Criterion and Fox / MGM / Universal

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Cronenfly

#76 Post by Cronenfly » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:22 pm

Jeff wrote:
Cronenfly wrote:Not to be the potential bearer of bad news, but couldn't this new deal only apply to Fox Searchlight titles?
Not likely. Searchlight is just an interior company division. They don't have a distinct home video department capable of negotiating such deals.
In thinking about it more, the New Line deal was only for Fine Line titles, so wouldn't this deal being Searchlight-only be feasible (given a pre-existing deal of a similar ilk)?

Jeff

#77 Post by Jeff » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:35 pm

Cronenfly wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Cronenfly wrote:Not to be the potential bearer of bad news, but couldn't this new deal only apply to Fox Searchlight titles?
Not likely. Searchlight is just an interior company division. They don't have a distinct home video department capable of negotiating such deals.
In thinking about it more, the New Line deal was only for Fine Line titles, so wouldn't this deal being Searchlight-only be feasible (given a pre-existing deal of a similar ilk)?
That's a very good point, and I hadn't thought of it before. I still suspect this might be different, since Fox is a major studio that Criterion has licensed from before. The Fine Line deal was inked privately (years before the titles were released) by Ira Deutchman.

If indeed it is just Searchlight titles, I agree with the consensus that there isn't much to release. Fox Searchlight has released some very good films, but most of those already have well-appointed DVDs. I suppose Stealing Beauty might have an outside shot, but that certainly isn't one of Bertolucci's most loved films.

I guess it is possible that The Ice Storm was licensed as part of the initial Fox deal several years ago and has just been delayed, but that doesn't seem likely. If more general Fox titles are still in play, Secrets and Lies and The Innocents seem like reasonable possibilities.

souvenir

#78 Post by souvenir » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:59 pm

The rumored Cry of the City would throw a wrench in the Searchlight-only idea, unless it was part of the older deal.

Fritz Lang's Man Hunt was originally scheduled to be released by Fox this fall, but I wonder if there would be a chance Criterion might be interested.

Cronenfly

#79 Post by Cronenfly » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:04 am

Jeff wrote:I guess it is possible that The Ice Storm was licensed as part of the initial Fox deal several years ago and has just been delayed, but that doesn't seem likely. If more general Fox titles are still in play, Secrets and Lies and The Innocents seem like reasonable possibilities.
The Ice Storm is a Searchlight title, and I'd say that it's likely that it and Darjeeling are the only things that get licensed (if it is indeed a Seachlight-only deal, which I truly hope it isn't).
souvenir wrote:The rumored Cry of the City would throw a wrench in the Searchlight-only idea, unless it was part of the older deal.

Fritz Lang's Man Hunt was originally scheduled to be released by Fox this fall, but I wonder if there would be a chance Criterion might be interested.
I queried Gary Tooze about Cry of the City (he propogated the rumour at one point, I believe, in a newsletter of Criterion releasing it) and he claimed no knowledge of any forthcoming Criterion release (or any, for that matter, in R1). That doesn't necessarily mean anything, but still. Just a waiting game, I guess...

CSM126

#80 Post by CSM126 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:45 pm

Well, I suppose we know now how Criterion got more Fox titles... The Ford at Fox box includes the Criterion edition of Young Mr. Lincoln, according to the Beaver.

colinr0380

#81 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:12 pm

CSM126 wrote:Well, I suppose we know now how Criterion got more Fox titles... The Ford at Fox box includes the Criterion edition of Young Mr. Lincoln, according to the Beaver.
It seems to be a good bargain though - Fox gets to use it in their set, the disc also advertises Criterion and all of their extras are available exclusively on their two disc edition so the fans who bought that edition don't feel short changed.
Beaver wrote:I suppose Fox decided not to compete with the strength or Criterion's digital restoration techniques. It's a shame that the second disc of extras is not included though.
Why would they need to 'compete' with Criterion when they licensed the title to them less than two years ago? It isn't as though Criterion releasing their disc meant they bought the rights to release the film on DVD exclusively, it probably just meant that it was a title Fox didn't think there was much of a market for bringing it out individually themselves and let Criterion have the title.

