Criterion at ATP

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
flyonthewall2983

Re: Criterion at ATP

#101 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:16 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:I'd put money down on Quadrophenia
Me too, in a heartbeat. It would be a total blind buy, but if it has a decent amount of special features (hopefully including Daltrey and Townshend) you wouldn't have to convince me to get it. Quadrophenia is such a great and for me personal album, and from what I've heard about the movie it's pretty much the opposite of that awful film adaptation of Tommy.

med

#102 Post by med » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:19 pm

Man, I love Ken Russell's Tommy.

Roger Ryan

#103 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:44 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
matrixschmatrix wrote:I'd put money down on Quadrophenia
Me too, in a heartbeat. It would be a total blind buy, but if it has a decent amount of special features (hopefully including Daltrey and Townshend) you wouldn't have to convince me to get it. Quadrophenia is such a great and for me personal album, and from what I've heard about the movie it's pretty much the opposite of that awful film adaptation of Tommy.
QUADROPHENIA the film is indeed the opposite of the TOMMY film, but it is really only inspired by the Who's album. In other words, the film has a completely different feel than what you get from listening to the album it's based on. Roddam's fairly low-key effort evokes BRIGHTON ROCK and some of the "angry young man" films Britain produced in the early 60s. The film and album are far less related in my mind than what was done with TOMMY.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#104 Post by Drucker » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:05 pm

In addition, and perhaps most importantly: it's not an opera. Tommy was a movie-opera...everything sung...and of course not even the original songs but mostly horrible renditions sung by Elton John, Tina Turner, and others.

Quadrophenia is an exceptional coming-of-age movie and only uses a few of the songs from the album as a backdrop soundtrack. While I personally think this is where the band starts their downward spiral in terms of musical quality, the movie is excellent. Looking up to a hero and being disappointed, wanting a girl more than she likes you, realizing all of your friends are full of shit and that you kinda have been living a lie, fighting with parents, personality fluctuations...it's all present and a very rewarding movie. If that seems like standard coming-of-age fodder...it's actually delivered really well, and the scenes with Sting are particularly good. I haven't watched it in years, and had a VHS of it when I was in high school. Looking forward to this one coming out for sure.

flyonthewall2983

#105 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:26 pm

I have to say I'm not too surprised at this, since there has been general interest in revisiting the project by the band. Their last public performance was a rendition of the album with extra musicians and special guests (like Eddie Vedder playing the Godfather character). A box set is coming out next month of the original album including demos, essays and a DVD with selected tracks mixed in 5.1 (no idea why the whole album wasn't mixed).

I'm guessing Criterion knows this and thinks it would be a perfect opportunity for a release.

bainbridgezu

#106 Post by bainbridgezu » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:10 pm

I saw Quadrophenia for the first time when it went up on Hulu, my prior awareness of it being "that other Who movie," and was really blown away by how great it is. Roger Ryan's "low-key" assessment is dead-on for why the film works so well: Roddam's direction is strong without ever calling attention to itself (much like the film, which feels incredibly natural for being a musically-driven period piece). He seems to understand that the strength of the material and talent of his cast is enough to drive the picture without too much interference; yet he clearly maintains a proper command of the proceedings, evident in the care taken with potentially "out-of-control" scenes such as the house party and rumble at the pier. Phil Daniels does great work here with a character that could easily have been grating in a lesser context, his performance matching the film's success in elevating the "woe-is-me" teenage archetype through a grand balance between the language of popular culture and the existential miseries which Drucker noted. Ray Winstone's performance is also wonderful: in addition to his usual charm and swagger, he manages to be genuinely affecting in his small role (and as someone who loves Jarman's Jubilee without cavaet, I appreciated Toyah Wilcox's presence as well). Hopefully Criterion's upcoming release of the film will lead more people to discover it, and encourage more of those who already have to share their thoughts.

DDillaman

#107 Post by DDillaman » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:16 am

Gary Gnu wrote:Not much a fan of Neutral Milk Hotel? I actually haven't heard any of his solo work. Is his voice still really pitchy?

Anyway, jealous you got to see Swans and Deerhoof
Actually quite a big fan of NMH. But the uber-fans scare me and sometimes, you just have to troll. His voice has smoothed out slightly, but if you didn't like it before it's hardly a sea change, and there is next to no solo work - it was just songs from the first two albums acoustic, by and large. Still, it was beautiful, and I'm glad that he's come back to the world of live performance.

