

Moe Dickstein

#28 Post by Moe Dickstein » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:01 pm

what is kevyip?

rrenault

#29 Post by rrenault » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Moe Dickstein wrote:what is kevyip?
unwatched DVDs in your collection.

Bando

#30 Post by Bando » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:03 pm

swo17 wrote:Even if it was a used copy, they'll sell you a booklet for $5 a pop (including shipping).
Have people actually had success with this? I bought a used copy of the Brazil DVD box a few months back and there wasn't a booklet. I assumed it was one of the first run that mistakenly shipped without booklets, so I sent an email to Criterion asking if I could get/buy a booklet. No response. It's fine, it's an older release, but still a bit frustrating to not even get a "no."

Moe Dickstein

#31 Post by Moe Dickstein » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:10 pm

rrenault wrote:
I might go that route, when I have everything just send out one request to save on the shipping. The one OOP thing that I can't get that I want badly is an Amaray case for my Third Man Blu, I've replaced EVERY SINGLE other digipak with the Amaray but not that one.

Maybe I can find someone that only has the Amaray and wants the digipak and do an even swap lol

Moe Dickstein

#32 Post by Moe Dickstein » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:11 pm

rrenault wrote:
I know there's a story on how that got to be called that.

I have an entire shelving unit devoted to the DVDs and Blus I haven't watched yet. I keep them segregated as a means to force myself to watch before integrating them into the main shelves, however Criterions are mixed because the spine numbers rule all.

Matt

#33 Post by Matt » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:30 pm

Moe Dickstein wrote:
rrenault wrote:
I know there's a story on how that got to be called that.
More of a novella.

vsski

#34 Post by vsski » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:31 pm

Bando wrote:
Have people actually had success with this? I bought a used copy of the Brazil DVD box a few months back and there wasn't a booklet. I assumed it was one of the first run that mistakenly shipped without booklets, so I sent an email to Criterion asking if I could get/buy a booklet. No response. It's fine, it's an older release, but still a bit frustrating to not even get a "no."
Did this just the other week and got the replacement within a few days. It's not explicitly stated on their website (at least not that I can find), but you send them a PayPal (no credit cards) payment for $5 for each cover or booklet with your mailing address and the name of what you want replaced in the notes field and that's it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#35 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:36 pm

rrenault wrote:
Correct.

rrenault

#36 Post by rrenault » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:44 pm

vsski wrote:
Bando wrote:
Did this just the other week and got the replacement within a few days. It's not explicitly stated on their website (at least not that I can find), but you send them a PayPal (no credit cards) payment for $5 for each cover or booklet with your mailing address and the name of what you want replaced in the notes field and that's it.

Can this work for discs, like if you want to replace one disc in a six-disc set, for instance? Obviously a disc might be more than $5, but still. And also how do you specify in Paypal that its directed to Criterion? In other words, how do you make it payable to the right recipient?

vsski

#37 Post by vsski » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:48 pm

I don't know about discs, as the only ones I ever exchanged were ones that had a noted defect (and those were exchanged for free). As to the PayPal thing you send money by using their e-mail address (store@criterion.com).

rrenault

Re: Collecting Criterion

#38 Post by rrenault » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:56 pm

Okay, thanks.

And yeah, only in the November 2012 B&N sale I got a defective Walkabout disc. That was a pain in the ass, especially when you live overseas and have to have it shipped to Stateside relative first.

matrixschmatrix

#39 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Man, that's always a super frustrating flame out, because I'd have a lot of interest in some of the same subjects that dude brings up in the first part, but he was uh not doing a good job of making a discussion happen.

rrenault

#40 Post by rrenault » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:03 pm

cpetrizzi wrote:Yes, you are right! Brazil is the last of the "original" LD logo spines. I have only the blue box set and keep it housed with my other box sets in a smaller shelf right above 1-50. I wonder if the original release (single movie?) is still kicking around somewhere!
Why did Grand Illusion have the new logo if it was spine no. 1? Was it a re-release?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#41 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:07 pm

rrenault wrote:Can this work for discs, like if you want to replace one disc in a six-disc set, for instance? Obviously a disc might be more than $5, but still. And also how do you specify in Paypal that its directed to Criterion? In other words, how do you make it payable to the right recipient?
No. But if you buy the set new and a disc is faulty, they'll typically offer you a free replacement.
rrenault wrote:Why did Grand Illusion have the new logo if it was spine no. 1? Was it a re-release?
Its spine number was reserved from the beginning but it didn't come out until almost two years later.

rrenault

#42 Post by rrenault » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:09 pm

So should this develop into a "list every Criterion you own" thread, or does that already exist on here somwhere?

Kauno

#43 Post by Kauno » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:28 pm

cdnchris
Site Admin

#44 Post by cdnchris » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:38 pm

To add on to what swo said about Grand Illusion coming out almost 2 years later, the initial release was to be a straight port of the laserdisc (with a similar cover) until better elements were discovered. It then went through a full restoration and (I believe) a theatrical run before Criterion released their DVD.

Matt

#45 Post by Matt » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:45 pm

rrenault wrote:So should this develop into a "list every Criterion you own" thread
That would be a good way for the thread to get quickly locked. Those who feel the need to make such a list should use this. Or some other forum.

movielocke

#46 Post by movielocke » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:58 pm

I don't collect the entire collection, but the BN sales over the past three-four years plus the introduction of bluray have made me go from a collection of about 20 criterion DVDs to several box sets and nearly a hundred blurays. I started off deciding to just 'collect' eclipse, because that way I could get the whole set (there were only 11 or 12 at the time of the first BN sale, and Borders were closing all over the year before and I'd bought the 5 or 6 eclipses I was most interested in at big discounts). Since then I've maintained a complete set of eclipse titles while being more selective about criterions.

In january of this year I finally wiped out all my kevyip criterion blurays--at least kevyip in terms of being blind buys, never before seen--and I've kept that up as I've added to the collection. Of course I still have tons of dvds and blurays I've bought but not watched since buying, that number is larger than I can count. My kevyip of blind buy blurays is down to about a dozen, but my kevyip of blind buy dvds (including eclipse titles) is a skosh over 200. Hopefully I'll whittle that down as I've largely curtailed my purchasing since getting married.

matrixschmatrix

#47 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:07 pm

The lists threads are murder to my kevyip, since I'm constantly overwhelming myself with purchases from some particular genre or decade while trying to keep up on trades and deals for other movies- so I wind up getting stuff that I won't be able to watch for a long, long time. Though at least while I was doing decades more than genres, they also provided a structure that helped me take out a lot of movies I'd had for a while without watching.

Perhaps ironically, if I were richer, I might have fewer movies, since I could just buy them precisely when I wished to watch them- as is, I have to buy them when they're cheap. I'll be going on a long hiatus from buying stuff, for a few months at least, after this Criterion sale, though.

rrenault

#48 Post by rrenault » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:19 pm

I'll [The Site Which Shall Not Be Named] something if I really need to, although I'm sure that's a cardinal sin among boutique DVD collectors.

rrenault

#50 Post by rrenault » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:26 pm

Why yes, at least I hope so