2015 Criterion Forum Awards

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
criterion10

Re: 2015 Criterion Forum Awards

#76 Post by criterion10 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:21 pm

Didn't get to watch nearly as many titles as I had hoped for this year, but here goes:

Best Release:
1. Every Man for Himself
2. The Apu Trilogy
3. Day for Night
4. In Cold Blood
5. Limelight

Best Modern Film: Two Days One Night

Best Booklet: Mulholland Dr.

Best On-Disc Non-Commentary Extra: Colin MacCabe's "Sound, Image, and Every Man for Himself" video essay

Best Reissue: Cries and Whispers

Best Upgrade: The Killers

Best Cover:

Worst Cover (of all time):

Best Packaging: My Own Private Idaho

Most Disappointing Release: The general compression issues that have plagued an increasing number of titles

Richard Cranium Award: AnamorphicWidescreen for his bizarre defense of "The Wire" being cropped to widescreen (and his lashing out at mfunk!)

perkizitore

#77 Post by perkizitore » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:15 pm

Best Release
1. The Apu Trilogy
2. The Confession
3. A Day In The Country
4. Every Man For Himself
5. Don't Look Now

Best Eclipse Release
Julien Duvivier in the Thirties

Best Reissue
Kwaidan

Best Discovery
A Special Day

Best Upgrade
Ikiru

Best Modern Film
Two Days, One Night

Best Bonus Film
The Brood - Crimes of the Future

Best Booklet
The Apu Trilogy

Best Packaging
Mulholland Drive

Best Cover
State of Siege

Worst Cover
The Fisher King

Most Disappointing Release
The Sword Of Doom

Best Non-Criterion Release
Kiju Yoshida: Love + Anarchism

Member of the year
domino harvey

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#78 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:54 pm

Voting will close tomorrow morning whenever I wake up, and will be announced in this thread followed (hopefully) shortly by the results. You may still edit your lists til I give the signal voting is closed

Ribs

#79 Post by Ribs » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:00 pm

Best Release
1. Here is Your Life
2. Dont Look Back
3. A Special Day
4. Hiroshima Mon Amour
5. Don't Look Now

Best Reissue
Hiroshima Mon Amour

Best Upgrade
Ikiru

Best Discovery
Here is Your Life

Best Booklet
The Apu Trilogy

Best Packaging
Dont Look Back

Best Cover
Odd Man Out

Worst Cover
Mulholland Dr.

Best Non-Criterion Release
Kiju Yoshida: Love + Anarchism

ryannichols7

#80 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:21 am

BEST RELEASE
1 Dont Look Back
2 the Apu Trilogy
3 Day for Night
4 Here is Your Life
5 Code Unknown
BEST ECLIPSE
BEST MODERN FILM
Two Days, One Night
one can only hope The Son will be released before too long!!!
BEST COMMENTARY
Kwaidan
what an achievement this was! super informative
BEST "BONUS" FILM
When Léon M.'s Boat Went Down the Meuse for the First Time
BEST BOOKLET
Dont Look Back
BEST ON-DISC NON-COMMENTARY EXTRA
Valerie Project
BEST REISSUE
Kwaidan, easily
BEST UPGRADE
Ikiru
close runner up to An Autumn Afternoon
BEST DISCOVERY
La Cienaga
BEST COVER
Day for Night!
WORST COVER
Mulholland Drive, easily
BEST PACKAGING
Dont Look Back
MOST DISAPPOINTING RELEASE
Sword of Doom deserved way, way more.

also, any release with a fold out insert. which is pretty much all of them!!!!

here's to a good 2016, let's see if anyone votes after me

Lemmy Caution

#81 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:03 am

Best Release
Ride the Pink Horse
La Cienaga
Watership Down
Speedy
Mister Johnson

Best ECLIPSE

BEST COVER
Speedy

WORST COVER
My Winnipeg
Last edited by Lemmy Caution on Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#82 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:07 am

Just in the nick of time there! Voting closed. There are a lot of votes this year, I'll get the results up as soon as I can!

Lemmy Caution

#83 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:14 am

Oooh!

