2016 New Year's Drawing

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Ribs

Re: 2016 New Year's Drawing

#51 Post by Ribs » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:19 pm

Unless Easy Riders, Raging Bulls is getting a standalone release I can literally imagine no other possibilities.

Jeff

Re: Criterion Newsletter: Clues and More, Volume Four

#52 Post by Jeff » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:28 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:He's actually carrying the "Easy Rider" motorcycle which is why I suggested he's a bicycle thief (for the upgrade of Bicycle Thieves coming in March).
I think The Kid is just walking in front of the Easy Rider bike, which is popping a wheelie.
Ribs wrote:Unless Easy Riders, Raging Bulls is getting a standalone release I can literally imagine no other possibilities.
A Criterion release of the Biskind book? :wink:

movielocke

#53 Post by movielocke » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:31 pm

Jeff wrote:
Roger Ryan wrote:He's actually carrying the "Easy Rider" motorcycle which is why I suggested he's a bicycle thief (for the upgrade of Bicycle Thieves coming in March).
I think The Kid is just walking in front of the Easy Rider bike, which is popping a wheelie.
the kid is carrying the bike over his shoulder, look at his hand. He's a bike thief.

Jeff

#54 Post by Jeff » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:34 pm

movielocke wrote:the kid is carrying the bike over his shoulder, look at his hand. He's a bike thief.
Right you are. I hadn't noticed his other hand on top of the tire.

fogbank

#55 Post by fogbank » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:37 pm

Babies = Soderberg's Bubble
Playing cards = Desplechin's Kings and Queen

The Narrator Returns

#56 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:42 pm

Oh shit, I can't believe I didn't think of Bubble. Soderbergh does have the rights to it now...

Jeff

#57 Post by Jeff » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:43 pm

fogbank wrote:Babies = Soderberg's Bubble
Playing cards = Desplechin's Kings and Queen
Great guesses and both coming eventually I'm sure. It sounded like there wasn't any kind of deal in place for the Soderbergh films yet though, and I thought about the Desplechin, but that doesn't seem like the most likely clue.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#58 Post by lacritfan » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:45 pm

At least there's no what-the-hell-is-that Lady Snowblood clue.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#59 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:52 pm

I feel like the best clue for the Desplechin would be someone breakdancing!

Mr.Scratch

#60 Post by Mr.Scratch » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:03 pm

I guess that the consensus here is that the bearded man in black pushing the baby carriage is Warren Beatty from McCabe and Mrs. Miller, butt when I first saw it, I thought that it was a dead ringer for Bob Fosse's Snake in Stanley Donen's The Little Prince:

Feego

#61 Post by Feego » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:33 pm

I doubt that the Queen of Hearts is a clue for Svankmajer's Alice. It was released by and is still available on Blu from First Run Features. They used the same source material as the BFI, only without the original Czech soundtrack (English dubbing only). Has anyone noticed that the card is sprouting a waving left arm?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#62 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:34 pm

I assumed she was waving ala Jackie O

movielocke

#63 Post by movielocke » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:06 pm

Feego wrote:I doubt that the Queen of Hearts is a clue for Svankmajer's Alice. It was released by and is still available on Blu from First Run Features. They used the same source material as the BFI, only without the original Czech soundtrack (English dubbing only). Has anyone noticed that the card is sprouting a waving left arm?
My left hand?
The four thousand fingers of Dr t?

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

Re: Criterion Newsletter: Clues and More, Volume Four

#64 Post by Rayon Vert » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:28 pm

Feego wrote:I wonder if the fact that all of these characters are walking in a procession or parade is a clue as well?
It's a long shot, but Ford's The Long Voyage Home?

Feego

#65 Post by Feego » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:43 pm

domino harvey wrote:I assumed she was waving ala Jackie O
That's what I was thinking too. Is there a documentary specifically about her that might be hinted at? Because otherwise a giant card seems redundant if it's just a clue for Primary when they already have the car and the JFK button.

criterionsnob

#66 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:46 pm

There are three babies of various sizes. I haven't heard anyone guessing Bringing Up Baby.

And the pot of honey could be Spirit of the Beehive on blu-ray.

