It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:37 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:24 pm
perkizitore wrote:
Is swimminghorses back? :P

I reckon a genuine swimminghorses cover would just use ugly manipulations of an image like the following, maybe with some clipart tanks in the background.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:46 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:48 am
Location: KCK
cdnchris wrote:

Holy crap that's amazing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:04 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:43 pm
Location: USA
It really is amazing. Charming packaging to match an overall stellar release. In the unlikely case that anyone reading this doesn't already know, "Ace in the Hole" also comes with a wonderful newspaper (Albuquerque Sun-Bulletin) style "booklet."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:00 pm 
Dot Com Dom
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm
I love it when people post in this thread on announcement day


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:57 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:14 pm
ImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:58 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:14 pm
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:59 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:08 pm
Still adhering hard and fast to the "If Classic Hollywood, then cartoon cover" rule I see.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:10 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:47 pm
this is the first time in a while where I personally think all the month's releases have absolutely horrendous cover art. Looking at all those covers aligned with each other... what the hell is that mess?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:11 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village
ptatler wrote:
Still adhering hard and fast to the "If Classic Hollywood, then cartoon cover" rule I see.
Not entirely. My Darling Clementine, It Happened One Night and In a Lonely Place to name a few that didn't get the cartoon treatment.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:12 pm 

Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 11:01 pm
Location: Missoula, MT
Are there really Stand alones of Umbrellas and Rochefort? I'm not seeing them on the site, nor does it seem they've made their usual "April Titles" tweets and site update.

*edit: spelling


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:16 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 pm
ng4996 wrote:
Are there really Stand alones of Umbrellas and Rochefort? I'm not seeing them on the site, nor does it seem they've made their usual "April Titles" tweets and site update.

*edit: spelling


They're listed on the individual pages for those titles. A no brainer, really, with La La Land currently scheduled for its home video release the same day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:18 pm 

Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 11:01 pm
Location: Missoula, MT
Thank you! Just seems odd not to have them on the Coming Soon page.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:18 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am
carmilla mircalla wrote:
this is the first time in a while where I personally think all the month's releases have absolutely horrendous cover art. Looking at all those covers aligned with each other... what the hell is that mess?


I didn't realise it at first glance but yes, even Tampopo is quite bad (and even the arts from the randomly broken set are pretty waful too).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:19 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village
Wow. George Cukor is listed as director on the Woman of the Year page. Sloppy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:24 pm 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Washington
captveg wrote:

They're listed on the individual pages for those titles. A no brainer, really, with La La Land currently scheduled for its home video release the same day.

More than likely why. The sell sheets are pushing the La La Land connection.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:28 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:10 am
Location: Atlanta
Woman of the Year cover is based on Jacques Kapralik original artwork he did for the film in 1940's


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:36 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
Wow. George Cukor is listed as director on the Woman of the Year page. Sloppy.


Now, you can't expect all the t's to be crossed after such a short weekend.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:37 pm 
Dot Com Dom
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm
Tampopo is okay, though the poster was better. Rumble Fish and Buena Vista suck, Woman of the Year I'm indifferent to


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:22 am
Buena Vista and Tampopo I'm fine with, Woman of the Year is a neat concept, and Rumble Fish is hideous and reminds me of the (equally bad) Mala Noche cover.

I find it odd that the last three months of releases have all had at least one terrible cover (Before Trilogy, Canoa, and now Rumble Fish) after a year with better-than-average cover art.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:57 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village
captveg wrote:
FrauBlucher wrote:
Wow. George Cukor is listed as director on the Woman of the Year page. Sloppy.


Now, you can't expect all the t's to be crossed after such a short weekend.
That's what happens when you have hungover interns enter the info.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:59 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
captveg wrote:
FrauBlucher wrote:
Wow. George Cukor is listed as director on the Woman of the Year page. Sloppy.


Now, you can't expect all the t's to be crossed after such a short weekend.
That's what happens when you have hungover interns enter the info.


They were probably occupied trying to file the licensing paperwork for the Hidden Fences release.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:29 pm 

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:17 pm
Michael Boland also did The American Friend. Strikingly similar to Rumble Fish.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:33 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:48 am
Location: KCK
what a horrid month. oof.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:26 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:30 pm
Location: Texas
mikeyzjames wrote:
Michael Boland also did The American Friend. Strikingly similar to Rumble Fish.

Also Purple Noon. He really likes those double images of two male stars (though I get that the image below makes literal sense in the movie).

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:29 pm 
Dot Com Dom
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm
I think I blocked out that Purple Noon cover, because I don't remember it being so hideous! Good lord!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




This site is not affiliated with The Criterion Collection