Criterion OOP

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
Post Reply
Message
Author
KJones77
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:35 pm

Re: Criterion OOP

#301 Post by KJones77 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:27 pm

The Confession is definitely OOP, though. Criterion was asked about it and confirmed they lost the rights.

EDIT: See here for their response.

User avatar
DRW.mov
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:43 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Criterion OOP

#302 Post by DRW.mov » Wed May 15, 2019 1:38 pm

Oddly enough, this thread got me to give another look at Criterion’s page for Life of Brian. It looks like a slew of new screenshots have been added that look significantly different than the quality of the old DVD. The Sony disc is quite old and they just had Gilliam in. What’s the likelihood we hear more about this today?

yoloswegmaster
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: Criterion OOP

#303 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed May 15, 2019 1:49 pm

DRW.mov wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:38 pm
Oddly enough, this thread got me to give another look at Criterion’s page for Life of Brian. It looks like a slew of new screenshots have been added that look significantly different than the quality of the old DVD. The Sony disc is quite old and they just had Gilliam in. What’s the likelihood we hear more about this today?
Wouldn't be surprised considering that a restored version (don't know of it's 2k or 4k) of it has been touring from Sony in honor of its 40th anniversary. Maybe Terry Gilliam also recorded a new interview for it when he visited the Criterion office a couple of months ago.

User avatar
Minkin
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Criterion OOP

#304 Post by Minkin » Wed May 15, 2019 2:00 pm

KJones77 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:27 pm
The Confession is definitely OOP, though. Criterion was asked about it and confirmed they lost the rights.

EDIT: See here for their response.
This looks / sounds like the exact boilerplate email that they send to every OOP inquiry (even when its clearly just being re-stocked).

But since I don't have a better answer, I'll add it to the front post. I assume it would be KG Productions who would be the responsible party? Or is it someone else, as State of Siege was also licensed from them and it doesn't appear to be affected. I know that someone related to this film was mad at Criterion for sitting on the license for so long without releasing it to disc, but I'm not sure who they expect will handle it better now, and why anyone in the US would want a different edition (not like the bluish look will be "fixed" (if there's even anything to fix) by the next party).

User avatar
Ribs
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Criterion OOP

#305 Post by Ribs » Wed May 15, 2019 2:24 pm

The Confession is no longer streaming through Criterion after being a fixture of the library in its various for the better part of a decade, which I think is probably the strongest argument something fell through.

User avatar
DeprongMori
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:59 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Criterion OOP

#306 Post by DeprongMori » Wed May 15, 2019 2:40 pm

I'm curious why the Westchester Films section of the original post is still up, since the acquisition by Shout Factory was in 2014 and does not seem to have affected Criterion's rights to those titles.

User avatar
movielocke
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:44 am

Re: Criterion OOP

#307 Post by movielocke » Wed May 15, 2019 2:44 pm

Harlon County USA says Not Available, it had a big restoration a year or two ago and is probably a candidate for an upgrade.

https://www.criterion.com/films/777-harlan-county-usa

User avatar
Minkin
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Criterion OOP

#308 Post by Minkin » Thu May 16, 2019 1:55 am

@DeprongMori + Ribs - Ok, ok, I took both of your suggestions and added The Confession and removed the Westchester section. I had the Westchester stuff on there since I didn't know what was going on with that deal, but so far it all seems fine. If it sours at all, we'll post in here.

User avatar
PfR73
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:07 pm

Re: Criterion OOP

#309 Post by PfR73 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:25 pm

movielocke wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:44 pm
Harlon County USA says Not Available, it had a big restoration a year or two ago and is probably a candidate for an upgrade.

https://www.criterion.com/films/777-harlan-county-usa
It'd make sense to conjoin a re-release of Harlan County, USA with a forthcoming release of Matewan.

User avatar
movielocke
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:44 am

Re: Criterion OOP

#310 Post by movielocke » Thu May 30, 2019 2:15 pm

Taste of cherry now shows as out of print on criterion’s site, I would guess the upgrade is imminent

https://www.criterion.com/films/242-taste-of-cherry

Post Reply