Criterion Random Speculation Vol.3

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Cronenfly

#1026 Post by Cronenfly » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:50 pm

From The Digital Bits:
Let's hope for another Eclipse box down the road with the remainder of the director's older films (Sanshiro Sugata, The Most Beautiful, They Who Step on the Tiger's Tail, Sanshiro Sugata, Part II and Those Who Make Tomorrow - we also believe Criterion is working on a regular collection release of Dodes Kaden for release in 2008, which would complete the release of the Kurosawa catalog on DVD in R1).
Finally! I thought Dodes'ka-den was put off indefinitely (much to my chagrin), so it makes me very happy to even hear rumour of this.

Gregory

#1027 Post by Gregory » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:07 pm

...which would complete the release of the Kurosawa catalog on DVD in R1.
I don't think that's correct, but if it is I'd be interested to know where I can get Sanshiro Sugata, The Most Beautiful, They Who Step on the Tiger's Tail, and Those Who Make Tomorrow in R1 (of course not counting any region-free imports from Hong Kong, China, etc. that may be out there).

Cronenfly

#1028 Post by Cronenfly » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:14 pm

Gregory wrote:
...which would complete the release of the Kurosawa catalog on DVD in R1.
I don't think that's correct, but if it is I'd be interested to know where I can get Sanshiro Sugata, The Most Beautiful, They Who Step on the Tiger's Tail, and Those Who Make Tomorrow in R1 (of course not counting any region-free imports from Hong Kong, China, etc. that may be out there).
Earlier in the quotation they indicate that the Kurosawa catalogue would be completed with the releases of Dodes'ka-den, Sanshiro Sugata, The Most Beautiful, They Who Step on the Tiger's Tail, Sanshiro Sugata, Part II and Those Who Make Tomorrow, the first by Criterion and the rest (presumably) by Eclipse. I only posted the quotation as confirmation of Dodes'ka-den, as it's just speculation on their part that the others will see Eclipse release. I misinterpreted that particular comment at first too.

Cinephrenic

#1029 Post by Cinephrenic » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:23 pm

Someone should email Criterion on Dodes'ka-den and Sanshiro Sugata. Since they are long-announced limbo titles, I think Criterion would give a welcomed response to their situation.

Cronenfly

#1030 Post by Cronenfly » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:34 pm

I was in a store on Friday that broke the release date for Breathless, and I saw on the back of the case that one of the licensees is Genius Products. Their "Miriam Collection" announcement has thus far added up to diddly (and you'd think Breathless would be a title they'd want to release themselves if they were going to release anything under a prestige DVD banner that would include foreign films) in terms of releases, so perhaps Madadayo, the Almodovars, other Wellspring titles, etc, will be Criterions.

eez28

#1031 Post by eez28 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:31 pm

To the best of my knowledge, at this time we don't have any Antonioni films on our immediately upcoming schedule.

I hope this helps, and thanks for your interest in Criterion!

Sincerely,
Tyson

Gregory

#1032 Post by Gregory » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:11 pm

cronenfly wrote:Earlier in the quotation they indicate that the Kurosawa catalogue would be completed with the releases of Dodes'ka-den, Sanshiro Sugata, The Most Beautiful, They Who Step on the Tiger's Tail, Sanshiro Sugata, Part II and Those Who Make Tomorrow, the first by Criterion and the rest (presumably) by Eclipse. I only posted the quotation as confirmation of Dodes'ka-den, as it's just speculation on their part that the others will see Eclipse release. I misinterpreted that particular comment at first too.
It was there plain as day but somehow my brain only the words in bold. :oops:

Cinephrenic

#1033 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:33 pm

Melville box?

Second Breath
Magnet of Doom
Le Doulos
Two Men in Manhattan
Leon Morin, pretre
Le Silence de la Mer

Via_Chicago

#1034 Post by Via_Chicago » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:00 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:Melville box?

Second Breath
Magnet of Doom
Le Doulos
Two Men in Manhattan
Leon Morin, pretre
Le Silence de la Mer
Well, we know that at least two of those titles (DOULOS, LEON MORIN) will one day be Criterions (Rialto...).

CSM126

#1035 Post by CSM126 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:24 am

This thought entered my head this morning...If Criterion is working with Fox again...what about Borat? With the rather thin edition it's currently available in, and considering it's immense popularity, it's obviously a title destined for a double-dip SE anyway. And I do remember Borat being mentioned on Criterion's blog as a film they chose to see, so they like it...

A long shot at best, yeah, but you never know.

keeproductions

#1036 Post by keeproductions » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:31 am

CSM126 wrote:If Criterion is working with Fox again...what about Borat?
Funny...yes. Immensely popular...yes. But what about it screams Criterion?

