Forthcoming: Detour

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
FrauBlucher

#1 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon May 07, 2018 9:25 pm

JANUS FILMS TO TOUR NEW 4K RESTORATION OF EDGAR G. ULMER’S DETOUR.... A must watch, the Eddie Muller's TCM Noir Alley Intro/Outro clips attached to this article.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Forthcoming: Detour

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:38 pm

Confirmed by Leonard Martin at ComicCon as forthcoming from Criterion

Orlac

#3 Post by Orlac » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:12 am

Has Wade Williams finally chosen to cooperate?

perkizitore

#4 Post by perkizitore » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:47 am

Orlac wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:12 am
Has Wade Williams finally chosen to cooperate?
What has he got to do with it , does he own the rights to the original film?

swo17

#5 Post by swo17 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:59 am

It's in the public domain but Williams owns high quality prints of many of these types of films. (See Image's numerous releases in the Wade Williams Collection, which usually boast the best picture quality for any given one of the films.)

aox

#6 Post by aox » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:05 pm

Fantastic addition.

I haven't seen it since college, but I remember loving it and showing it to many friends at the time. Looking forward to revisting it.

FrauBlucher

#7 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:04 pm

I think the prints used were not belonging to Mr Williams. The link above explains.

It played at the TCM film festival but didn’t see one review or comment about the quality.

RyanGallagher

#8 Post by RyanGallagher » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:26 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:38 pm
Confirmed by Leonard Martin at ComicCon as forthcoming from Criterion
Sorry, this isn’t actually what happened during the panel. When asked what his favorite B Movie was, Leonard said Detour. My tweet was poorly phrased and I included a link to the article I wrote when the Janus press release went out earlier this year. So he didn’t confirm anything about Criterion. He just said that he liked the movie.

Cinephrenic

#9 Post by Cinephrenic » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:33 pm

Another noir saved from public domain crappy editions.

FrauBlucher

#10 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:52 pm

This came from Glenn Erickson aka DVDSavant aka CineSavant. Another confirmation...
A brief news bit today. Just last night the Academy screened Edgar G. Ulmer’s amazing ‘loser noir’ classic Detour, the new restoration that premiered at the AMIA’s The Reel Thing a few weeks back. As one of the more desired of Hollywood pictures partly tied up in the hands of private collectors, Detour has been languishing in an unrestored state far too long. I wasn’t able to attend last night’s scheduled screening, and am curious to know what if anything was said about the film’s ownership status. Ulmer’s daughter Arianné Ulmer Cipes has been promoting her father’s career and restoring his films for the last 25 years or so; finally bringing the director’s most celebrated picture back to the fore must be a big step for her. I interviewed Arianné about life her with her adventurous filmmaking parents on last year’s Blu-ray of The Man from Planet X. Around 2003 or so she opened her files to show me PRC paperwork proving that Detour wasn’t quite the phantom shoestring film that overzealous reviewers had made it out to be — its shooting schedule was brief but she assured me that the budget ($135,000, I think) was above average for a PRC picture in 1945. When Arianné wrote to let me know me about last night’s screening she hinted that a Blu-ray would be on the way soon, from Criterion. I hope that works out to be true.