Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 6

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
ianungstad

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#26 Post by ianungstad » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:51 pm

Follow any film festival and you'll see that independent production companies sell on a film to film basis. Each distribution deal has it's own unique set of terms.

criterion10

#27 Post by criterion10 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:56 pm

Of course, though I'm not sure that this applies to The Music Lovers. Knowing a fair amount about Russell, I was always under the impression that UA financed the film, and that they now outright own it. Regardless, the rights for it and Valentino are currently with MGM.

I can't comment on Women in Love though. I always thought MGM owned it, though if what you're saying is true, I suppose the rights have bounced back to the producer. I guess it would depend on the contract made during the time period, which of course I am unfamiliar with.

Lowry_Sam

#28 Post by Lowry_Sam » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Speaking of MGM/United Artists... Has Woody Allen dropped from Criterion's radar because of his no extras pledge? I can't believe Criterion let TT release The Front (and Crimes and Misdemeanors), I've been begging for them to pick it up for years since it's right up their alley (an overlooked American indie film with critical acclaim & historical import) & it's rife for extras (and since it wasn't directed by Allen, there probably wouldn't be objections). Take The Money And Run and bananas would be a nice Criterion twofer (and they're out of print), even if they only contain a trailer.

HitchcockLang

#29 Post by HitchcockLang » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:26 pm

I personally was hoping for a CC release of Take the Money and Run with Harvey Wallinger as an extra. Do you think Woody would allow that even?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#30 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:30 pm

These films seem to be handled fine already. If extras are not an option, there's nothing Criterion could do to improve on, say, the Manhattan BD.

Lowry_Sam

#31 Post by Lowry_Sam » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:54 pm

swo17 wrote:These films seem to be handled fine already. If extras are not an option, there's nothing Criterion could do to improve on, say, the Manhattan BD.
Except present Take The Money And Run in the right aspect ratio.

giovannii84

#32 Post by giovannii84 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:36 am

A Ken Russell film id love to see get Criterion treatment is 'The Boyfriend'.
It deserves much better than The Warner Archive treatment & will probably never get a BD release.

Criterion could pull together some really good extras like interviews and/or commentary with its many surviving stars (e.g.: Twiggy, Tommy Tune, Glenda Jackson, Barbara Windsor, Georgina Hale, etc.)

Even having this as an extra to another Russell title would be cool.

rwiggum

#33 Post by rwiggum » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:28 pm

Can someone explain Woody Allen's "No extras pledge?" Is it an actual, previously-stated position, or just a way of explaining away the lack of extras on his dvds?

MoonlitKnight

#34 Post by MoonlitKnight » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:48 pm

rwiggum wrote:Can someone explain Woody Allen's "No extras pledge?" Is it an actual, previously-stated position, or just a way of explaining away the lack of extras on his dvds?
From what I've read, he basically feels his films speak for themselves and don't need any further embellishing. :|

Zot!

#35 Post by Zot! » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:15 pm

MoonlitKnight wrote:
rwiggum wrote:Can someone explain Woody Allen's "No extras pledge?" Is it an actual, previously-stated position, or just a way of explaining away the lack of extras on his dvds?
From what I've read, he basically feels his films speak for themselves and don't need any further embellishing. :|
I'm guessing it's actually contractual, as studios would probably want to throw some cast interviews or whatever on there, even if Woody didn't wish to participate. David Lynch similarly had a mandate to not include chapter stops on his films. Not sure if there are any other good examples of directors who have enough swing to affect this.

Harmonov

#36 Post by Harmonov » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:18 am

I went to a screening of a film at the Indiana University Cinema tonight and had a chat with the director about what filmmakers are coming to campus next semester. Among them are Criterion-faves Chantal Akerman and Abbas Kiarostami (as well as Roger Corman). He told me that Criterion is shooting two bonus features for upcoming blu-rays for Kiarostami'sWhere is the Friend's Home? and Through the Olive Trees. He also mentioned The Traveler as well, but that's on the Close-Up disc already. Perhaps he was mistaken about that one.

Needless to say, if you are anywhere near Bloomington, IN, when Kiarostami is here, you should check it out. I can't remember the dates, maybe I'll repost again when it nears.

phantomforce

#37 Post by phantomforce » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:58 pm

I met david lynch last night at the opening of his art exhibit and asked him whats going on with eraserhead on criterion and he said he'd like to know as well. :cry:

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#38 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:59 pm

Hopefully 2014 is the year of Kiarostami with Like Someone in Love coming as well. I'm glad Miramax either licensed it or lost the rights to it. I have no clue why they got it to begin with. It doesn't fit with their mold of Oscar bait foreign film.

