FilmStruck

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Ribs
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: FilmStruck

#1301 Post by Ribs » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:06 pm

The rest of the set’s already on the channel

SSF
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:32 pm

Re: FilmStruck

#1302 Post by SSF » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:25 am

So is it true that Day of Wrath is being paired with Ken Russell's The Devils as a Friday Night Double Feature in October?

albucat
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:06 am

Re: FilmStruck

#1303 Post by albucat » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:46 am

Nope, not one of the four: McCabe & Dead Man, Seven Samurai & Magnificent 7, Night of the Living Dead & I walked with a zombie, Arsenic & old Lace and The Body Snatcher

User avatar
jwd5275
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:26 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: FilmStruck

#1304 Post by jwd5275 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:52 am

I noticed the phantom page yesterday, but think it's likely for November (if at all). If it happens, it would hopefully signal a change in Warner Brothers attitude toward the film.

User avatar
jwd5275
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:26 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: FilmStruck

#1305 Post by jwd5275 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:10 am

Ken Russell's The Devils is now on the main FilmStruck channel

User avatar
Reverend Drewcifer
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Re: FilmStruck

#1306 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:21 am

Run-time is listed as 1 hour, 40 minutes. Can anyone confirm which version this is? I would myself, but the movie is obviously NSFW.

User avatar
jwd5275
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:26 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: FilmStruck

#1307 Post by jwd5275 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:28 am

Listed run-time is wrong. When played it shows 1 hour 48 minutes

User avatar
criterionsnob
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:23 am
Location: Canada

Re: FilmStruck

#1308 Post by criterionsnob » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:34 am

Is The Devils in HD? I have the BFI DVD, but can’t access Filmstruck legally in Canada.

User avatar
movielocke
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:44 am

Re: FilmStruck

#1309 Post by movielocke » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:04 pm

Yes, what are the runtimes of the various versions of The Devils?

User avatar
MichaelB
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: Worthing
Contact:

Re: FilmStruck

#1310 Post by MichaelB » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:33 pm

The British theatrical cut is 111 mins, the 2004 semi-restoration is approx 113 mins. Avoid all other versions.

User avatar
movielocke
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:44 am

Re: FilmStruck

#1311 Post by movielocke » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:01 pm

MichaelB wrote:The British theatrical cut is 111 mins, the 2004 semi-restoration is approx 113 mins. Avoid all other versions.
Are the three minutes of cuts to the American version really that bad?

User avatar
MichaelB
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: Worthing
Contact:

Re: FilmStruck

#1312 Post by MichaelB » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:09 pm

It’s more than three minutes, because there are shot substitutions as well - all carried out without Ken Russell’s involvement, and he disowned the end result.

The only two versions that Russell ever endorsed are the two that I mentioned.

User avatar
Reverend Drewcifer
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Re: FilmStruck

#1313 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:11 pm


unclehulot
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:09 pm
Location: here and there

FilmStruck

#1314 Post by unclehulot » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:26 pm

criterionsnob wrote:Is The Devils in HD? I have the BFI DVD, but can’t access Filmstruck legally in Canada.

I’m afraid it’s emphatically not in HD. In fact, on my Apple TV app the entire image is within a 4:3 portion of the screen, thus with large borders on all 4 sides. Quite awful looking.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
jesus the mexican boi
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:09 am
Location: South of the Capitol of Texas

Re: FilmStruck

#1315 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:23 pm

It's not unwatchable but for such a beautiful film, it certainly lessens the experience to see it this way.

User avatar
MichaelB
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: Worthing
Contact:

FilmStruck

#1316 Post by MichaelB » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:11 am

The Devils is indeed only available in SD as far as I’m aware - although the BFI DVD is natively anamorphic so the source should be better than as described above.

It’s worth adding that the 2004 semi-restoration has only ever existed in SD, so even if Warner Bros changes its mind a HD presentation will require rescanning the 35mm elements and recreating the restoration from scratch.

User avatar
371229
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:28 am

Re: FilmStruck

#1317 Post by 371229 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:37 pm

I'm not sure if everyone is aware... Kanopy has a lot of Criterion titles available... and it's free through your local library (that is if your library offers the service). However, it appears they only have the more popular Criterion titles (about 30 available) for streaming. I'm not sure how the PQ compares with Filmstruck... but I had no complaints. They also offer a lot of independent and world cinema titles available. I think it's a much better deal... free vs. $9.99 a month.

motefuzz
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:04 pm

Re: FilmStruck

#1318 Post by motefuzz » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:00 pm

I don't know if anyone has ever tried this, but you can actually return items to Barnes & Nobel if you tell them a relative died and you start crying. Sort of embarrassing but you get all your money back in a gift card.