Though the way the first disc is bare bones might suggest that this was a pre-arranged situation as far back as that early 2006 release - maybe there was something in the licence saying Fox would want to release the film at some point in the future and would want to use the Criterion disc for that purpose as part of the deal for letting Criterion have access to it? Then negotiating with Criterion so that their specifically licensed extras remained only on the second disc, making it easier for Fox to add the film as 'bare bones' to their prospective box set? I think it was a good solution that works well for both parties as the film speaks for itself well enough to be a bare bones DVD, but the Parkinson and first part of the Omnibus documentary as well as the audio interview and not forgetting the booklet are all wonderful additions to the deluxe Criterion set.

As some of the other DVD Beaver comparisons show, Fox are also using the exact same discs of films they released in their Studio Classics range as well but with those they created the extra material 'in-house' rather than buying in pre-existing material as Criterion did for the second disc of Young Mr Lincoln

MoonlitKnight

Re: Fox and Universal Licenses

#82 Post by MoonlitKnight » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:50 am

My wish list for top 5 releases from both studios:

1. "Taking Off" (Milos Forman, 1971) UNIVERSAL
2. "Comfort and Joy" (Bill Forsyth, 1984) UNIVERSAL
3. "The Incident" (Larry Peerce, 1967) FOX
4. "Sons and Lovers" (Jack Cardiff, 1960) FOX
5. "Resurrection" (Daniel Petrie, 1980) UNIVERSAL/"Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here" (Abraham Polonsky, 1969) FOX

ianungstad

#83 Post by ianungstad » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:37 am

Some from Universal:

Ruggles at Red Gap
Duck Soup
The Uninvited
Five Graves to Cairo
Blue Collar (Pretty sure this one is coming)
King of the Hill

Antoine Doinel

#84 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:31 pm

Duck Soup really doesn't need the Criterion treatment. Universal has given the film a proper release. I don't think anyone is aching for essays or commentary on that one.

jaredsap

#85 Post by jaredsap » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:00 pm

ianungstad wrote:Some from Universal:

Ruggles [of] Red Gap
FYI, this is on iTunes in HD!

ianungstad

#86 Post by ianungstad » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:47 pm

I'm hoping it gets released by either Universal or Criterion the same month that Make Way for Tomorrow shows up. Would be a nice surprise.

Taketori Washizu

#87 Post by Taketori Washizu » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:08 pm

Viva Zapata. Brando would be a welcome addition in the Criterion library. Fox doesnt seem to be in a hurry to release the title by themselves.

Perkins Cobb

#88 Post by Perkins Cobb » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:17 pm

Taking Off would be terrific, but I've heard (indirectly via Forman, if I remember correctly) that music rights issues have held up home video release on this one ... I think it's that they don't even know where to go to clear some of the performances in the audition scenes. Anyone else know if that's accurate or not?

I'm kicking myself for being an aspect ratio snob and not burning a disc of this from the Sundance Channel after seeing it was shown open matte.

Cold Bishop

#89 Post by Cold Bishop » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:46 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:Taking Off would be terrific, but I've heard (indirectly via Forman, if I remember correctly) that music rights issues have held up home video release on this one ... I think it's that they don't even know where to go to clear some of the performances in the audition scenes. Anyone else know if that's accurate or not?
Considering there are only two non-amateur songs on there, that would seem about right, although I'd be surprised if they went out of there way to license the songs from the musicians at the audition. I've always read it was a "we have the right to any footage taken at this audition if you choose to come" situation.

Zumpano

#90 Post by Zumpano » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:46 pm

Instead of the Marx Brothers, Criterion should take a look at Olsen and Johnson films Hellzapoppin' and/or Crazy House.

