Criterion and Dual Format

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#26 Post by Drucker » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:20 pm

Moe Dickstein wrote:
Vegeta84 wrote:Also hoping the duel formats are in DVD boxes. Never been a fan of how fragile/thin blu-ray discs cases are.
GROSS! No! Have you seen Criterion Blu cases? They are the opposite of thin and fragile.
They are elegant. Beautiful like a woman, but robust like a man.

PfR73

#27 Post by PfR73 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:20 pm

Vegeta84 wrote:Also hoping the duel formats are in DVD boxes. Never been a fan of how fragile/thin blu-ray discs cases are.
Criterion clear Blu cases are just as sturdy as a normal DVD case.

These better be in Blu cases or I'll just lose it.

rwiggum

#28 Post by rwiggum » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:20 pm

What? If anything, the DVD cases are more fragile, since the length decreases the support in the middle. Otherwise, they're exactly the same.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Criterion Goes Dual-Format

#29 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:21 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:That'll force my library to buy Criterion Blu-rays and save me some money, I guess. In theory.
This.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#30 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Proposal to ban the first member to refer to the DVD edition as a coaster

knives

#31 Post by knives » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:22 pm

I second the proposal.

Matt

#32 Post by Matt » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:23 pm

Motion carried.

med

#33 Post by med » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:23 pm

swo17 wrote:
Perkins Cobb wrote:That'll force my library to buy Criterion Blu-rays and save me some money, I guess. In theory.
This.
I seem to recall some of this board's UK contingent mentioning a decrease in library copies of BFI and MoC titles after they went (mostly) dual format.

Moe Dickstein

#34 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:23 pm

The DVD is the one you lend out to people to get them hooked on Criterion without risking the precious Blu copy...

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#35 Post by Brian C » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:24 pm

domino harvey wrote:Proposal to ban the first member to refer to the DVD edition as a coaster
Um ... but just there ... what you did ... oh, never mind.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#36 Post by cdnchris » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:28 pm

I'm happy only because this means I don't have to enter the same title twice into this site's database (thanks to my shitty database design I just can't bring myself to fix.)

Matt

#37 Post by Matt » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:29 pm

med wrote:
swo17 wrote:
This.
I seem to recall some of this board's UK contingent mentioning a decrease in library copies of BFI and MoC titles after they went (mostly) dual format.
Speaking as a librarian, I dislike this decision because we will now have to create two catalog records for each release and I will have to photocopy the cover and process a new case for each disc the way I already have to do for their 2-disc DVD releases. Also, there's very little support for Blu-ray at my school (3 publicly-accessible players on campus, total?) which means I'll be paying several dollars more per release for something few people can use. But it's not like I'm going to stop buying Criterions for the library collection. It just complicates things a little more. And I'll never have to waste money again by buying both editions (which I've occasionally had to do).

The Narrator Returns

#38 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:29 pm

I think this is a really smart decision, and I support it.

And now, for your convenience, here is a DVD copy of that remark;

Í̷̷̳͔͖ ̵̭͍͍͘t̴̳̞̙̙̗͟h̗͖̖̪̞͇͚͓̘i̢̼̯͓͎͟͢n̨͔̪̟̞̳͘ͅk͎̹͈̤̹̣ͅ ̷̡̼̩̣͢t̮͉̺͟h̸̙̣͈͔͎ị̼̤̟̹͙̕s͏͍̣͚̩̥ ̫ị̼̗͖̦̦͈̱̲s̛̞͚̜̥̭̝͍͢͞ ͖̖̣̼͖͘͘ḁͅ ̘̫̤͍̰͠r̡̬̲͍ę̨̼̻̞̙͓͚͢ą̘͘l̶̞͖͘l̜̤͍͡y̭͖̺̱̣̕ ̲̣̻͔͕͇̹́͠͠s҉̞̱̣̜̘̕m̶̞̤͈̪͓͕̙͢a̛̘̫̲r̢͇͙̮͜͡t̡̘̣͇̤̱ ̘̜̗̻͡ḓ̶̥͢e̷̸̘̗͎̬̞̗̯̪c̮̟̳̀į̟̱́͜s̨̺̪̗̣̘̘͟i̼̖̲̬̥ͅo҉͏̝n̹̩̼͢,̸̵̣̗̠̖͓̮͍̀ ̴̦͘͟a̴͇̬͍̯̣̹n̸͖̤͈̮̦̲̪̻d̴͖̱͍̤̙͇̰ ̸̛̣̪͠Ị̡̘̲̬ ͏̜s̨̬͓̰̖̪u̦̭͕̰̙̟͕͚̭͠p̨̫͈̱̭̱̟̹p͔̣͚̻͖͙̝̀͢͢ó̮̖̟͚̰̘̺͜ͅr̶̢̞͇̘̣̗̗͙͔͘t̨̼̖́ ̢̙̖̣̺̦̹̙̣͠i̢̬̘͘t̷̝͔͈͚͢͞.̛̯

