2015 New Year's Day Drawing

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
NABOB OF NOWHERE

Re: 2015 New Year's Day Drawing

#176 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:12 pm

He would also be wearing a bicorne hat and most likely on a horse. More pertinently I don't think the restoration is signed off yet.

Jeff

#177 Post by Jeff » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:18 pm

It looks to me like one of the bridge supports has been blown up, which is the source of the hole in the ground exactly where the support should be (see the supports on the other side of the bridge). I can't imagine that Criterion is interested in Bridge on the River Kwai after the edition that Sony put out, but is there something else along those lines?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#178 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:19 pm

This thread is stupid (as are all guessing game threads after the reasonable guesses start getting outweighed with the reading of tealeaves) but I did learn that fishhooks are called "jacks," so at least some good came out of it. And I didn't realize Rydell directed the Rose, which makes me walk back my American Beauty agreement in favor of my initial guess of the Rose

Jeff: True Lies, duh

ptatler

#179 Post by ptatler » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:30 pm

domino harvey wrote:the reading of tealeaves
Ooh! I didn't even notice the tealeaves! What are we thinking - ELEPHANT WALK?

Jeff

#180 Post by Jeff » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:31 pm

Don't ask me what the appeal to Criterion might be, as I haven't seen the film, but John Guillermin's The Bridge at Remagen appears to be all about blowing up bridges, and Guillermin has a phantom page.

Cremildo

#181 Post by Cremildo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:36 pm

Harmonov wrote:
CSM126 wrote:
Harmonov wrote:Are we sure that's an eye on the fishing line? It sure looks like two small planets or suns and a moon to me. Could that be the clue for Two Days One Night? It also resembles a bug as well...

I'm just not convinced it's an eye. Sorry if someone else has pointed this out.
It has eyelashes, dude. It's an eye.
Still not convinced.
Still not convinced it's an eye or a clue for One-Eyed Jacks?

If it's the former, I'm afraid to say I'm convinced you're just trolling.

Feego

#182 Post by Feego » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:39 pm

For those suggesting The Duellists, that film is already licensed to and released on Blu by Shout! Factory.

zedz

#183 Post by zedz » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:14 pm

domino harvey wrote:(as are all guessing game threads after the reasonable guesses start getting outweighed with the reading of tealeaves)
Yeah, I think at this point we just need a better drawing! I've only just been able to see the image at a decent size, and I still can't make out what some of this is even meant to represent!

That woman that people say is carrying guns looks to me like she's been involved in some weird bondage session involving balloon animals (I hear that's a thing). And that hole in the ground under the bridge looks like it's supposed to be a lava flow or something, but, if so, all the elements of that (e.g. lava, steam) are so badly rendered as to make it almost indecipherable.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#184 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:06 pm

zedz wrote:
domino harvey wrote:(as are all guessing game threads after the reasonable guesses start getting outweighed with the reading of tealeaves)
And that hole in the ground under the bridge looks like it's supposed to be a lava flow or something, but, if so, all the elements of that (e.g. lava, steam) are so badly rendered as to make it almost indecipherable.
It's a flattened eagle post nose-dive. Why won't anyone accept it. Have another look
It's' The Eagle has Landed (Redux)'

DevanAGScott

#185 Post by DevanAGScott » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:42 pm

Jeff wrote:It looks to me like one of the bridge supports has been blown up, which is the source of the hole in the ground exactly where the support should be (see the supports on the other side of the bridge). I can't imagine that Criterion is interested in Bridge on the River Kwai after the edition that Sony put out, but is there something else along those lines?
Even more convincing than this is the fact that Vilmos Zsigmond was recently in a photograph released on Criterion's twitter (or was it Facebook? One of their social media outlets, anyways) at a DI suite apparently coloring a Criterion release. I had hoped for Mccabe & Mrs. Miller, but guess who shot The Rose...

Kirkinson

#186 Post by Kirkinson » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:57 pm

Buttery Jeb wrote:I'm now sure we've been overthinking the soldiers as being their own clue: without anyone distinctive amongst the group, like a Napoleon, a Barry Lyndon or a Hawkeye from Michael Mann's Last of the Mohicans, then they're probably just the guys who came over in the New World ship moored in the distance.
My memory might be failing me, but I don't believe there are any uniformed soldiers in The New World, except maybe for a few guards or something in the periphery of the section that takes place in England.
NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:It's simple all we need to find is a film shot with a fish-eye lens.
That's actually the first thing I thought of as well, and it seemed appropriate for the eye to be facing The Fisher King since Gilliam loves wide-angle lenses so much. But I'm sure One-Eyed Jacks is correct.

That splotch everyone is arguing about at the bottom right has me stumped, too, though. It's so abstract-looking that I momentarily convinced myself it was a leafy seadragon.