Well, I edited in a Best & Worst Cover.
Count 'em or not ...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#84 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:34 pm

Images courtesy of Criterion’s quality control department

BEST CRITERION RELEASES OF 2015
01 the Apu Trilogy
02 Dont Look Back
03 Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
04 A Day in the Country
05 Day For Night
06 Every Man For Himself
07 Here Is Your Life
08 A Special Day
09 Mulholland Drive
09 My Winnipeg

BEST ECLIPSE
44 Julien Duvivier in the Thirties

BEST MODERN FILM
Two Days, One Night

BEST COMMENTARY
Kwaidan / Moonrise Kingdom (tie)

BEST BONUS FILM
Crimes of the Future (on the Brood)

BEST BOOKLET
Mulholland Drive

BEST ON-DISC NON-COMMENTARY EXTRA
Synced Valerie Project soundtrack (on Valerie and Her Week of Wonders)

BEST REISSUE
Kwaidan

BEST UPGRADE
Ikiru

BEST DISCOVERY
A Special Day / Here Is Your Life / La Cienaga (tie)

BEST COVER

WORST COVER

BEST PACKAGING

MOST DISAPPOINTING RELEASE
Sword of Doom

MIDDLE CHILD AWARD
Breaker Morant, Jellyfish Eyes, the Rose, and the upgrade of Downhill Racer were the only Criterion releases of 2015 to not receive a single vote in any category.

BEST THREAD
N/A

MEMBER OF THE YEAR

RICHARD CRANIUM AWARD

Amazingly, no one received enough votes to be eligible for this. Thank your moderation team for deleting questionable posts and banning members worthy of this award, because we can tell you there were a lot of (now former) members who more than earned this distinction in the last year that you’ve already forgotten about because we took care of it.

The Narrator Returns

#85 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:39 pm

domino, you've outdone yourself this year. Also, I'd probably like that version of the Cries and Whispers cover better than the one we got.

perkizitore

#86 Post by perkizitore » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:05 pm

I really wanted to vote for the Kwaidan commentary, but since I haven't listened to the entirety of any Criterion commentaries this year, I decided against it.
Stephen Prince, now you know who to blame for getting tied with Moonrise Kingdom :P

criterion10

#87 Post by criterion10 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:06 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:Also, I'd probably like that version of the Cries and Whispers cover better than the one we got.
Was *literally* about to write the same thing myself.

Ribs

#88 Post by Ribs » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:14 pm

Minor niggle but there's no apostrophe in Dont Look Back's title.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#89 Post by swo17 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:55 pm

Thanks dom!
perkizitore wrote:I really wanted to vote for the Kwaidan commentary, but since I haven't listened to the entirety of any Criterion commentaries this year, I decided against it.
Stephen Prince, now you know who to blame for getting tied with Moonrise Kingdom :P
Three hours of well prepared insights vs. Anderson & co. making things up on the fly, calling up friends on the phone, dozing off, talking about the wrong movie, etc. (Which is not to say that it's unentertaining!)

cdnchris
Site Admin

#90 Post by cdnchris » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:35 pm

I was admittedly stuck between Kwaidan and Moonrise, and it was like choosing between a Beef Wellington and Nutrageous chocolate bar. It was a hard choice but sometimes a Nutrageous is just awesome.

colinr0380

#91 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:19 pm

I'm very grateful for all of the votes in this! Its a bit mawkish to say so but the forum has been (and I'm sure will continue to be!) a great resource and place to come to over the years as a place to chat and write about interests when it seemed like there was nowhere else to do so, or at least nowhere else where I actually felt as if I could make any particularly meaningful contribution to discussions. I'm particularly fond of the forum set up, which has always felt as if it promotes discussion (even if it can also promote empty posts or just links to elsewhere, both things that I've been guilty of over the years!) compared to say a blog, which needs an individual authoritative voice running it and creating content for commenters to then discuss, or something like Twitter, which really feels useful only as a tool for promoting a particular project or sharing pre-existing content with 'followers'. Both of those types of social media also have their upside (I've never signed up to Facebook, which is probably my contrarian, paranoid aspect coming through! So I can't comment on whether that has any great film resources!), but I still think that this forum provides the best way to interact, talk and debate over films.

