It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:06 am 

I guess I'm the oddball here because Tongues is by far my favorite TH studio album. Yes, "Burning Down the House" has an associated cringe factor, but the ecstasy of "This Must Be the Place" easily mitigates that.

Speaking in Tongues
Remain in Light
Little Creatures (conventional as heck, but mighty damn catchy)
Fear of Music
More Songs About Buildings and Food
True Stories
Naked

I don't rank Stop Making Sense because whenever I want to hear it I just watch the movie. If we count the movie as an album, then it's my #1.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:18 pm 

Byrne's approach to the film True Stories is very much in line with his songwriting, especially the material on Fear of Music which has lyrics that appear ironic, but are delivered with no indication of irony. He carried this pretense (if you want to call it that) into live performances during the pre-Stop Making Sense period. I attended a concert in Detroit (Nov. '79) where Byrne walked on-stage and announced, "The name of this band is Talking Heads and we'll play now" in a minimalist cadence which suggested an Andy Kaufman-style put-on (hence, the live album title a couple of years later). For the final encore, he announced, "We will now play one more song and then leave". That same deadpan approach is found in the True Stories film, but with a small degree of empathy added, in line with how the Heads' songs had started to incorporate empathy from Remain In Light on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:21 pm 

The most important part of the news of this release: Stephen Tobolowsky enters The Criterion Collection!