Cronenfly

#39 Post by Cronenfly » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:30 pm

Depends: at my local library, with dual formats they only circulate the DVDs, the Blus I assume go home with whoever is processing the titles. They have my undying envy, especially with this announcement.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#40 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:30 pm

As a teacher, I love it because it (and all dual format releases) because I have a DVD player in my classroom but not a Blu-ray player, so I buy the Blu-ray for me and the DVD is thrown in to possibly be shown in class, everyone wins!

Gregory

#41 Post by Gregory » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:31 pm

med wrote:
swo17 wrote:
This.
Based on my observations of my local library system (the second-busiest in the U.S., yet they've resisted circulating anything on Blu), it may lead them to order fewer Criterion releases, and those they buy will be for the DVDs alone, and they'll toss the Blu-rays.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#42 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:33 pm

My library system refuses to buy solo Blu releases, but will buy basically any dual format release I request (and package the two together if you check them out), so this will be great for me. Although so much for ever getting a decent price again reselling a DVD that gets upgraded.

Moe Dickstein

#43 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:34 pm

Considering the price is the same, why would anyone who wants the DVDs even care that they're getting a Blu for free? It's not hindering them in any way

Askew

#44 Post by Askew » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:34 pm

The best part of going dual format for me is that I can sell or gift the dvds. It will be interesting to see if Criterion starts to put older releases that are already out in both formats into dual cases.
Last edited by Askew on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#45 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:35 pm

Moe Dickstein wrote:Considering the price is the same, why would anyone who wants the DVDs even care that they're getting a Blu for free? It's not hindering them in any way
Actually, it's $10 more for DVD-only consumers. But any HD holdouts have been fighting the tide for as long as they could

Oedipax

#46 Post by Oedipax » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:35 pm

Yeah, I bought a DVD copy of Rosetta to screen one time after already having bought the bluray (and the R2 DVD set before that), so this would've saved me a few bucks and been pretty cool. Here's hoping they stick with the blu-ray sized boxes, I'm sure they will.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#47 Post by cdnchris » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:37 pm

They obviously have 2disc releases covered, but what about 3 (like Tokyo Story)?

Tom Hagen

#48 Post by Tom Hagen » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:38 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Moe Dickstein wrote:Considering the price is the same, why would anyone who wants the DVDs even care that they're getting a Blu for free? It's not hindering them in any way
Actually, it's $10 more for DVD-only consumers. But any HD holdouts have been fighting the tide for as long as they could
The glass half full scenario is that they had a good (?) run of three or so years where they were getting subsidized by the Blu-ray consumers to the tune of $10 a release from what they would have otherwise been paying for a top-tier release during the DVD-only days.

Moe Dickstein

#49 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:38 pm

Another thought I just had looking at Tokyo Story, since many titles will now be 3 discs (Blu and 2 DVD) I think this may mean a big rise in Digipaks, or at least some sort of new case design.

Is Science is Fiction the only 3 disc release in an Amaray?

Dom - yes of course, though I'm sure those that really don't want the Blu can sell that disc alone on eBay for at least $10...

knives

#50 Post by knives » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Moe Dickstein wrote:Another thought I just had looking at Tokyo Story, since many titles will now be 3 discs (Blu and 2 DVD) I think this may mean a big rise in Digipaks, or at least some sort of new case design.

Is Science is Fiction the only 3 disc release in an Amaray?

Dom - yes of course, though I'm sure those that really don't want the Blu can sell that disc alone on eBay for at least $10...
Night of the Hunter too.