I have always found it particularly exciting that the "Criterion forum" has never been restrictively focused purely on the Criterion Collection, but has seemed to use that label and our collective interest in the films that are released there as sort of the backbone for even wider ranging discussions on all sorts of topics about films, and even topics beyond home video and cinema too. I remember a number of years ago that there was some concern that this was a sort of 'proof' that Criterion were losing their status because just their monthly releases could not keep the attention of the members of the forum focused entirely on that label (and of course Criterion have had their high and low points since then too!), but I've always felt that was a sign of the forum growing larger and perhaps more independent from just one label. Still retaining that core of an interest in the Criterion Collection, but growing to add in the other labels also doing work that was just as important to anyone interested in building a collection of films. And that felt as if it allowed the chance to that chance for posters to go off on wilder tangents for a while or pursue other personal projects in posts while knowing that we all had those same kinds of core interest in titles that have been released over the years.

Just look at the Lists Project section - a place that sort of began as a way of tidying up every arbitrary list of ranking films that a member could come up with into one easily section that could be easily passed over by those in search of actual content has over the years turned out lots of interesting material allowing the forum to in some ways break away from 'just' what is coming out at the cinema or the new releases (important as those both are) into more general discussions around films that we probably would never have had the reason to talk about otherwise if it wasn't for that arbitrary restriction of, say, talking about only films from a particular decade or genre. The results of the votes are often interesting (especially when we can see films in the decades list rise and fall over the three times that we have gone around over this last decade. Something that captures a particular snapshot of the forum and its membership too!), but the discussions around individual films are where the real fun can be. That is something that I could imagine might not have happened at all had lists just been ruled out entirely without any exceptions in a more restrictive online space.

Despite any moderation that is done to keep the place running, as a user of the forum I've always found the place to be really open to individual members driving discussions in directions that interest them, and I've enjoyed reading interesting discussions in threads about subjects that I have had no knowledge in and could never be able to meaningfully contribute to! And that itself has done more than anything over the years to spur me on into watching films and importing discs that I likely never would have ever known about otherwise. Just as I think that my posts on particular films can only really exist with the material that I am looking at and responding to, I'd probably guess that the majority of my posts would never have come about without the discussions going on here either!

Films have made me consider things in ways that I never would have otherwise, and the forum has also done that for me too in getting me thinking much deeper about subject matter that I probably never would have done on my own. I'm often as surprised as anyone that some of my stream of consciousness posts come across as readable at all! Which is why the votes over the years have been more appreciated as, while I think the best writing people ever do are when they try and write for themselves without tailoring it to their audience too much, I have sometimes worried if particular posts are OK or just spamming the forum threads! But I try to make it so that the posts usually have at least one idea in them that might be useful, or at the very least silly and fun! Even then it is very exciting when there are those moments when I feel as if I have drained a film of all potential meaning that I could possibly find, and then someone else makes a post that makes me reconsider the exact same film in an entirely different way! There have been a few times just over the last couple of months when I've had that experience of being reminded that a criticism of a film is less about an individual review or post, but about the dialogue that can be had around that piece of work (I guess this goes back again to my feeling that you need a stable core of something that everyone can then elaborate on in all sorts of ways!)

___

Anyway this is already a far too long and gushing thank you (now I know how Sally Field felt at those Oscars!), so in order to keep up the fun and in the tradition of a post in "The Official Idiot Poster Thread" that helped me realise early on that I could have a bit of fun with the forum, I thought that I would create a few potential ideas for films out of the various signs and notices that I came across at work and during my commute home! Yes, I was standing on a train platform and very bored when I thought this up, but I thought it might be fun! Think of the following as either my attempt to do a Banksy and subvert all of the demanding notices or bland corporate logos that we see all around us every day into something more playful or my attempt to woo any potential Hollywood producers with my brilliant film pitches (à la Ron Howard pitching that time travelling movie ("You can't get rid of the pie! The pie is the heart!") to Brian Grazer in The Simpsons)!:

"Press When Illuminated" - a young autistic boy has a paranoid fear of contact until an unorthodox case worker, himself on a final warning for his maverick working methods, finds a way to give the boy the keys to unlocking his new potential through the power of interpretative dance

"Connect to Power" - a newly elected Senator finds himself disillusioned by the realities of modern power politics when he travels to Washington to take up his position. When his slightly eccentric and irreverent younger brother arrives and starts a torrid relationship with an aide to his opposition rival, can our senator resist the urge to turn the situation to his own advantage? Potentially starring Michael Douglas and Ryan Reynolds.