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: FilmStruck

#1319 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:09 pm

Fortunately that trick also works with just a receipt

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: FilmStruck

#1320 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:48 pm

"My receipt died!"

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: FilmStruck

#1321 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:52 pm

They're the only family I even have at this point

User avatar
RSTooley
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: FilmStruck

#1322 Post by RSTooley » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:55 pm

371229 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:37 pm
I'm not sure if everyone is aware... Kanopy has a lot of Criterion titles available... and it's free through your local library (that is if your library offers the service). However, it appears they only have the more popular Criterion titles (about 30 available) for streaming. I'm not sure how the PQ compares with Filmstruck... but I had no complaints. They also offer a lot of independent and world cinema titles available. I think it's a much better deal... free vs. $9.99 a month.
Janus Films' page on Kanopy's website advertises 396 videos, not 30.

I used to have access to Kanopy through my university, but I have since graduated and my local library does not offer the service. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who has access.

User avatar
Kirkinson
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:34 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: FilmStruck

#1323 Post by Kirkinson » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:21 pm

RSTooley wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:55 pm
371229 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:37 pm
I'm not sure if everyone is aware... Kanopy has a lot of Criterion titles available... and it's free through your local library (that is if your library offers the service). However, it appears they only have the more popular Criterion titles (about 30 available) for streaming. I'm not sure how the PQ compares with Filmstruck... but I had no complaints. They also offer a lot of independent and world cinema titles available. I think it's a much better deal... free vs. $9.99 a month.
Janus Films' page on Kanopy's website advertises 396 videos, not 30.

I used to have access to Kanopy through my university, but I have since graduated and my local library does not offer the service. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who has access.
I believe the collection varies depending on your library. That page lists only 50 videos for me, but if I open it in an incognito window (i.e., without the web site remembering what library I've logged in through before) then I see all 396 titles. The number of titles you can watch in a month will also vary depending on your library (I can watch 6, but other libraries may be more or less generous). But obviously still worth checking out since it costs you nothing.

ftsoh
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:59 am

Re: FilmStruck

#1324 Post by ftsoh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:28 pm

Kirkinson wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:21 pm
RSTooley wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:55 pm
371229 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:37 pm
I'm not sure if everyone is aware... Kanopy has a lot of Criterion titles available... and it's free through your local library (that is if your library offers the service). However, it appears they only have the more popular Criterion titles (about 30 available) for streaming. I'm not sure how the PQ compares with Filmstruck... but I had no complaints. They also offer a lot of independent and world cinema titles available. I think it's a much better deal... free vs. $9.99 a month.
Janus Films' page on Kanopy's website advertises 396 videos, not 30.

I used to have access to Kanopy through my university, but I have since graduated and my local library does not offer the service. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who has access.
I believe the collection varies depending on your library. That page lists only 50 videos for me, but if I open it in an incognito window (i.e., without the web site remembering what library I've logged in through before) then I see all 396 titles. The number of titles you can watch in a month will also vary depending on your library (I can watch 6, but other libraries may be more or less generous). But obviously still worth checking out since it costs you nothing.
Thanks for the information. My Public Library System shows 50 titles. Apparently only the feature is streamed but not the extras. Would still need the Blu/DVD or Filmstruck for that. Anyway, no complain here since it is free.

unclehulot
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:09 pm
Location: here and there

Re: FilmStruck

#1325 Post by unclehulot » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:11 am

MichaelB wrote:The Devils is indeed only available in SD as far as I’m aware - although the BFI DVD is natively anamorphic so the source should be better than as described above.

It’s worth adding that the 2004 semi-restoration has only ever existed in SD, so even if Warner Bros changes its mind a HD presentation will require rescanning the 35mm elements and recreating the restoration from scratch.

If Filmstruck would properly scale the thing for 16:9 it would certainly help matters. As is stands, one must watch a minuscule image in the middle of the screen, or zoom in, which is most cases crops the left and right sides. They DO manage this correctly in 98% of SD sources they offer, but this mistake was more common in their first few “not ready for prime time” months of existence.

Post Reply