FilmStruck

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
D50

Re: Filmstruck

#651 Post by D50 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:53 am

Tuesday's short feature: Sam Taylor-Johnson's Love You More.

Didn't realize that was Andrea Riseborough. Wow.

jwd5275

#652 Post by jwd5275 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:26 pm

Just added:
The Missionary (1981) Richard Loncraine

D50

#653 Post by D50 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:06 pm

Existing Criterion Channel movies in Recently Added with supplements and commentary added:

The Shooting (5 supplements, commentary)
Ride in the Whirlwind (3 supplements, commentary)
Burroughs: The Movie (9 supplements, commentary)
The Blob (1 supplement, commentary)
Speedy (4 supplements, commentary)
The Gold Rush (commentary)

D50

#654 Post by D50 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:23 pm

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#655 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:18 am

Wow. That's a ton of movies disappearing. Appeal of this service started low and is sinking fast.

Lars Von Truffaut

#656 Post by Lars Von Truffaut » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:11 am

I have to assume that: (1) some of the titles leaving Filmstruck entirely will return - just not for a few months or even a year down the road, (2) quite a few of these are titles that have been rumored for release or upgrade by Criterion - so it would make sense that they want to wring the money from the physical media market first (Hard Eight, No Home Movie, Talk To Her), (3) there will be lots of exciting additions to replace these.

Then again, this optimism is coming from someone who is waiting for them to launch on the Playstation platform, so... #-o

Ribs

#657 Post by Ribs » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:24 am

That seems like a bit of a strong reaction; it's pretty clear that every week on Friday about 20 movies are added fitting 2-3 categories on the Filmstruck side, and those are on for six months, meaning it will theoretically always be the same amount of titles more or less.

D50

#658 Post by D50 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:38 am

Criterion Channel:

Carlos Episode 1-3 (11 supplements)

Filmstruck:

The Band's Visit

cdobbs

#659 Post by cdobbs » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:38 pm

quequeg wrote:
Magic Hate Ball wrote:Anyone else have issues with Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown? The whole time I was watching it there were little audio hiccups, it was kind of annoying. Everything else was playing fine.
I'm having this issue on almost everything that I watch on Filmstruck. No problem with other streaming. Its sounds almost like feed-back. Will try clearing cache as recommended.
I have had this trouble watching two films using the app on my Fire TV. Constant audio hiccups like I'm listening to a badly ripped mp3 from the early 00s.

flyonthewall2983

#660 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:29 pm

I've been having that issue as well. What I noticed is that it only seems to affect films with a 2.0 stereo track or better. Films in mono don't have that, or at least it isn't as noticeable.

Noiradelic

#661 Post by Noiradelic » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:59 pm

They've changed the "Early 2017" category that Roku was under to "Spring 2017," so no Roku support till the third week of March at the earliest. So much for me viewing movies on Filmstruck for the All-Time List (good thing I crammed most of what I wanted to watch before the switchover from Hulu).

repeat

#662 Post by repeat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:07 am

The expiring titles apparently leave at midnight CST (or even EST?) at the beginning of the listed day - was going to watch a film just now (it's five past midnight CST, Feb 16 turning to 17) and all the Fords and Akermans listed as expiring on the 17th are gone already. Thought this might be useful to know.

I wish they had the information on every film page instead of that inconvenient page (that doesn't even list the directors), or a watchlist warning system like Hulu has, can't be that difficult to do.

MongooseCmr

#663 Post by MongooseCmr » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:35 am

mfunk9786 wrote:Wow. That's a ton of movies disappearing. Appeal of this service started low and is sinking fast.
I won't say that much, but I've been a bit let down by this overall. Life got in the way of viewing just as Filmstruck launched until just after titles started to expire, and it's like a huge game of catchup trying to see all the things I'm curious about along with bigger viewing priorities, and then balance that with what's expiring weekly. I've barely even touched the Criterion Channel because of it

Which isn't to say this is a bad service, but personally I had hopes this curated, wide ranging approach to film streaming would make me a more productive viewer. Here's hoping that Xbox app gives me more options to watch.... in fall 2017.

