Criterions Out of Print (OOP)

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Minkin

Re: Criterion OOP

#51 Post by Minkin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:06 pm

Odd about the Robeson set. I don't think Criterion would bring it back on their website if they only received more stock in (they'd just push it out to Amazon, as their website always has the most stringent terms for what they can/cannot sell as part of licensing). If this is not somehow a mistake (like the recently mis-listed Naked Prey), I assume that Cohen has relented and realized that the commercial viability of Borderline + Body and Soul was next to nothing on their own. Also, something with Studio Canal seems to be in the works, so that title in this set probably isn't as much an issue as we might have thought in the past! Perhaps someone could order it from Criterion's website or get confirmation from them? It sounds like they've figured out the rights and it should be here to stay.

Regarding Teshigahara - the Criterion website does explicity say the following:
Unfortunately, we are not able to offer this product for sale on Criterion.com. Please note that it is not out of print and is available at other retailers, like Amazon.com.
I know that MMM proves the opposite, but Criterion acknowledges the situation and reaffirms that they have not lost the rights. MMM usually goes by an OOP UPC, whereas Criterion refers to the title as a whole - so the first pressing might indeed be OOP, but Criterion hasn't lost the rights and they have an intention to put it out again. Domino is usually a stickler for these things regarding MMM status, but in this case (as overlord of the thread), I say that OOP = essentially just out of stock until they change the package/logo on the back/whatever. Unless you are impatient and want the title immediately, I'd say just wait and enjoy some other titles (although, as is the case with the BRD Trilogy, you might be waiting a few years!). All said, I'll add it to the packaging-change section, as it will be coming back in print at some point in the future.

Are there any other Criterion titles with the "this is not OOP, but at Amazon" that I have missed? (I already know of Chasing Amy - which is a bizarre situation + Sternberg).

Edit -

I was able to find a list of titles myself (rather easily - just searching for "Buy at Amazon.com"). Here are the titles on the Criterion site with that listing (I'll add all of these to main post - noting this non-OOP status):

Armageddon
Chasing Amy (now distributed by Lionsgate, thus Criterion doesn't get stock/can't sell it for their website)
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (now distributed by WB, thus Criterion doesn't get stock/can't sell it for their website)
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (DVD)
The Naked Prey (well, that explains things)
Pandora's Box
The Rock
Rushmore (DVD)
Three Films by Hiroshi Teshigahara
3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg
Vampyr

None of those are OOP - as they all have the above notice from Criterion. It looks like they are working on their Buena Vista distribution deal (I'm guessing Buena Vista isn't going to handle it themselves anymore - as is the case with Rushmore/Life Aquatic blu-rays, so these will just become Criterion/Sony's problem now - or be pressed/handled by them -to put it better).

jfish226

#52 Post by jfish226 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:38 pm

Thank you for the info.

Lars Von Truffaut

#53 Post by Lars Von Truffaut » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:26 am

It looks as if 3 Films By Louis Malle is also OOP on the Criterion website...

danieltiger

#54 Post by danieltiger » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:59 am

Lars Von Truffaut wrote:It looks as if 3 Films By Louis Malle is also OOP on the Criterion website...
As a box set, yes. But the three individual films are all still in print.

digitalversicolor

#55 Post by digitalversicolor » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:44 am

I'm interested in buying the BRD Collection and Pandora's Box, but both of these titles tend to go for an (even higher) premium nowadays due to their out of print status. Is it worth laying down the money for these anyway or should I hold out until 2015 to see if we get any news of blu-ray upgrades? Are they likely due for re-release sooner rather than later?

AfterTheRain

#56 Post by AfterTheRain » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:26 pm

I managed to snag Pandora's Box at Buybacks a few months ago for under $30 used. I don't know about if they're up for re-release soon so if you manage to find one or the other for a great price, I say go for it.

danieltiger

#57 Post by danieltiger » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:56 pm

I would think that the announcement today of an upgrade to Hoop Dreams means we can finally breath easy on the Westchester films stuff and remove those? I seriously doubt Criterion wants another Ran/The Third Man situation on their hands.

Ashirg

#58 Post by Ashirg » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:31 am

Vampyr is getting back in print on March 3.

Zot!

#59 Post by Zot! » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:41 am

Ashirg wrote:Vampyr is getting back in print on March 3.
So was there a reason for the oop? Did they nix the book, as theorized?

warren oates

#60 Post by warren oates » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:48 am

It's still included, only now it's not a paperback but a single fold-out sheet with a compact-OED style magnifying glass.

ianungstad

#61 Post by ianungstad » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:29 pm

According to MMM; The Last Emperor blu was discontinued today. Was the blu released in a digipack? It's probably just a packaging change. I bought the dvd set instead since it had the extended cut of the film. If Criterion are going to make the effort to print a new run of The Last Emperor; they really should include the extended cut on the new pressing.

danieltiger

#62 Post by danieltiger » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:31 pm

ianungstad wrote:According to MMM; The Last Emperor blu was discontinued today. Was the blu released in a digipack? It's probably just a packaging change. I bought the dvd set instead since it had the extended cut of the film. If Criterion are going to make the effort to print a new run of The Last Emperor; they really should include the extended cut on the new pressing.
Indeed it was in a digipack. Almost certainly a simple packaging change.

chatterjees

#63 Post by chatterjees » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:56 pm

I also paid extra 5 bucks to get the replacement plastic case. So, I don't want just a repackaging, they should now release the whole upgrade (including the extended cut).