DeprongMori

#67 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:54 pm

While I could easily see the three kings as a clue for Wenders' Kings of the Road, I find it less likely that Criterion would release Russell's 3 Kings (a film I personally like).

I have an unorthodox guess. Are they not only three kings but three wise men, pointing to a Frederick Wiseman set? After all, there was a set just releasef in Germany, which means Wiseman is finally licensing his films.

DeprongMori

#68 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:57 pm

I believe the phoenix is clearly for the already confirmed Phoenix by Christian Petzold rather than for Flight of the Phoenix.

ianungstad

#69 Post by ianungstad » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:23 pm

The Flight of the Phoenix is probably coming too. It was one of the titles that the HTF asked James Finn about and he said that Fox licensed it to one of their partners and Twilight Time stated on Facebook that it wasn't them.

I see the clue of the angel being for Wong Kar Wai's Fallen Angels. We know that Kino discontinued their Haneke; Wai and Kiewslowski titles. Criterion's already put out a Haneke and Kiewsloski. We're just waiting on confirmation that they picked up the WKW films too.

Finn also said that one of their partners were going to put out both Beyond the Valley of the Dolls and The Valley of the Dolls in 2016. Both directors have phantom pages.

The R1 dvd of Fantastic Planet has been OOP for years.
Last edited by ianungstad on Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeprongMori

#70 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:25 pm

The naked castaway on the island is almost certainly for Shindo's The Naked Island, which is already up on Hulu with a Criterion logo.

I would go further and guess that the release will be paired with Lucille Carra's documentary The Inland Sea since that film has recently received a major restoration and Lucille Carra has a "phantom page".

https://www.criterion.com/people/122756" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HistoryProf

#71 Post by HistoryProf » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:51 pm

Flight of the Phoenix seems spot on. And if I get McCabe and Mrs Miller so soon after Emigrants/New Land I might burst!

Now we just need the Sayles stuff so Matewan can get its long overdue remastering and Blu Ray release.

DeprongMori

#72 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:09 pm

I would guess the "Vote JFK" clue is for Drew/Maysles/Pennebaker's film Primary, on the Wisconsin primary battle between JFK and Humbert Humphrey, since the Criterion Collection loves both Maysles and Pennebaker. Since the film is only an hour long, I'm guessing it would need to be expanded with a ton of supplemental materials. Depending on whether they are focusing on Pennebaker or JFK, you might get Pennebaker's "Jane" (1962) on Jane Fonda, which was discussed in the Dont Look Back supplemental materials.

DeprongMori

#73 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:32 pm

If the focus around Primary is Robert Drew and JFK, rather than Pennebaker, we might see Drew's Adventures on the New Frontier as part of the package, as well as Crisis: Behind a Presidential Commitment. That would make for a pretty nice release.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article.h ... 4%7C715440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#74 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:37 pm

Given Oliver Stone has enough pull with Warners to get them to let Twilight Time license a title, perhaps the JFK clue is for JFK. No earthly idea what they could add to the existing release, but when has that stopped Criterion?

Jeff

#75 Post by Jeff » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:46 pm

ianungstad wrote:The Flight of the Phoenix is probably coming too. It was one of the titles that the HTF asked James Finn about and he said that Fox licensed it to one of their partners and Twilight Time stated on Facebook that it wasn't them.
Perhaps. Could be Kino though, right?
ianungstad wrote:I see the clue of the angel being for Wong Kar Wai's Fallen Angels. We know that Kino discontinued their Haneke; Wai and Kiewslowski titles. Criterion's already put out a Haneke and Kiewsloski. We're just waiting on confirmation that they picked up the WKW films too.
When I first saw that guess, I assumed (hoped) that it was Preminger's Fallen Angel being guessed, though I'd agree the Wong is probably more likely. I'm a bit surprised their weren't multiple angels if that were the case.
domino harvey wrote:Given Oliver Stone has enough pull with Warners to get them to let Twilight Time license a title, perhaps the JFK clue is for JFK. No earthly idea what they could add to the existing release, but when has that stopped Criterion?
I sold off my Docurama "Robert Drew Kennedy Films Collection" box when Drew got a phantom page, so it damn well better be those.