Ribs

#664 Post by Ribs » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:37 am

repeat wrote:The expiring titles apparently leave at midnight CST (or even EST?) at the beginning of the listed day - was going to watch a film just now (it's five past midnight CST, Feb 16 turning to 17) and all the Fords and Akermans listed as expiring on the 17th are gone already. Thought this might be useful to know.

I wish they had the information on every film page instead of that inconvenient page (that doesn't even list the directors), or a watchlist warning system like Hulu has, can't be that difficult to do.
I think they actually take the down a day or two beforehand - I went to watch one of the Almodovars a week ago in the early evening of the Thursday and it was gone. They'd prefer to be safe than sorry (I think they're taken down manually rather than automated, so this is needed if no one's in the office at midnight)

repeat

#665 Post by repeat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:06 pm

Ribs wrote:I think they actually take the down a day or two beforehand - I went to watch one of the Almodovars a week ago in the early evening of the Thursday and it was gone. They'd prefer to be safe than sorry (I think they're taken down manually rather than automated, so this is needed if no one's in the office at midnight)
EDIT: just asked customer service: it's based on GMT, so that pretty much explains this I guess!

Minkin

#666 Post by Minkin » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:08 pm

At least nobody should be complaining about the lack of interesting movies on Filmstruck!

My S/O did a free 2week trial of Hulu (to see Golden Girls) - and I took a look through there - and its absolutely pathetic. I know the movie section was terrible outside of Criterion, but jeeze. They've even removed the few reasons I ever cared about Hulu in the first place (Elvira). Then there are still commercials! I thought that was the whole point of them splitting "Yahoo View" (free service) from Hulu (now paid only). What a shitty company. Criterion couldn't have left that sinking ship at a better time.

Add to that - Netflix keeps getting constantly worse outside of original programming. It seems like only a token amount of Paramount "classics" remain on the service. I'm also annoyed with Netflix having removed a ton of stuff in 2017 (mostly from Universal - which is now MIA everywhere).

Filmstruck itself might be partly to blame - as its hosting a lot of studio classics, but even before Filmstruck, the writing was on the wall that streaming services only included classic or films older than 10 years if they were contractually forced to. So I can understand some gripes when content leaves Filmstruck - but they're going to constantly keep things updated - and with different films from the studios (thus those are always changing).

Luke M

#667 Post by Luke M » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:34 pm

Noiradelic wrote:They've changed the "Early 2017" category that Roku was under to "Spring 2017," so no Roku support till the third week of March at the earliest. So much for me viewing movies on Filmstruck for the All-Time List (good thing I crammed most of what I wanted to watch before the switchover from Hulu).
I'm gonna be buying blu-rays forever.

Ribs

#668 Post by Ribs » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:53 pm

New Filmstruck-side categories up:

Mann/Alton Noir
Raw Deal
He Walked by Night
T-Men
Border Incident
Devil's Doorway

There's also a Wenders "Masters" category but disappointingly the only thing not already up on the Criterion side is The End of Violence.

Dead or Deader

#669 Post by Dead or Deader » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:35 pm

Minkin wrote:At least nobody should be complaining about the lack of interesting movies on Filmstruck!

My S/O did a free 2week trial of Hulu (to see Golden Girls) - and I took a look through there - and its absolutely pathetic. I know the movie section was terrible outside of Criterion, but jeeze. They've even removed the few reasons I ever cared about Hulu in the first place (Elvira). Then there are still commercials! I thought that was the whole point of them splitting "Yahoo View" (free service) from Hulu (now paid only). What a shitty company. Criterion couldn't have left that sinking ship at a better time.

Add to that - Netflix keeps getting constantly worse outside of original programming. It seems like only a token amount of Paramount "classics" remain on the service. I'm also annoyed with Netflix having removed a ton of stuff in 2017 (mostly from Universal - which is now MIA everywhere).

