Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol. 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
CSM126

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#676 Post by CSM126 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:56 pm

Midnight Cowboy looks like a dime store paperback cover. In other words: it’s perfect.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#677 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:11 pm

KJones77 wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:
KJones77 wrote:The only way the Beyond the Hills and Graduation covers make sense is if they're part of a box-set.
Aside from the fact that they both use parts of stills, what else makes them remotely similar?
They have the same director.
...................................... I meant the covers, not the releases in general

KJones77

#678 Post by KJones77 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:01 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
KJones77 wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:Aside from the fact that they both use parts of stills, what else makes them remotely similar?
They have the same director.
...................................... I meant the covers, not the releases in general
I mean you just asked what made them similar. They use stills as you pointed out, the color scheme as someone else pointed out, and then they're from the same director

That said, I never said they were from a box-set. I just thought they were both boring to the point that they'd be more appropriate as individual covers inside a large box-set a la the Before trilogy release.

John Shade

#679 Post by John Shade » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:17 pm

Also glad Au Hasard kept its original cover--hopefully this means Notorious will keep its cover too, and come out soon.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#680 Post by cdnchris » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:00 am

mteller

#681 Post by mteller » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:35 am

Not a fan of the Moonrise cover. They took of the most iconic images in the film and turned it into a clunky, obvious gag.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#682 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:39 am

I'm curious, what makes it a gag in your view? Maybe it's just a lapse in sense of humor, but I find it striking in a rather chilling way...

mteller

#683 Post by mteller » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:25 pm

I mean gag in the sense of "trick", not "joke". Probably there's a better word I could have used there.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#684 Post by tenia » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:00 pm

Gimmicky ?

dwk

#685 Post by dwk » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:20 pm

Greg Ruth did the Moonrise art and here is the boklet/insert art

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#686 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Infinitely better, and without the free bubble font of the current cover too

felipe

#687 Post by felipe » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:51 pm

That Graduation cover... Seriously, who's going to look at that and say "I gotta check this one out"?

movielocke

#688 Post by movielocke » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:54 pm

felipe wrote:That Graduation cover... Seriously, who's going to look at that and say "I gotta check this one out"?
I don't know anything about the film, but I'd guess based on the cover that it's about a Father in crisis because his daughter has turned her back on him, a literal interpretation of the cover image. Basically to me, in a state of total ignorance, it implies it is a family-in-trouble film. The implication is it's better than a Lifetime movie, though, since it's got the criterion label. ;)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#689 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:59 pm

If you've seen the movie though, you know that still is from a very important scene where
SpoilerShow
the dad asks his daughter if she would like some ice cream and she says no thanks and walks away, leaving him to eat ice cream all alone.

Graphist

Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol. 7

#690 Post by Graphist » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:16 pm

Love the Mishima cover even though it is not new. (I am guessing it will be a digipak too.) Also really glad they kept the artwork for Bresson’s film. As for Midnight Cowboy, overall I like it (the play with the lights, very 60s) though there is definitely room for improvement and refinement, esp. with typography.

MoonlitKnight

#691 Post by MoonlitKnight » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:08 am

dwk wrote:Greg Ruth did the Moonrise art and here is the boklet/insert art
Hmmm... Image :-k

Werewolf by Night

#692 Post by Werewolf by Night » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:12 am

I would have thought—if you’re going to use a still/shot from the film—that the broken window would be a much better, more evocative image.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#693 Post by cdnchris » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:19 am

fdm

#694 Post by fdm » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:12 am

Only going by those snaps and my flash order, but it seems Criterion has maybe dropped the cellophane type of outer wrapping that used to be the most often used kind and gone with just the heatshrunk stuff. (It's the little things, but I look forward to reading ad infinitum about all the rewraps that are out there now and associated conspiracy theories.)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#695 Post by tenia » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:20 am

If this is better for avoiding having cellophane stuck on each side of the case, including the spine, I'm all for it. Even outside Criterion releases, I've never had so many releases where the cellophane was just stuck everywhere and needed extra careful removal. It's definitely not something I remember having to do so often in the past (say 3-4 years ago). I had the case just last week with Universal's Happy Death Day and the week before with another new release.

fdm

#696 Post by fdm » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:33 am

I don't really mind that so much, but on the other hand I do dislike melted/wrinkled cases.

Especially the ones that are hard to replace. Not too bad with Criterions usually, but some other labels sheesh. (Also starting to see it more common with imports, maybe those were rewraps though (only just sort of kidding).)

FrauBlucher

#697 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:51 am

For whatever reason I took for granted that The Passion was going to be a digipak. Oh well. It's actually disappointing box art.

Morbii

#698 Post by Morbii » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:48 am

fdm wrote:Only going by those snaps and my flash order, but it seems Criterion has maybe dropped the cellophane type of outer wrapping that used to be the most often used kind and gone with just the heatshrunk stuff. (It's the little things, but I look forward to reading ad infinitum about all the rewraps that are out there now and associated conspiracy theories.)
Hey, in just the last year I’ve had two rewraps that underneath maintained small strips of the original cellophane (on the spines).

fdm

#699 Post by fdm » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:09 pm

Morbii wrote:Hey, in just the last year I’ve had two rewraps that underneath maintained small strips of the original cellophane (on the spines).
I know they happen. Gotten a few myself (though I don't recall any of them having been Criterions). But sometimes there are those who assume just because it's that kind of shrinkwrap it's automatically been rewrapped, even if the stickers are still in place. For starters.

HitchcockLang

#700 Post by HitchcockLang » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:15 pm

Gee thanks. I never thought about the concept of rewraps before but now I won't be able to buy a blu-ray ever again without my paranoia acting up.