Criterion Random Speculation Vol.4

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
DrunkenGaijin

#976 Post by DrunkenGaijin » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:52 pm

Seeing Wenders in the collection would be incredible. There is a surprising lack of his films readily available, or maybe I'm blind...

Napier

#977 Post by Napier » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:54 pm

Wenders is in the collection. Tokyo-Ga.

kaujot

#978 Post by kaujot » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:34 pm

Who owns "Kings of the Road?"

perkizitore

#979 Post by perkizitore » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:36 pm

I wonder when The Saragossa Manuscript is going to be released from Criterion.Years have passed since the Image edition.

Murdoch

#980 Post by Murdoch » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:37 pm

Napier wrote:Wenders is in the collection. Tokyo-Ga.
But only as a supplement on an Ozu disc, it would be great to see one of his released. If they do release Wings I hope the cover is in a similar style to that of the MGM disc.

perkizitore

#981 Post by perkizitore » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:46 pm

It should be Alice In The Cities. It is already been released in the UK.

Napier

#982 Post by Napier » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:56 pm

Murdoch wrote:
Napier wrote:Wenders is in the collection. Tokyo-Ga.
But only as a supplement on an Ozu disc, it would be great to see one of his released. If they do release Wings I hope the cover is in a similar style to that of the MGM disc.

But none the less, a Wenders film, in, the, collection.

justeleblanc

#983 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:57 pm

There were just a whole slew of Wenders titles announced in R2. I can foresee Criterion doing an Eclipse box of early Wenders, but I don't know if other distributors already are preparing to release these.

Harmonov

#984 Post by Harmonov » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:30 pm

How about Wenders' Until the End of the World? Isn't there a 6-hour director's cut of that film? I heard that it played at Walter Reade a few years back as well as a few other places I'm sure.

Paris, Texas would be fabulous as well. Harry Dean Stanton is the mayor.

Jeff

#985 Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:33 pm

If Anchor Bay hadn't already included The Wrong Move in one of their sets, I would say that a "Wim Wender's Road Movie Trilogy" would be a likely Eclipse set. As it is, I could see Alice in the Cities and Kings of the Road being released on their own. I've no idea who holds the U.S. rights though.

aox

#986 Post by aox » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:20 pm

There's no chance that Antonioni's "Blow-Up" would ever get a Criterion treatment, right? It's owned by Warner Brothers.

ellipsis7

#987 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:51 pm

re. BLOW-UP...

To give it it's due, Warner have released it in R1US & R2UK, the latter being the better transfer (see Beaver comparison) both including very decent Peter Brunette commentary & isolated music track plus 3 language dubbs...

Just looking at Maryon Park, Charlton, London (where the crucial scenes were shot) on Google Maps satellite image - fascinating...

kaujot

#988 Post by kaujot » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:06 pm

aox wrote:There's no chance that Antonioni's "Blow-Up" would ever get a Criterion treatment, right? It's owned by Warner Brothers.
Right. Though I thought I heard somewhere that WB would be re-releasing it sometime in the near future.

HerrSchreck

#989 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:33 pm

DrunkenGaijin wrote:Seeing Wenders in the collection would be incredible. There is a surprising lack of his films readily available, or maybe I'm blind...
Who is this avatar? Is this a very young Fassbinder? I used to actually (dont laugh) think that was the man behind poster Jean Luc Garbo.

Color me oblivious.

zedz

#990 Post by zedz » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:01 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:Who is this avatar? Is this a very young Fassbinder?
Yep.
I used to actually (dont laugh) think that was the man behind poster Jean Luc Garbo.
!! Not laughing, but I'm afraid I've got to break some bad news to you regarding skuhn8. . .

Wittsdream

#991 Post by Wittsdream » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:20 am

Gigi M. wrote:El Sur is a better a film than Beehive. An absolute masterpiece of a film.
Absolutely concur with this assessment of El Sur. Erice's mise-en-scene is breathtaking. Had the chance to watch it again tonight (w/English subs), and came away from this viewing with the sense that I've seen one of the most organic displays of storytelling ever committed to film.

Not sure if there's ever been a filmmaker that so eloquently renders the experience of childhood, and the forebodement of the adult world quite like Erice (Tarkovsky is certainly a contender and Loach is perhaps more politically committed).

HerrSchreck

#992 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:57 am

zedz wrote:
HerrSchreck wrote:Who is this avatar? Is this a very young Fassbinder?
Yep.
I used to actually (dont laugh) think that was the man behind poster Jean Luc Garbo.
!! Not laughing, but I'm afraid I've got to break some bad news to you regarding skuhn8. . .
Skuhn8 is Lilian Gish, and I will not entertain any other theories or ideas.

His previous avatar of the DVDVerdict dude was the best avatar on the forum.. period. Ever.

davebert

#993 Post by davebert » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:05 am

Not sure where to post this, but I have it from an inside source that Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire are stone cold confirmed for Criterions, which would explain why the Wings of Desire disc went OOP a short while ago. Dunno if anyone already posted this, but there's your Wenders.

What A Disgrace

#994 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:27 am

I hope Criterion manages to secure this film as a special feature for Wings of Desire. Sort of seems like a no brainer.

I also hope Criterion can secure more than these two Wenders films. I'm not a huge fan of his work, but for Pete's sake, what do I have to do to see Kings of the Road? I was about sold on the upcoming R2, when this happened, and now I'm convinced there may be a Criterion release somewhere down the road.

sidehacker

#995 Post by sidehacker » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:00 am

I thought Anchor Bay had the rights to Kings of the Road but they were a bit busy preparing their 15th release of The Evil Dead.

Cronenfly

#996 Post by Cronenfly » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:01 am

davebert wrote:Not sure where to post this, but I have it from an inside source that Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire are stone cold confirmed for Criterions, which would explain why the Wings of Desire disc went OOP a short while ago. Dunno if anyone already posted this, but there's your Wenders.
Color me dead wrong.

justeleblanc

#997 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:56 am

More Peter Falk in the collection!

Jeff

#998 Post by Jeff » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:21 pm

davebert wrote:Not sure where to post this, but I have it from an inside source that Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire are stone cold confirmed for Criterions, which would explain why the Wings of Desire disc went OOP a short while ago. Dunno if anyone already posted this, but there's your Wenders.
I'm surprised to see Criterion tackling those since they were already available with commentary tracks, deleted scenes, etc. Does Wenders hold the copyright to his films like his buddy Jarmusch does? It certainly seems that way since his production company is generally the only credited copyright holder. I wonder if he produces and owns his own supplements as well. If that's the case, the commentary tracks and other features from the studio-produced versions of Wings and Paris could be ported to the Criterions. The Big C is going to really have to knock my socks off with these packages if they want to convince me that it's worth paying three times what I did for the original releases to upgrade them.

colinr0380

#999 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:24 pm

What about a big boxset including both Wings of Desire and Faraway, So Close? That would satisfy the requests for both more Wenders and extra Peter Falk!

Not to mention finally introoducing Mikhail Gorbachev into the Criterion Collection (maybe they could get him to do an introduction to the film?) :wink:

EDIT: Forget it, looks like Faraway is held by Sony :cry:

justeleblanc

#1000 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:04 pm

colinr0380 wrote:What about a big boxset including both Wings of Desire and Faraway, So Close? That would satisfy the requests for both more Wenders and extra Peter Falk!

Not to mention finally introoducing Mikhail Gorbachev into the Criterion Collection (maybe they could get him to do an introduction to the film?) :wink:

EDIT: Forget it, looks like Faraway is held by Sony :cry:
I still dont understand the relationship between MGM and Sony. Aren't they now the same company?