Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
HitchcockLang

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2251 Post by HitchcockLang » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:10 pm

Graphist wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:51 pm
domino harvey wrote:I bet any giant Blu-ray box would be sans extras, so I wouldn't bother anyways
My sentiments exactly. I just hope whatever new films are in the alleged box they will be also released individually.
Like Madadayo from the AK100 box?

Minkin

#2252 Post by Minkin » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:28 am

Here is your speculation rodeo:
------------------------------------------
Andrei Rublev - Upgrade. Touring from Janus. One of those "confirmed, but eternally delayed" situations where people have been anticipating this upgrade probably longer than any other upgradeable film. I've seen rumors /hopes /wishes /etc - ever since I've been a member here (and its gone on longer than that).

My Man Godfrey - Upgrade. Universal did a restoration, otherwise not hinted /foretold anywhere.

Scenes from a Marriage - Upgrade. Part of Criterion's "Year of Bergman" - which has so far only manifested itself with one other Bergman film. There still might be a big boxset at some point, but I also expect the slow trickle of these Bergman upgrades to be coming out.

A Raisin in the Sun - March 2018 newsletter clue. We thought it was for Wild (oiled) Bunch, but nope.

Cold Water - Touring from Janus + one of the "early titles" that were said to be coming from Assayas
================================================
Interesting to have 3 upgrades this month. We're now down to 256 titles to upgrade remaining. Disappointed that the grape clue ended up being this film, not that there's anything wrong with Raisin in the Sun, but it wasn't a very good clue. This seems to be the year of "long delayed titles" - what with Rublev, and previously Midnight Cowboy + Matter of Life and Death .... but the Rublev upgrade has been bandied about as forthcoming possibly the longest of them.

I do wonder what might be the longest delay in forthcoming history? When Criterion eventually comes out with the Eisenstein films (was the proposed set just Potemkin + Strike? - if so, they have the rights to both of those, so it can still happen).

FrauBlucher

#2253 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:31 am

Minkin wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:28 am
Here is your speculation rodeo:
------------------------------------------
Andrei Rublev - Upgrade. Touring from Janus. One of those "confirmed, but eternally delayed" situations where people have been anticipating this upgrade probably longer than any other upgradeable film. I've seen rumors /hopes /wishes /etc - ever since I've been a member here (and its gone on longer than that).

My Man Godfrey - Upgrade. Universal did a restoration, otherwise not hinted /foretold anywhere.

Scenes from a Marriage - Upgrade. Part of Criterion's "Year of Bergman" - which has so far only manifested itself with one other Bergman film. There still might be a big boxset at some point, but I also expect the slow trickle of these Bergman upgrades to be coming out.

A Raisin in the Sun - March 2018 newsletter clue. Some thought it was for Wild (oiled) Bunch, but nope.

Cold Water - Touring from Janus + one of the "early titles" that were said to be coming from Assayas
================================================
Interesting to have 3 upgrades this month. We're now down to 256 titles to upgrade remaining. Disappointed that the grape clue ended up being this film, not that there's anything wrong with Raisin in the Sun, but it wasn't a very good clue. This seems to be the year of "long delayed titles" - what with Rublev, and previously Midnight Cowboy + Matter of Life and Death .... but the Rublev upgrade has been bandied about as forthcoming possibly the longest of them.

I do wonder what might be the longest delay in forthcoming history? When Criterion eventually comes out with the Eisenstein films (was the proposed set just Potemkin + Strike? - if so, they have the rights to both of those, so it can still happen).
Fixed :wink:

Graphist

#2254 Post by Graphist » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:19 am

HitchcockLang wrote:
Graphist wrote:
domino harvey wrote:I bet any giant Blu-ray box would be sans extras, so I wouldn't bother anyways
My sentiments exactly. I just hope whatever new films are in the alleged box they will be also released individually.
Like Madadayo from the AK100 box?
Maybe they lost the rights to the film before they could release it separately.

HitchcockLang

#2255 Post by HitchcockLang » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:05 pm

Graphist wrote:
Maybe they lost the rights to the film before they could release it separately.
I didn't think so. It's still on FilmStruck with wacky C branding but I guess I could be wrong. I offloaded my AK100 and used the money to buy all the Kurosawa BDs (and DVDs when necessary) and have been anxiously awaiting Madadayo ever since.