What A Disgrace

#187 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:22 pm

The splotch is obviously in reference to Stan Brakhage films.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#188 Post by lacritfan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:36 pm

I thought the woman at the end of the bridge might Truffaut's Bride Wore Black but if it is it's the worse drawn clue ever.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#189 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:41 pm

Nah, it's probably either Breaking Away, Bandit Queen, or Fright Night.

ianungstad

#190 Post by ianungstad » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:50 pm

Buttery Jeb wrote:I'm now sure we've been overthinking the soldiers as being their own clue: without anyone distinctive amongst the group, like a Napoleon, a Barry Lyndon or a Hawkeye from Michael Mann's Last of the Mohicans, then they're probably just the guys who came over in the New World ship moored in the distance.
Would Mann's Last of the Mohicans fit the clue? The current blu from FOX actually showed up on Mike Carver's OOP list about a month back. Checking MMM's site; it seems only the budget dvd is still listed as in print. I've never seen the film.

AfterTheRain

#191 Post by AfterTheRain » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:57 pm

Jeff wrote:Don't ask me what the appeal to Criterion might be, as I haven't seen the film, but John Guillermin's The Bridge at Remagen appears to be all about blowing up bridges, and Guillermin has a phantom page.
Criterion did release Guillermin's Waltz of the Toreadors on laserdisc years ago, so it may be likely that Criterion would re-release it. The Bridge at Remagen sounds like it would be up Kino's alley for their Studio Classics line.

ellipsis7

#192 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:16 pm

Spidery splodge on the ground under the hanging broken bridge, I'll guess again is earthquake disturbed land... i.e. Kiarostami & Koker still...

flyonthewall2983

#193 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:17 pm

ianungstad wrote:Would Mann's Last of the Mohicans fit the clue? The current blu from FOX actually showed up on Mike Carver's OOP list about a month back. Checking MMM's site; it seems only the budget dvd is still listed as in print. I've never seen the film.
It's still in stock at Amazon, and selling at a cheap price. I'd say it's highly doubtful Criterion would want to basically re-issue this since the last release was described as the definitive version of the film and came with several special features.

That said I do have hope for at least one more Mann film to come to Criterion. My best guesses would be either Manhunter or The Insider. Maybe even Ali since Sony hasn't touched it for Blu-ray.

Stephen

#194 Post by Stephen » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:12 pm

jedgeco wrote:
ptatler wrote: 18th Century soldiers (maybe NAPOLEON or BARRY LYNDON or LES MISERABLES)
I feel like if it were Napoleon, the solider in the lead would be noticeably shorter than the rest of the army.
Are we ruling out Tony Richardson's Charge of the Light Brigade? Admittedly that's a very short fixed bayonet.

Yaanu

#195 Post by Yaanu » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:40 am

How misguided of a guess would it be for the window frame to allude to REAR WINDOW?

Jeff

#196 Post by Jeff » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:55 am

Yaanu wrote:How misguided of a guess would it be for the window frame to allude to REAR WINDOW?
On a scale of one to ten? 14.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#197 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:00 am

To be fair, prior to this drawing, anyone here would have been rightly laughed off if they suggested Inside Llewyn Davis was coming. Like Benjamin Button, it's so left-field that it'll leave us cleaning up after it for years later, as now every crackpot theory is plausible. So, what I'm saying is, good revenge on the forum for all our bitching, Criterion! Image Somewhere, Tamara is having a nice cathartic laugh

R0lf

#198 Post by R0lf » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:37 am

swo17 wrote:Nah, it's probably either Breaking Away, Bandit Queen, or Fright Night.
[s]The Bride Wore Black blu ray[/s]

eerik

#199 Post by eerik » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:49 am

domino harvey wrote:To be fair, prior to this drawing, anyone here would have been rightly laughed off if they suggested Inside Llewyn Davis was coming. Like Benjamin Button, it's so left-field that it'll leave us cleaning up after it for years later, as now every crackpot theory is plausible. So, what I'm saying is, good revenge on the forum for all our bitching, Criterion! Image Somewhere, Tamara is having a nice cathartic laugh
Nah, I don't see much similarities here. Benjamin Button is just a 150 million dollar major studio production that has Criterion's logo and spine number forcefully slapped on its case.

repeat

#200 Post by repeat » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:47 am

Jeff wrote:Don't ask me what the appeal to Criterion might be, as I haven't seen the film, but John Guillermin's The Bridge at Remagen appears to be all about blowing up bridges, and Guillermin has a phantom page.
Very good, very underrated film, kind of Aldrich-y - I can't believe no one voted for it on the War list poll. Very interesting about the phantom page.