Criterion and Dual Format

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

Re: Criterion Goes Dual-Format

#51 Post by jindianajonz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:40 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they raise the prices in a few months, once we get accustomed to the dual format idea. If they had paired the price hike with these releases, people complaining about prices would dwarf any discussion about the utility of dual format; but by releasing these first people will have time to "appreciate" the concept.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#52 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:41 pm

I don't think they'll raise prices at all. They already charge the highest MSRP of any comparable indie label

captveg

#53 Post by captveg » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:44 pm

I imagine the savings for them in packaging will be quite substantial.

I'm all for this move... provided the cases are Blu-sized.

Perkins Cobb

#54 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:44 pm

warren oates wrote:Same with Netflix.
That's pretty optimistic, no? Netflix has been so anemic about acquiring Criterion & Eclipse on DVD that I bet this will just give them an excuse to stop altogether. Jesus, they suck.

vsski

#55 Post by vsski » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:45 pm

Moe Dickstein wrote:Another thought I just had looking at Tokyo Story, since many titles will now be 3 discs (Blu and 2 DVD) I think this may mean a big rise in Digipaks, or at least some sort of new case design.
They may also chose what MOC did with the Mizoguchis, where they have one BD on a hinge insert inside the plastic dual eight case.

Moe Dickstein

#56 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:47 pm

Night of the Hunter is a digipak though right? Or is my mind failing me

movielocke

#57 Post by movielocke » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Night of the Hunter is a keepcase on dvd and unfortunately its a digipak on bluray.

georgec

#58 Post by georgec » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:51 pm

I really like the idea.

I wonder what sales statistics are for movies with DVD and BD releases? I'm guessing DVD sales are good enough that Criterion thinks people won't mind paying a little extra for a dual package since it's a good investment for the future and eventuality of upgrading to BD.

Moe Dickstein

#59 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:52 pm

vsski wrote:
Moe Dickstein wrote:Another thought I just had looking at Tokyo Story, since many titles will now be 3 discs (Blu and 2 DVD) I think this may mean a big rise in Digipaks, or at least some sort of new case design.
They may also chose what MOC did with the Mizoguchis, where they have one BD on a hinge insert inside the plastic dual eight case.
Could be, though that means new cases. For 2 disc in a Blu case they have that covered already. It's sure that this has been in the works a while and they must have it sorted out but I look forward to seeing what they come up with.

I'm also relieved that it was Tokyo Story personally as I held off buying that and it will complete my collection :)

Movielocke - That explains our differing memories, thanks! I didn't know there was any title like that with a split in packaging format.

vsski

#60 Post by vsski » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:53 pm

captveg wrote:I'm all for this move... provided the cases are Blu-sized.
Unless my eyes deceive me the Zatoichi digipack looks completely square to me, neither DVD or BD format.

Moe Dickstein

#61 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:54 pm

georgec wrote:I really like the idea.

I wonder what sales statistics are for movies with DVD and BD releases? I'm guessing DVD sales are good enough that Criterion thinks people won't mind paying a little extra for a dual package since it's a good investment for the future and eventuality of upgrading to BD.
On the contrary - this says to me that DVD sales as a percentage of the whole have fallen to the point where it's not worth doing separate releases.

This is the first step towards elimination of DVD releases period, it will all go to Blu exclusively next, but don't look for that to happen for a few more years at least.

Moe Dickstein

#62 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:56 pm

vsski wrote:
Unless my eyes deceive me the Zatoichi digipack looks completely square to me, neither DVD or BD format.
Perhaps it's a Blu-height box, that just goes deeper than a regular box would. This is certainly the first non-standard box they've released that was spine numbered. I'm a little worried that we can't see the other side of that box to confirm that it will have the same spine layout to fit in with everything since usually the boxes like that would have the side banner on both sides with the spine number but it's not there on the open side of that box.

matrixschmatrix

#63 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:59 pm

This may shock you guys, but there are already people complaining about the dual release format on Criterion's facebook, on the grounds that they should just drop the dvds. You know, the ones that cost you literally nothing extra to get.

johnnysnatchclub7

#64 Post by johnnysnatchclub7 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:03 pm

Does anyone know how to view this new artwork without the dual format stickers on them? I like to save each Criterion cover as a file in spine sequential order and for at least seven years these serve as my screensaver. I used to just grab from the DVD pic but now that is not an option. I know, first world problems.

captveg

#65 Post by captveg » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Moe Dickstein wrote:
vsski wrote:
Perhaps it's a Blu-height box, that just goes deeper than a regular box would. This is certainly the first non-standard box they've released that was spine numbered. I'm a little worried that we can't see the other side of that box to confirm that it will have the same spine layout to fit in with everything since usually the boxes like that would have the side banner on both sides with the spine number but it's not there on the open side of that box.
That's what I assumed - everything Blu-ray box height. Obviously Zatoichi is a unique case across the board.

Minkin

#66 Post by Minkin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:13 pm

Why would any of the Blu camp possibly be able to complain about a free $30 add-on to all of their normal purchases? The Facebook crowd is barely one step above Youtube comments.

This is perhaps Criterion's best decision in recent years. I've bought a few DVDs so that they could be watched on the go/Mac. Will save me a lot of expense since I was going to have to buy DVDs and Blus for all of the Demys (for my SO).

