Criterion and Dual Format

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
AMalickLensFlare

Re: Criterion Goes Dual-Format

#476 Post by AMalickLensFlare » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:24 pm

And I don't get how the BD purists could whine about having to make space for the DVDs. The dual-format cases aren't dramatically larger. Or is it that people use binders and throw/box away the cases? Ehh whatever. This is pretty disappointing, though.

Yaanu

#477 Post by Yaanu » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:30 pm

swo17 wrote:This is why we can't have nice things. But hey, at least they finally figured out a stylish 3-disc plastic case that will now get little use.
I was just about to comment on that. They had just now figured out a three-disc BD-sized plastic case, and this is what happens.
Well, at least they have the option. Maybe we'll luck out and we'll get Dual-Format upgrades in the future in the same way that we get BD upgrades now. I dunno how that'll work, though, so I guess it'll just be straight BD/DVD splits.

SpiderBaby

#478 Post by SpiderBaby » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:43 pm

Wonder if this will have any package changes to other volumes of the WCF sets now. The first is thicker due to extra disc space. I imagine the others will be the size of say, the Trilogy of Life set.

Minkin

#479 Post by Minkin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:49 pm

re: my comment about the end of novels/books being included-

Couldn't they just print a blu-ray size book and then have some cardboard divider in the DVD-sized case for it to fit? It doesn't seem terribly difficult for the books/novels to continue dual-format or not.

Feiereisel

#480 Post by Feiereisel » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:52 pm

SpiderBaby wrote:Wonder if this will have any package changes to other volumes of the WCF sets now. The first is thicker due to extra disc space. I imagine the others will be the size of say, the Trilogy of Life set.
That could very well be where those three-disc plastic cases wind up being used.

One of the things I'll miss is that a dual-format upgrade meant that a new DVD was pressed in addition to the blu-ray version, meaning everything got a bump, visually. It also seemed that the persistent window-boxing on the DVDs had stopped, as well. Hopefully that will continue, at least.

pzadvance

#481 Post by pzadvance » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:59 pm

Pretty bummed about this. Feels like a case of the negative response being the only response they were hearing, since the content customers didn't have as much cause for comment. I loved having the option of watching special features/commentaries on my laptop or desktop, especially since Apple seemingly has no interest in including BD drives in their computers.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#482 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:03 pm

I really hope this decision wasn't based on internet whiners but sales figures, which would be more difficult to argue with.

captveg

#483 Post by captveg » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:04 pm

Well, can't say I cared too much either way other than the heavier use of digipaks that just got solved anyway.

Ultimately, though, whatever. Just release the movies I want on BD and I'm good.

captveg

#484 Post by captveg » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:05 pm

I bet they're ticked that they ultimately couldn't see the cost savings of one package.

We should have seen the writing on the wall though for one reason only: Howards End being BD only initially because of the MIC DVD, but then needing to add a DVD release after the fact for completionists.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#485 Post by Shrew » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:15 pm

pzadvance wrote:Pretty bummed about this. Feels like a case of the negative response being the only response they were hearing, since the content customers didn't have as much cause for comment. I loved having the option of watching special features/commentaries on my laptop or desktop, especially since Apple seemingly has no interest in including BD drives in their computers.
Haven't most Apple machines just dropped disc drives in general? It's honestly a big reason I didn't buy a MacBook Air come my last laptop upgrade (that and the exorbitant price).

The culprits here are far more likely the DVD consumers. Coaster whiners are something that could have been ignored and would have gotten used to it (I seriously can't imagine that many Bluray users just refused to buy Dual Format releases). Criterion must have hoped that most institutions--universities, libraries, etc.--that were purchasing DVDs would be willing to get a DVD+Bluray instead. But because of difficulty filing DF releases, higher prices, whatever, they didn't go for it (hence the cheap DVD releases). I suppose there could have been a drop in the individual buyer market for DVDs too, but I can't see that having a terribly large impact.