"Toner Kit" - in a futuristic world where lonely people are provided with robotic personal carers, can a cranky geriatric man mourning the loss of his wife learn to tolerate his new partner especially when it arrives in a model with a wrongly specified skin colour? Potentially starring Morgan Freeman and Alicia Vikander.

"Ultrasound Scan Rapport" - a quirky and ultimately uplifting medical drama which follows two patients as they meet in hospital for treatment, following their ups and downs as their treatment progresses and the way that the consequences of their growing friendship ripples out amongst their relatives, friends and local community. Will the mysterious young woman working as a personal massage therapist provide the key to cementing their bond, or be the catalyst that will tear their relationship apart just when it is most needed? Starring Madea and friends and directed by Woody Allen.

"Caution: Speed Humps" - a reckless young man is given an ultimatum to settle down or lose his inheritance by his wealthy parents after yet another failed relationship. They enrol him in a speed dating class which leads to many hilarious, wacky and bawdy complications!

"Minor Injuries Unit" - meet the elite squad who operate under the radar to tackle thieves and terrorists using non-lethal yet slightly painful methods of interrogation and neutralisation of their targets. Can the young rookie learn to overcome his squeamishness in order to inflict his first paper cut in order to find out the codes to defuse a bomb threatening the city? And will the newly transferred grizzled SWAT-team commander be able to adapt to the low key tactics of the Unit and be able to keep himself from accidentally breaking the necks of various suspects at the crucial moment?

"Bums on Seats Please, Shoes on the Floor" - two housewives band together to start a fashionable footwear company. It fails the haute couture test but suddenly the shoe is on the other foot as a surprising new business opportunity arises amongst the local homeless population. Will our heroines learn that the value of footwear is only worth as much as the feet inside them? Find out this Labor Day!

"Northern: A Serco and Abellio Joint Venture" - when two Alaskan huskies Serco and Abellio lose their mother to ruthless hunters, they face a thousand mile trek across the wilderness to reach their estranged pack. The beautiful CGI animation is only enhanced by the endearing voice of Steve Carrell as the voice of Peter the Penguin, a character who only appears during the hallucinations that our main characters have as they succumb to exhaustion, and the heartbreaking new song duets by Tom Waites and Alicia Keys: "Husky Melody" and "Woof, and I'll Be Right There By Your Side".

I'm sure that you are all glad that I'll never get close to the tools of the filmmaking process now!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mizo

#92 Post by mizo » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:44 pm

Kudos on "Toner Kit." That takes a special kind of imagination/lunacy. (And congrats!)

The Narrator Returns

#93 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:50 pm

Colin, it's no fair to campaign for Member of the Year for next year's awards this early.

MichaelB

#94 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:19 pm

It's a marked contrast to when I won Member of the Year - I didn't take part in the voting and nobody told me I'd won. In fact, I forget how I found out, but it was months later.

Anyway, I'm both thrilled and baffled for Colin, the second bit because he really should have won years ago.

Minkin

#95 Post by Minkin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:39 pm

A big thanks to Domino for trudging through all our lists. Also a hearty congratulations to Colin -who's posts have never failed to delight and entertain! We certainly ended up with a very Criterionforum-y top ten (and with more people voting for the some of these films than actually discussing them :wink: ). Also surprised by Jellyfish Eye's poor showing. I thought that was clearly the forum's new punching bag, I guess we all quickly forgot / realized we hadn't seen it yet to trash it enough.

Continuing with Colin's theme: I once had a VCR from Sony that had a button stating "Reality Regenerator" - which I never figured out what it did, preferring to leave it as the mystery of my time traveling / Matrix VCR. :P