Bando

#39 Post by Bando » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:25 pm

phantomforce wrote:I met david lynch last night at the opening of his art exhibit and asked him whats going on with eraserhead on criterion and he said he'd like to know as well. :cry:
Feel like that one's getting released right alongside the Twin Peaks blu-ray set. Which means half past never, at this rate.

phantomforce

#40 Post by phantomforce » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:29 pm

I get the feeling that Lynch is not really interested in his film work or filmmaking in general anymore. He's much more enthusiastic about his painting and artwork. He seemed genuinely nice though and did interviews all week for the gallery and last night at the reception, so it's not like the man is impossible to get a hold of. Unfortunately he's looking quite fragile these days so let's hope they can work with him soon.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#41 Post by tenia » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:33 pm

Bando wrote:
phantomforce wrote:I met david lynch last night at the opening of his art exhibit and asked him whats going on with eraserhead on criterion and he said he'd like to know as well. :cry:
Feel like that one's getting released right alongside the Twin Peaks blu-ray set. Which means half past never, at this rate.
Doesn't Twin Peaks get a BD release in March 2014 ? :-s

FrauBlucher

#42 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:49 pm

I think he was just playing coy. Lynch is a guy who's involved in the presentation of his work. It's hard to believe he doesn't know what's going on.

Bando

#43 Post by Bando » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:22 pm

tenia wrote:
Bando wrote:
Doesn't Twin Peaks get a BD release in March 2014 ? :-s
Still waiting on the official announcement. That would be nice, since it's the 25th anniversary of the day the final scenes of the show took place. But who knows?

zedz

#44 Post by zedz » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:55 pm

Harmonov wrote:He told me that Criterion is shooting two bonus features for upcoming blu-rays for Kiarostami'sWhere is the Friend's Home? and Through the Olive Trees. He also mentioned The Traveler as well, but that's on the Close-Up disc already. Perhaps he was mistaken about that one.
The third film he should have mentioned is Life and Nothing More, since it's the middle part of that trilogy. This is very good news, anyway!

Harmonov

#45 Post by Harmonov » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:15 am

Harmonov wrote:I went to a screening of a film at the Indiana University Cinema tonight and had a chat with the director about what filmmakers are coming to campus next semester. Among them are Criterion-faves Chantal Akerman and Abbas Kiarostami (as well as Roger Corman). He told me that Criterion is shooting two bonus features for upcoming blu-rays for Kiarostami'sWhere is the Friend's Home? and Through the Olive Trees. He also mentioned The Traveler as well, but that's on the Close-Up disc already. Perhaps he was mistaken about that one.

Needless to say, if you are anywhere near Bloomington, IN, when Kiarostami is here, you should check it out. I can't remember the dates, maybe I'll repost again when it nears.
EDIT: This should read that they are shooting the bonus features AT THE IU CINEMA when Kiarostami is there. That's why he has access to this news. They reached out to him asking if they could film them there. Can't believe I didn't add that part in when I first posted.

Zedz, perhaps you are correct in your assumption about Life and Nothing More being the third title.

HelenLawson

#46 Post by HelenLawson » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:17 am

Not knowing the rights situation for any of these films, what is the likelihood of a Joseph Losey / Harold Pinter box set featuring The Servant, Accident, and The Go-Between?

Jeff

#47 Post by Jeff » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:31 am

HelenLawson wrote:Not knowing the rights situation for any of these films, what is the likelihood of a Joseph Losey / Harold Pinter box set featuring The Servant, Accident, and The Go-Between?
Seems unlikely. The Go-Between is with Sony, but I believe the other two are with StudioCanal.

peerpee
not perpee

#48 Post by peerpee » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:11 am

Was thinking about Lucile Hadzihalilovic's INNOCENCE (2005) the other day and wondered whether it received a US release. Turns out HVE had it. Are HVE still going? It would make a nice Criterion Blu.

Matt

#49 Post by Matt » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:34 am

HVE got absorbed by Image several years ago, however Criterion retained the rights to some titles and Image got some of the others, so it's not easy to tell who's got rights to what now. This is one that I think Image retained, but I would imagine their license expires soon if it hasn't already.

peerpee
not perpee

#50 Post by peerpee » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks, Matt. I remember now. With the recent break from Image, I wonder whether anyone will bother? It's films like this that will get lost. AE in the UK are probably unlikely to upgrade their DVD, and unless someone in the US has a crack at it (Criterion, Cinema Guild?) it might never appear on Blu-ray (probably going straight to some compressed 1080p download service in 5 years, with tens of thousands of other titles).