Ashirg

#2256 Post by Ashirg » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:41 pm

Minkin wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:28 am
Still waiting on those Cocktail Molotov and Cousin, Cousine from 2001 catalogue...

ianthemovie

#2257 Post by ianthemovie » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:02 am

Ashirg wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:41 pm
Still waiting on those Cocktail Molotov and Cousin, Cousine from 2001 catalogue...
I really wish I'd held on to one of those catalogs. In those days--before my family had Internet--it was the only source of information about the Criterion Collection I had, and was how now-favorite films like Black Narcissus, Andrei Rublev, Ivan the Terrible etc. first came on my radar.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#2258 Post by Omensetter » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:31 am

A catalogue came with my copy of Hands over the City not too long ago but it was, you know, circa 2006. Sometimes whenever I purchase a 2005/2006 DVD of theirs I half-expect/half-hope a postcard.

Graphist

#2259 Post by Graphist » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:06 am

Would such a catalog be available online as a .pdf by any chance?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2260 Post by tenia » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:11 am

I always have been looking for one but so far haven't found any.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2261 Post by Drucker » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:52 pm

yoloswegmaster

#2262 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:49 pm

Don't know if this has been posted here but the Barnes and Noble sale will be starting this Friday!

Boosmahn

#2264 Post by Boosmahn » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:37 pm

In case there were still any doubts about Come and See, here's a page for the film on Criterion's website.

Finally. Best news I've heard all week!

fdm

#2265 Post by fdm » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:38 am

It's been on filmstruck at least since I started my subscription. That's what that link is for. Doesn't mean it is going to get a release (nor does it mean it won't).

Big Ben

#2266 Post by Big Ben » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:43 am

I'm fairly certain we've known that or that it's been heavily rumored that Criterion was going to be putting out the film with the new restoration? I mean the Criterion page listed there is a proper page that hasn't been filled in yet with the Filmstruck option as just one available option.

Boosmahn

#2267 Post by Boosmahn » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:00 am

Hm, maybe, but it's at the bottom the "Shop the Collection" page when you sort by spine. It's been rumored but this surely means more than Filmstruck, right?

okcmaxk

#2268 Post by okcmaxk » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:19 am

The same thing happened a while ago with Altered States and some of Kelly Reichardt’s films being listed on “Shop the Collection,” and since those listings turned out to be for the Criterion Channel on Filmstruck, I’m sure that this listing for Come and See is for the Criterion Channel (if it isn’t already on there).

Come and See is definitely getting released in the future, as it’s with Janus, but I doubt this is the listing for that release.

Calvin

#2269 Post by Calvin » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:35 pm

Mosfilm confirmed to me a while back that Criterion have the UK rights to Come and See, so they certainly have US rights as well.

yoloswegmaster

#2270 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:21 pm

Film Forum has a new 4k restoration for 'Fists in the Pockets' coming from Janus.

yoloswegmaster

#2271 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:10 pm

Sorry to bother you guys again but the criterion page for 'Andrei Rublev' now says that it is from a HD transfer, not the 2K version.

FrauBlucher

#2272 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:48 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:10 pm
Sorry to bother you guys again but the criterion page for 'Andrei Rublev' now says that it is from a HD transfer, not the 2K version.
This has already been posted on the Andrei Rublev thread with a conversation about this topic.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2273 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Contagion has gone out of print and is no longer available from WB or retailers. This would be a perfect Soderbergh title to release: popular with audiences and the existing Blu-ray is pretty slim on features

The Narrator Returns

#2274 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:43 pm

Ooh, I hope (if this is indeed what is happening) Criterion can do the same for the rest of his 2010s theatrical oeuvre. Besides the Lionsgate-owned Haywire, they're all either Warner or Universal, and none of their releases are anything besides pathetic (and other than Magic Mike, I can't imagine the studios would be holding onto them too tight).

jedgeco

#2275 Post by jedgeco » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:26 pm

“Cinematographer Peter Andrews in the 2010s” box set.