2014 New Year's Day Drawing

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
ianungstad

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#251 Post by ianungstad » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:06 am

Someone posted on Criterion's Facebook wall that they caught a screening of Breaking the Waves and it opened with the Janus Films logo.

George Kaplan

#252 Post by George Kaplan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:45 am

Shrubberies and zigzags on a hillside can only mean THROUGH THE OLIVE TREES right?!
Which will almost certainly mean the "Koker Trilogy" at long last. \:D/

dwk

#253 Post by dwk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:12 pm

Kim Newman tweeted that he has finished a draft of his liner notes for Scanners.

Gregory

#254 Post by Gregory » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:55 pm

George Kaplan wrote:Shrubberies and zigzags on a hillside can only mean THROUGH THE OLIVE TREES right?!

I don't see zig-zagging paths in the drawing, though. Shrubbery could mean lots of things.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#255 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:05 pm

Shrubberies is a reference to the knights who say "ni", so Criterion is putting out Monty Python and The Holy Grail. I am thinking about asking my psychic about it.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#256 Post by jindianajonz » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:30 pm

One thing to keep in mind while deciphering these drawings is that "What does this drawing remind me of?" is a less meaningful question than "If I were an artist asked to draw something for a particular film, how would I draw it?"

Some of the more "out there" movie ideas in this thread surely could have been drawn in a much more logical way. The old Summer with Monica drawing shows that they can be quite unoriginal when they need to be.

Lowry_Sam

#257 Post by Lowry_Sam » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:01 pm

None of those bushes looks remotely close to those in the picture. It could as likely be a word pun as it is a still from some film. How about a documentary on the Bush crime family.....though the only one I can think of is the Greg Palast one off hand, not a very likely candidate (particularly by itself @ 1 hour).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#258 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:19 pm

Speaking of Bush, I'm not just seeing this because I want it to happen (because I don't want it to happen) but the Ms = upside-down Ws = Oliver Stone's W.

Cinephrenic

#259 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:12 pm

I hope not.

zedz

#260 Post by zedz » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:31 pm

jindianajonz wrote:One thing to keep in mind while deciphering these drawings is that "What does this drawing remind me of?" is a less meaningful question than "If I were an artist asked to draw something for a particular film, how would I draw it?"
So the four bushes might be for Mr Forbush and the Penguins (penguins not depicted).

If that part of the drawing is a clue, and not just local colour, it seems pretty vague. Is there a better suggestion for the deer than The Deer Hunter (which also seems pretty loose)? If not, I'd look for something that ties those two together, since the deer is in the odd position of crouching behind one of the bushes.

George Kaplan

#261 Post by George Kaplan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:32 pm

Gregory wrote:
George Kaplan wrote:Shrubberies and zigzags on a hillside can only mean THROUGH THE OLIVE TREES right?!
I don't see zig-zagging paths in the drawing, though. Shrubbery could mean lots of things.
I meant by that those small W or M like marks no doubt meant to read as grass, too, but that seem conspicuous.

FrauBlucher

#262 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:43 pm

zedz wrote:Is there a better suggestion for the deer than The Deer Hunter (which also seems pretty loose)? If not, I'd look for something that ties those two together, since the deer is in the odd position of crouching behind one of the bushes.
How about Buck Privates for the deer hiding behind a shrub? Just kidding of course.

I still think the little Ms are clues for a dual format release of the latest restoration of M.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#263 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:49 pm

zedz wrote:If that part of the drawing is a clue, and not just local colour, it seems pretty vague. Is there a better suggestion for the deer than The Deer Hunter (which also seems pretty loose)? If not, I'd look for something that ties those two together, since the deer is in the odd position of crouching behind one of the bushes.
A deer in the bush is worth two in the Out 1?

CSM126

#264 Post by CSM126 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:16 pm

zedz wrote:
jindianajonz wrote:One thing to keep in mind while deciphering these drawings is that "What does this drawing remind me of?" is a less meaningful question than "If I were an artist asked to draw something for a particular film, how would I draw it?"
So the four bushes might be for Mr Forbush and the Penguins (penguins not depicted).

If that part of the drawing is a clue, and not just local colour, it seems pretty vague. Is there a better suggestion for the deer than The Deer Hunter (which also seems pretty loose)? If not, I'd look for something that ties those two together, since the deer is in the odd position of crouching behind one of the bushes.
Well, it's a white reindeer, so why not... White Reindeer, a recent IFC title?