Filmstruck itself might be partly to blame - as its hosting a lot of studio classics, but even before Filmstruck, the writing was on the wall that streaming services only included classic or films older than 10 years if they were contractually forced to. So I can understand some gripes when content leaves Filmstruck - but they're going to constantly keep things updated - and with different films from the studios (thus those are always changing).

Truth be matter: The major streaming services don't give a shit about classic films, which is marginalizing them in cultural reputation.

D50

#670 Post by D50 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:40 am

Completed the excellent Filmstruck Written by Horton Foote banner films - 5, of which I had already seen The Trip to Bountiful. Started the trilogy with On Valentine's Day, not knowing it was the second in the trilogy - and quickly followed up with 1918, then Courtship. Of course they were made in reverse order, so Courtship, then Valentine's, then 1918 to see them in order. The same actors have the same rolls in the trilogy - Hallie Foote (Horton's daughter), William Converse-Roberts, Matthew Broderick.
Last edited by D50 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Noiradelic

#671 Post by Noiradelic » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:05 pm

Minkin wrote:My S/O did a free 2week trial of Hulu (to see Golden Girls) - and I took a look through there - and its absolutely pathetic. I know the movie section was terrible outside of Criterion, but jeeze. They've even removed the few reasons I ever cared about Hulu in the first place (Elvira). Then there are still commercials! I thought that was the whole point of them splitting "Yahoo View" (free service) from Hulu (now paid only). What a shitty company. Criterion couldn't have left that sinking ship at a better time.

Filmstruck itself might be partly to blame - as its hosting a lot of studio classics, but even before Filmstruck, the writing was on the wall that streaming services only included classic or films older than 10 years if they were contractually forced to.
Hulu is owned by ABC, NBC and Fox (Time Warner also recently acquired a 10% stake), so their primary content is current TV shows. Though they're often stacked up against Netflix, it's a bit apple-oranges, because they have a different model. As you intimated, other than the Criterion channel, their movie selection has always sucked. I'd say their TV programming has marginally improved because there are more complete series and seasons available. But if network TV and some basic cable series aren't your bag, than Hulu is inherently going to fall short.

The point of Yahoo View, as you mentioned, was to split the free online service from the paid service. When I first tried Hulu, I was taken aback by a paid service having commercials, but when I learned they were owned by three of the networks it made more sense. Hulu ups TV episodes the day after they first air; if they didn't have commercials then the networks would be undercutting themselves.

Filmstruck hasn't been around long enough to affect other streaming services (except Hulu natch). Think Netflix has less classic movies because they've lost many big libraries in the last five years; licensing films overall has gotten more expensive, so they're specializing on TV series more. They'd happily offer more big-name seventies and eighties classics if they were inexpensive to acquire.

Minkin

#672 Post by Minkin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:29 pm

Hulu has like 7 movies in their "classics" genre - including James Bond, The Lorax and Friday the 13th. Its the absolute epitome of streaming service dumping "old" films. I know Hulu's movie offerings were never spectacular, but they at least had some interesting choices - even a year ago. Now it appears they've lost everything other than television.

I still have zero access to Filmstruck. I've tried on my computer (three different web browsers), my S/O's computer, and a tablet - and I can never get the page to load. So I have no way to check whether anything new has been added, so I'm going to be entirely reliant on people posting in this thread in order to update the forthcoming list.

I haven't added anything since The Missonary. Was anything new (Criterion) added? Ribs' list was rather unclear, is The End of Violence a new title with Criterion branding?

D50

#673 Post by D50 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:17 pm

Minkin wrote:...is The End of Violence a new title with Criterion branding?
Nope.

La Truite, in Filmstruck's Joseph Losey banner films, opens with Criterion branding, and shows this cover:

D50

#674 Post by D50 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:50 pm

Jean de Florette added to Filmstruck.

movielocke

#675 Post by movielocke » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:59 pm

and Border Radio