Yaanu

#64 Post by Yaanu » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:49 am

Maybe they'll release the 3D version too.

ianungstad

#65 Post by ianungstad » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:46 pm

Criterion discontinued the dual format version of Tess according to MMM. Probably means we'll get separate dvd/blu reissues with the solicits this month. (They've already done this with Foreign Correspondent.) Worth mentioning; as I know there are many people who didn't like the digipacks that Criterion were using for dual format releases.

jedgeco

#66 Post by jedgeco » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:50 pm

ianungstad wrote:Criterion discontinued the dual format version of Tess according to MMM. Probably means we'll get separate dvd/blu reissues with the solicits this month. (They've already done this with Foreign Correspondent.) Worth mentioning; as I know there are many people who didn't like the digipacks that Criterion were using for dual format releases.
I saw Tess at Costco last week, and it was in a plastic keepcase, not a digipak. I didn't take note of whether it was dual format, though.

zedz

#67 Post by zedz » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:10 pm

chatterjees wrote:I also paid extra 5 bucks to get the replacement plastic case. So, I don't want just a repackaging, they should now release the whole upgrade (including the extended cut).
. . . in the correct aspect ratio. . .

Don't hold your breath!

cdnchris
Site Admin

#68 Post by cdnchris » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:26 pm

Yeah, The Last Emperor is simply a re-packaging in the standard case.

Also, the Tess at Costco is Blu-ray only, not dual-format.

Minkin

#69 Post by Minkin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:08 pm

Some updates and speculations:

Vampyr will be back in print on March 19th, but without the large included book. Despite some goof ups on my part / Criterion's website lately :P - I think it is safe to assume that the book will not be coming back anytime soon or as part of a bluray upgrade (given the precedents lately - Two Lane Blacktop for instance). Actually, wait, today is March 19th, so its available now I guess!

Sansho the Baliff on DVD is also dropping the large 80 page book that came with it. You can still buy it with the book on the bluray edition, but who knows for how long.

The Spirit of the Beehive is back in stock on Criterion's website. I assume the packaging has gone from digipack to plastic case.

The Naked Prey is also back in stock, no idea why this went from instock, to OOP, to "buy at Amazon.com" and now back to available. Guess it was between prints and it is now available again.

As to rumors. For those who haven't checked the Studio Canal and Amazon deals threads lately, the following Criterion discs have shown up on Amazon.com with a "Temporary out of stock" notification - and a suggested shipping date of April 20-May 4:

The Third Man
Leon Morin, Priest
Army of Shadows
Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy Eclispe

No idea if this means Jimmy Carter has struck a deal between Studio Canal and Criterion, or if Amazon just discovered another box, or if this is all a big misunderstanding. Amazon is getting a lot of orders for these at the moment (Third Man being in the top 100 best selling movies), so Amazon must be aware of the situation. I guess we will have to play it by ear and see what develops!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#70 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 17, 2015 4:46 pm

King of Kings and the War Trilogy have gone OOP according to MMM

Minkin

#71 Post by Minkin » Sun May 17, 2015 5:37 pm

domino harvey wrote:King of Kings and the War Trilogy have gone OOP according to MMM
I suppose this bodes well for imminent upgrades - as Criterion still have the rights to these. I assume they'll reissue the DVDs with the new restorations/transfers. I know the War Trilogy has had the 4k restoration, was toured by Janus, and should be announced any month (Monday?), but has King of Kings received any new restoration anywhere? Either that or this is just something as simple as moving it from the double-wide case to the new one. I'll keep an eye on the Criterion site to see if it changes to "buy at Amazon.com" and then add it to the packaging change section - if this turns out to be the situation.

Also still no other updates about the other "Buy at Amazon.com" titles.

Lowry_Sam

#72 Post by Lowry_Sam » Mon May 18, 2015 3:35 am

Minkin wrote: Amazon is getting a lot of orders for these at the moment (Third Man being in the top 100 best selling movies), so Amazon must be aware of the situation. I guess we will have to play it by ear and see what develops!
Rialto is distributing the 4K restoration in the US, maybe this bodes well for a Criterion release of the restoration.

FrauBlucher

#73 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon May 18, 2015 5:48 am

danieltiger

#74 Post by danieltiger » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:06 pm

Nanook of the North recently went OOP on Criterion's site. Any ideas as to what's going on here? I know there's a Blu-ray already from Flicker Alley, but this is a PD title, why would Criterion let it go OOP?

Minkin

#75 Post by Minkin » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:31 pm

danieltiger wrote:Nanook of the North recently went OOP on Criterion's site. Any ideas as to what's going on here? I know there's a Blu-ray already from Flicker Alley, but this is a PD title, why would Criterion let it go OOP?
Things come and go without any rhyme or reason (like the above mentioned King of Kings / War Trilogy never changed status on their website; or packaging changes, etc).

Flicker Alley likes to release things they don't own any right to, just because they are in public domain (Nanook, Most Dangerous Game, Italian Straw Hat, etc) - so Flicker Alley's release should have zero impact on Criterion's (official) rights. A while back, some relation to Flaherty said Criterion was working on a new restoration of the film. Criterion has the rights to a few other Flaherty films (at least Man of Aran + Louisiana Story + Elephant Boy) - so I could imagine a boxset forthcoming. The only concern I have is that Nanook is no longer on Hulu (was it ever on Hulu?) - but that could also mean nothing (the other two Flaherty films are on Amazon/Itunes, not Hulu). It might be of interest if someone could email Mulvaney and ask (and get something better than a standard/automated OOP message - which wouldn't mean anything). Out of all possibilities, I have to imagine that the upgrade/boxset will finally be forthcoming sometime soon.

No other OOP news. I think at this point, given the MGM re-release deal and the WB deal, the following are almost guaranteed to come back into print sometime (well, perhaps not Robocop + Silence of the Lambs):

MGM:
Notorious
Rebecca
RoboCop
Sid & Nancy
The Silence of the Lambs
Spellbound
Straw Dogs
This is Spinal Tap

WB:
Dead Ringers
The Unbearable Lightness of Being