CSM126

#1037 Post by CSM126 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:34 am

keeproductions wrote:
CSM126 wrote:If Criterion is working with Fox again...what about Borat?
Funny...yes. Immensely popular...yes. But what about it screams Criterion?
What about Armageddon screamed Criterion? They could put together a pretty killer edition, and make a lot of money off of it.

keeproductions

#1038 Post by keeproductions » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:48 am

What about Armageddon screamed Criterion? They could put together a pretty killer edition, and make a lot of money off of it.
Before posting my original response I actual wrote and deleted "No fair citing Armageddon as justification." But then I realized there really is no other response.

Keith

CSM126

#1039 Post by CSM126 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:53 am

keeproductions wrote:Before posting my original response I actual wrote and deleted "No fair citing Armageddon as justification." But then I realized there really is no other response.
Well there is the simple "Borat is a great fucking movie" response, but that's all relative I suppose.

keeproductions

#1040 Post by keeproductions » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:06 pm

Well there is the simple "Borat is a great fucking movie" response, but that's all relative I suppose.
I couldn't agree more and thus the Armageddon Response goes right out the window. :P

For me, what ever the somewhat undefinable Criterion Cache is, Borat ain't got it.

Thanks for the responses though. 90% of my meager 53 posts have been threadkillers in the past.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1041 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:15 pm

Will never happen if only because a Borat special edition would make money for Fox. The End.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#1042 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:20 pm

Zentropa was released previously on VHS by Touchstone.

Can we expect more Buena Vista owned films?

Cronenfly

#1043 Post by Cronenfly » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:29 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:Zentropa was released previously on VHS by Touchstone.

It's possible that this is now a Genius Products license (i.e. the Weinsteins took the rights with them from BV/Miramax when they jumped ship): they are featured as a licensee on the Breathless Criterion (which I know that GP acquired from Wellspring, but still). That said, though, it's hard to know the rights situation, and it's entirely possible that its either still with Touchstone/Miramax/Buena Vista, or that the rights have reverted to von Trier et al. Only time will tell, I suppose.

FilmFanSea

#1044 Post by FilmFanSea » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:46 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:Zentropa was released previously on VHS by Touchstone.

Buena Vista (or one of its subsidiaries) was set to release Zentropa on DVD in April 2003. The release was cancelled because they discovered that they no longer held the rights, IIRC.

Cronenfly

#1045 Post by Cronenfly » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:53 pm

FilmFanSea wrote:

Buena Vista (or one of its subsidiaries) was set to release Zentropa on DVD in April 2003. The release was cancelled because they discovered that they no longer held the rights, IIRC.
Good to know. This makes an independent licensee almost a definite.

jaredsap

#1046 Post by jaredsap » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:25 pm

Anyone think THE IDIOTS might also be on the way? It's never gotten a R1 release, so a Criterion berth seems a decent possibility.

Narshty

#1047 Post by Narshty » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:07 pm

Cronenfly wrote:

It's possible that this is now a Genius Products license (i.e. the Weinsteins took the rights with them from BV/Miramax when they jumped ship): they are featured as a licensee on the Breathless Criterion (which I know that GP acquired from Wellspring, but still). That said, though, it's hard to know the rights situation, and it's entirely possible that its either still with Touchstone/Miramax/Buena Vista, or that the rights have reverted to von Trier et al. Only time will tell, I suppose.
The Genius Products logo may appear simply because Breathless was originally a Wellspring licenced property, and the Weinsteins have since taken them over (or whatever it's called nowadays). It may just be honoring an old deal with a new logo rather than a direct licence from the Weinsteins. Though it would be fantastic to see Criterion handle a couple of the Samuel Bronston/Anthony Mann epics.

justeleblanc

#1048 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:23 pm

Narshty wrote:The Genius Products logo may appear simply because Breathless was originally a Wellspring licenced property, and the Weinsteins have since taken them over (or whatever it's called nowadays). It may just be honoring an old deal with a new logo rather than a direct licence from the Weinsteins. Though it would be fantastic to see Criterion handle a couple of the Samuel Bronston/Anthony Mann epics.
The Bronston/Mann pics will be released on the "Miriam Collection" label from Weinstein.

Jeff

#1049 Post by Jeff » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:35 pm

Buttery Jeb wrote:More news from the Film Forum schedule for late '07: new 35mm restorations from Janus Films of Albert Lamorisse's "The Red Balloon" and "White Mane." The two films run as one double feature, opening November 16th.
The same double feature is playing at The Starz FilmCenter in Denver December 21-27. I expect we'll see a Albert Lamorisse disc with these two films timed to tie in with the release of Hou's Flight of the Red Balloon.

miless

#1050 Post by miless » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:40 pm

Jeff wrote:I expect we'll see a Albert Lamorisse disc with these two films timed to tie in with the release of Hou's Flight of the Red Balloon.
Maybe they'll even release Hou's film...