Have there been legal issues keeping Hellzapoppin' unseen all these years? (I've never seen it) Heck, Crazy House seems pretty rare these days too. (This, I did catch on Oxygen (!) a few years ago) Of course, the O&J audience is probably pretty small these days compared to Marx, Abbott & Costello, Crosby & Hope, etc.

What do you guys think?

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#91 Post by Buttery Jeb » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:11 pm

Zumpano wrote:Instead of the Marx Brothers, Criterion should take a look at Olsen and Johnson films Hellzapoppin' and/or Crazy House.

Have there been legal issues keeping Hellzapoppin' unseen all these years? (I've never seen it) Heck, Crazy House seems pretty rare these days too. (This, I did catch on Oxygen (!) a few years ago) Of course, the O&J audience is probably pretty small these days compared to Marx, Abbott & Costello, Crosby & Hope, etc.

What do you guys think?
As a fan of "Hellzapoppin'" I've checked on the situation once or twice; and there is some sort of legal hurdle keeping it off of U.S home video. I've heard differing reasons as to what the hassle is; most likely it's a problem with the estate that controls the original Broadway show, who feel that Universal didn't compensate them enough for the use of the name of their show for a film that, really, has little to do with the stage version.

"Crazy House" was shown on Trio briefly a few years back, when Quentin Tarrantino was guest-programmer for a week. So that film should be available for license; despite it being less well known than "Hellzapoppin'."

-BJ

beamish13

#92 Post by beamish13 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:04 pm

From Universal, I'd love to see "Night, Mother", the aforementioned "Comfort and Joy" (god, I love Bill Forsyth) and "At Play in the Fields of the Lord".

I don't know if Fox or Universal has it now, but I'm surprised that 1991's "Closet Land" hasn't been licensed to Criterion yet. I'd love to have a commentary from the film's director, who strikes me as something of a narcissistic whack job: http://www.closetland.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ianungstad

#93 Post by ianungstad » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:10 pm

I would buy BOOM! if it came with a John Waters commentary track.

MoonlitKnight

#94 Post by MoonlitKnight » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:51 am

Add Soderbergh's "King of the Hill" and Leigh's "Life Is Sweet" to my list. #-o

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#95 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:12 am

MoonlitKnight wrote:Soderbergh's "King of the Hill"
Has anyone asked about this? It is odd (and maybe telling?) how Universal has released it everywhere but R1.

Zumpano

#96 Post by Zumpano » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:03 pm

domino harvey wrote:
MoonlitKnight wrote:Soderbergh's "King of the Hill"
Has anyone asked about this? It is odd (and maybe telling?) how Universal has released it everywhere but R1.
To add further mystery/hope: This film has popped on HDMovies every so often this past year. So, there's a HD transfer out there...

"King of the Hill" and "Kafka" side-by-side spines? [-o<

Antoine Doinel

#97 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:54 pm

I wonder if Clockers is a possibility given the current DVD is barebones and also Universal's recent BD announcement of Do The Right Thing (packed with the extras from Criterion's DVD release).

ianungstad

#98 Post by ianungstad » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:10 pm

From Fox, I would be interested in either of these, both of which have not been released on R1 that I know of:

The Beautiful Blonde From Bashful Bend (Preston Sturges)
The Kremlin Letter (John Huston)

Beautiful Blonde was big box office bomb for Sturges but I've heard from several people that it was way ahead of it's time and is a pretty good watch, in spite of the reviews it garned upon release. I have not seen it but love Sturges and this is one of the last that needs a dvd release.

As for Kafka, I asked about that title, last fall, and got a "no plans" then.

Perkins Cobb

#99 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:08 pm

Kremlin Letter was on Fox's schedule a few years ago and pulled at the last minute, so there's probably a rights issue there.

HarryLong

#100 Post by HarryLong » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:00 pm

As for Kafka, I asked about that title, last fall, and got a "no plans" then.
I finally broke down & tracked down the VHS of KAFKA with an eye toward burning it onto DVDR.
My experience is that this almost certainly guarantees a DVD release within a year.