Donald Brown

#486 Post by Donald Brown » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:17 pm

I wonder what the pricing will be. It's insulting that DVD-only editions are now $25, when they used to be $40 prior to the dual-format experiment. I have no preference for single- or dual-format, but I don't appreciate paying a $15 surcharge to get a Blu.

sir_luke

#487 Post by sir_luke » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:20 pm

Well, the DVDs are cheaper now because they often don't have any or all of the supplements included on the Blu-Ray. Once they make the switch back, all content will be available on both editions, and the price will probably go back up to match the Blu.

fdm

#488 Post by fdm » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:41 pm

Works for me.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#489 Post by Drucker » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:41 pm

Really disappointed. The prospect of playing the DVDs in the computer while I watched from bed was great. I'm going on a family vacation in a few weeks and am looking forward to watching A Hard Day's Night with everyone and not having to buy a separate DVD to do so!

The DVD buyers who aren't even considering the prospect that they may upgrade to BD are being short-sighted and paying the same amount they were paying before. I just don't get it.

matrixschmatrix

#490 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:13 pm

Well, fortunately for you, A Hard Day's Night is still a dual release!

This is certainly a shame, but hopefully it will reintroduce the $30 price point blus that seem to have disappeared. And, selfishly, make it possible to unload the DVDs that get blu releases for some kind of decent price.

Donald Brown

#491 Post by Donald Brown » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:25 pm

sir_luke wrote:Well, the DVDs are cheaper now because they often don't have any or all of the supplements included on the Blu-Ray. Once they make the switch back, all content will be available on both editions, and the price will probably go back up to match the Blu.
No, only a few of them have had reduced extras. Most of them have been stacked. Either they're undercharging for them at $25, or were overcharging for them when they were $40.

sir_luke

#492 Post by sir_luke » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:45 pm

My mistake. I saw several of the stripped-down releases and assumed that was the norm.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#493 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:47 pm

There is not a fifteen dollar difference for consumers unless you are paying MSRP, in which case you probably don't know how the Internet works and thus can't read this

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#494 Post by Drucker » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:04 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:Well, fortunately for you, A Hard Day's Night is still a dual release!
Indeed, but it won't be the norm, unfortunately!

FrauBlucher

#495 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:15 pm

The only thing that disappoints me about all this is that there is still a very high demand for DVD. I would've hoped by now that blu ray would have steadily overtaken DVD, but clearly not the case. The failure for this lies with the studios for their weak promotion of the blu format and their furtive eye on streaming.
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yaanu

#496 Post by Yaanu » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:33 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:The only thing that disappoints me about all this is that there is still a very high demand for DVD. I would've hoped by now that blu ray would have steadily overtaken DVD, but clearly not the case. The failure for this lies with the studios for their weak promotion of the blu format and there furtive eye on streaming.
VHS was introduced in 1977 and didn't die out as a home-video format until 2007. DVDs were released in 1997, and Blu-ray only ten years later.
So both DVDs and Blu-ray Disc are relatively young formats, so it'll still be a while before BD trumps DVD.

I guess when they start making everything with built-in BD players and when all CRT and other standard-definition TVs are recalled by their manufacturers due to some kind of lead poisoning is when we'll finally see Blu-ray conquer the world.

FrauBlucher

#497 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:39 pm

Yaanu wrote:I guess when they start making everything with built-in BD players and when all CRT and other standard-definition TVs are recalled by their manufacturers due to some kind of lead poisoning is when we'll finally see Blu-ray conquer the world.
It is too late. I'm afraid that blu ray will be nothing more than a niche format.

Yaanu

#498 Post by Yaanu » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:41 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Yaanu wrote:I guess when they start making everything with built-in BD players and when all CRT and other standard-definition TVs are recalled by their manufacturers due to some kind of lead poisoning is when we'll finally see Blu-ray conquer the world.
It is too late. I'm afraid that blu ray will be nothing more than a niche format.
That's exactly what they said about LaserDisc and Betamax, and look what happened to those!

felipe

#499 Post by felipe » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:30 am

Drucker wrote:The DVD buyers who aren't even considering the prospect that they may upgrade to BD are being short-sighted and paying the same amount they were paying before. I just don't get it.
These are Criterion buyers and not housewives who might be still unaware of what a blu-ray is. I think these people that are still buying dvds in 2014, they're might just never upgrade to blu.

Noiradelic

#500 Post by Noiradelic » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:52 am

FrauBlucher wrote:The failure for this lies with the studios for their strong promotion of streaming and their furtive eye on Blu Ray.
Fixed.