The Criterion DVD and Blu prices had become pretty bloated. Prices have dropped so significantly since the onset of Bluray, that companies can make profit from $5 blurays. The $40 price tag worked when companies were selling Rambo for that price, but everything has since declined dramatically. DVDs at $30 in 2013 does seem silly (though not as bad as the $20 Harry Potter VHS I saw at Rite-Aid the other day). So both formats for $40 is great value, and in keeping with what nearly every other indie label is doing.

Now if we could only get MOC to disregard that idiotic Facebook poll (yeah, that probably wasn't the only factor) and return to Dual format.

Vegeta84

#67 Post by Vegeta84 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:16 pm

I don't mind the price, but I still only buy DVDs and the one thing I'm worried about is keeping my collection looking uniform. I guess I could always buy empty DVD boxes and put in the Blu-Ray sleeve? Wouldn't exactly look great, but the size of the boxes would be the same at least.

zedz

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#68 Post by zedz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:17 pm

movielocke wrote:
Feego wrote:
movielocke wrote:I wonder if with Tokyo Story they'll just recycle the existing dvd edition in with the new bluray disc.
I don't see why they would do that. If they're working from a new scan, I'm sure Criterion will continue to produce new DVD editions along with Blus just like they always have. Only now they will be released in the same package rather than as separate editions.
What's the point of producing a new dvd edition if you're not going to sell it on its own?

If it were something like The Night Porter or A Taste of Cherry or Summertime where the dvd is unacceptable in 2013 (non anamorphic, wrong aspect ratio), then I could see the dvd of the dual format also being new, but for something like Tokyo story, or if they were to update Ikiru, I'd expect them to just say the current DVD is good enough for SD.
It's a brand new restoration, so of course they're going to press a new DVD, unless they want their brand-new dual format initiative to be launched with a shitload of negative publicity! Considering this is the first of them, they'll also want to have all of their branding updated on the menus and opening slug.

Moe Dickstein

#69 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Or put all your DVDs in Blu sized cases...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#70 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:20 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:This may shock you guys, but there are already people complaining about the dual release format on Criterion's facebook, on the grounds that they should just drop the dvds. You know, the ones that cost you literally nothing extra to get.
Thought I'd head over there and take a peak at what passes for discourse and
Ian Schultz Frances Ha fucking sucks ass, City Lights and Tokyo Story fuck ya though

Moe Dickstein

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#71 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:25 pm

movielocke wrote:
Feego wrote:
movielocke wrote:I wonder if with Tokyo Story they'll just recycle the existing dvd edition in with the new bluray disc.
I don't see why they would do that. If they're working from a new scan, I'm sure Criterion will continue to produce new DVD editions along with Blus just like they always have. Only now they will be released in the same package rather than as separate editions.
What's the point of producing a new dvd edition if you're not going to sell it on its own?

If it were something like The Night Porter or A Taste of Cherry or Summertime where the dvd is unacceptable in 2013 (non anamorphic, wrong aspect ratio), then I could see the dvd of the dual format also being new, but for something like Tokyo story, or if they were to update Ikiru, I'd expect them to just say the current DVD is good enough for SD.
Because there's a new 4k restoration of Tokyo Story so the old DVD is irrelevant.

The first upgrade we see that's not a redo we will get our answer.

Yaanu

#72 Post by Yaanu » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:27 pm

domino harvey wrote:
matrixschmatrix wrote:This may shock you guys, but there are already people complaining about the dual release format on Criterion's facebook, on the grounds that they should just drop the dvds. You know, the ones that cost you literally nothing extra to get.
Thought I'd head over there and take a peak at what passes for discourse and
Ian Schultz Frances Ha fucking sucks ass, City Lights and Tokyo Story fuck ya though
Your first mistake was heading straight to the comments section of the posts made by the Criterion Collection page itself.
If you want more grammatically-correct debate (though not necessarily as polite as the above example), try Posts By Others.

Gregory

#73 Post by Gregory » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Carried over from the "Forthcoming" thread:
Moe Dickstein wrote:
Finch wrote:Have to agree with movielocke that for bigger sets like the Zatoichi one it'd have been preferable to have DVD and BD sets.
Assuming no price difference in the two versions, why would you prefer that?
Are we really supposed to believe that a 9-Blu set could not have been offered to us more cheaply than a 9-Blu + 18 DVD set? I mean, the dual-format price is so low for that many discs that we have to consider Criterion generous, but they're not going to give away 18-DVDs for nothing are they? In other words, there's some cost savings on their end in only having to produce one set, but is that savings so drastic that they'd go ahead and include 18 DVDs in a set for no additional cost to us? Seems unlikely that the only two possible scenarios were:
$225 SRP 9-Blu-ray set
OR
$225 SRP 27-disc dual-format set

That just seems too pat.

knives

#74 Post by knives » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:05 pm

Considering the Cassavetes set featuring just over half the disc amount is $124.95 assuming that four additional Blus would add another hundred to that is not unreasonable.

Cash Flagg

#75 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:10 pm

knives wrote:Considering the Cassavetes set featuring just over half the disc amount is $124.95 assuming that four additional Blus would add another hundred to that is not unreasonable.
Although the BBS box which has six BDs is also $124.95, so it's more like three additional Blus for $100, if we're making comparisons.