Harmonov

#265 Post by Harmonov » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:00 pm

Haven't read further than this post, but I can confirm that the Koker Trilogy is coming. Criterion is filming supplemental materials at the end of this month at the Indiana University Cinema when Kiarostami is there (the director of the cinema himself told me that Criterion reached out to him about filming them there). Here is the list of films that are showing.

Jeff

#266 Post by Jeff » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:52 am

Harmonov wrote:I can confirm that the Koker Trilogy is coming. Criterion is filming supplemental materials at the end of this month at the Indiana University Cinema when Kiarostami is there (the director of the cinema himself told me that Criterion reached out to him about filming them there). Here is the list of films that are showing.
WOW! That is incredibly good news. It's been rumored before, but I saw no reason to think that Criterion actually had the rights to all three, with Miramax presumably still having Through the Olive Trees. Criterion has previously credited The Traveler as "courtesy of Kanoon," though The Report receives no such credit. Where Is the Friend's Home? and Life, and Nothing More... should come from Kanoon as well, so I wonder if Criterion has access to all of the shorts and docs, and what kind of elements might exist and be made available to Criterion.

It's odd that Chungking Express went out of print, but the Qatsi release, this news, and the speculation regarding The Young Girls of Rochefort have me wondering if Criterion hasn't indeed worked something out with the owners of the Miramax library. Has anyone noted that Criterion has a "People" page for Miramax before?

Moe Dickstein

#267 Post by Moe Dickstein » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:46 am

The Miramax library has divided home video rights.

Jeff

#268 Post by Jeff » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:05 am

Moe Dickstein wrote:The Miramax library has divided home video rights.
I knew that around 550 titles were licensed to Lionsgate, with another 250 going to Echo Bridge. That should be pretty much everything that they own the rights to. The Qatsi film is credited to both Miramax and Lionsgate on the Criterion packaging, so obviously they worked out some sort of sub-licensing arrangement. I'm wondering if the potential release of Through the Olive Trees indicates that arrangement might not extend to a small handful of other titles.

Yaanu

#269 Post by Yaanu » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:18 am

I think that's just a technicality due to the Presented By credit.
They need to optimize their system better. You can find Harry Dean Stanton under "Harry Dean Stanton", "Harry Dean Stanton", and "H. D. Stanton".

John Doe

#270 Post by John Doe » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:33 am

Harmonov wrote: Haven't read further than this post, but I can confirm that the Koker Trilogy is coming. Criterion is filming supplemental materials at the end of this month at the Indiana University Cinema when Kiarostami is there (the director of the cinema himself told me that Criterion reached out to him about filming them there). Here is the list of films that are showing.
Great news! Thx for sharing \:D/

zedz

#271 Post by zedz » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:07 pm

Jeff wrote:It's been rumored before, but I saw no reason to think that Criterion actually had the rights to all three, with Miramax presumably still having Through the Olive Trees. Criterion has previously credited The Traveler as "courtesy of Kanoon," though The Report receives no such credit. Where Is the Friend's Home? and Life, and Nothing More... should come from Kanoon as well, so I wonder if Criterion has access to all of the shorts and docs, and what kind of elements might exist and be made available to Criterion.
Wouldn't it be fantastic if a prospective Koker Trilogy box was stuffed to the gunwales with the early shorts and documentaries?

Also, I presume Miramax's original licence for Olive Trees would run out at some point (it's twenty years since its release this year) - and it's not as if they're doing much with the film.

ianungstad

Re: 2014 New Year's Day Drawing

#272 Post by ianungstad » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:56 pm

It's still listed on the Miramax website.

George Kaplan

#273 Post by George Kaplan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:38 pm

Harmonov wrote:
Haven't read further than this post, but I can confirm that the Koker Trilogy is coming. Criterion is filming supplemental materials at the end of this month at the Indiana University Cinema when Kiarostami is there (the director of the cinema himself told me that Criterion reached out to him about filming them there). Here is the list of films that are showing.
Thanks, this is great news!
zedz wrote:Wouldn't it be fantastic if a prospective Koker Trilogy box was stuffed to the gunwales with the early shorts and documentaries?
Indeed!

On to Rivette and more Naruse!

bugsy_pal

#274 Post by bugsy_pal » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:37 am

When I saw the dancers...

I immediately thought of The Party, and this girl, who is wearing a long string of beads:

It's a classic scene, and I want it to mean we're getting The Party from Criterion.

ianungstad

#275 Post by ianungstad » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:48 am

I would rather have that Blake Edwards/Peter Sellers Pink Panther box the Huffington post wrote about last year as being in the works.