Swans may have been the best show of my life. Deerhoof were pretty great (as they reliably are).

Gary Gnu

#108 Post by Gary Gnu » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:33 am

DDillaman wrote:Actually quite a big fan of NMH. But the uber-fans scare me and sometimes, you just have to troll. His voice has smoothed out slightly, but if you didn't like it before it's hardly a sea change, and there is next to no solo work - it was just songs from the first two albums acoustic, by and large. Still, it was beautiful, and I'm glad that he's come back to the world of live performance.

Swans may have been the best show of my life. Deerhoof were pretty great (as they reliably are).
Great to hear about Swans and Deerhoof. I actually really love NMH, and enjoyed Mangum's pitchy voice. My favorite band is The Flaming Lips, so I'm not one to complain about imperfect voices. I think it adds a great deal of charm to the music. (Hopefully Mangum's voice hasn't cleared up too much.) I'm actually hoping that with this upcoming boxset will come new material from the band.

Anyway, the line-up sounded absolutely amazing. You didn't mention that Godspeed You! Black Emperor was there! *Sigh* I was better off not knowing that. :)

Emak-Bakia

#109 Post by Emak-Bakia » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:27 am

Gary Gnu wrote:I'm actually hoping that with this upcoming boxset will come new material from the band.

Anyway, the line-up sounded absolutely amazing. You didn't mention that Godspeed You! Black Emperor was there! *Sigh* I was better off not knowing that. :)
There was a poster and some cards at the festival advertising the set, and I noticed that they all said "Boxset No. 1." I asked Jeff if this means that there will be a #2, and his wife quickly said that, presumebly, yes, there will be, though it won't necessarilly be Neutral Milk Hotel material. So, maybe material from Jeff in some other configuration? Or maybe some other Elephant Six related stuff?

Also, I'm sorry to say that GY!BE actually wasn't there, though three of the members were there with Silver Mt. Zion.

Gary Gnu

#110 Post by Gary Gnu » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:48 am

MistaSparkle wrote:There was a poster and some cards at the festival advertising the set, and I noticed that they all said "Boxset No. 1." I asked Jeff if this means that there will be a #2, and his wife quickly said that, presumebly, yes, there will be, though it won't necessarilly be Neutral Milk Hotel material. So, maybe material from Jeff in some other configuration? Or maybe some other Elephant Six related stuff?

Also, I'm sorry to say that GY!BE actually wasn't there, though three of the members were there with Silver Mt. Zion.
Awesome about the probable 2nd box!

I was thinking of I'll Be Your Mirror back in July. My bad. :) Now, I know what October's line-up was; and it was such an amazing one. Shellac, The Pop Group, Battles; all that good stuff. Still, I may have been more excited to see Being John Malkovich. (Was it a new print?) That probably would have been the highlight of my time there. (Had Tyondai stayed with Battles, that show would have been my highlight.) :D

richast2

#111 Post by richast2 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:20 pm

DDillaman wrote:TFUL282 were doing a reunion show - think they've done a couple, but no bigger plans.
For those who are interested, NPR has a recording of the TFUL show up on their website

DDillaman

#112 Post by DDillaman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:12 am

I was thinking of I'll Be Your Mirror back in July. My bad. :) Now, I know what October's line-up was; and it was such an amazing one. Shellac, The Pop Group, Battles; all that good stuff. Still, I may have been more excited to see Being John Malkovich. (Was it a new print?) That probably would have been the highlight of my time there. (Had Tyondai stayed with Battles, that show would have been my highlight.) :D[/quote]

The Pop Group was great. As was Shellac. (Skipped Battles; not a fan.) And Jeff's voice isn't THAT different - just a bit clearer, probably not discernable to a casual fan.

All the Criterion screenings, I believe, were off HD, not film, so I assume BJM would have been from such a setting. I skipped on the grounds that I just saw it in the theater ... and then I realized I was thinking of when I saw it in 1998. Old, I am getting.

Gary Gnu

#113 Post by Gary Gnu » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:21 am

Well, thanks for rubbing it in about The Pop Group and Shellac! (I want new material, Albini!!) :)
I heard Mangum play at Occupy Wall Street. I agree with you. The difference is negligible. Now, I'd really like to hear some new NMH material. I don't think that creative mind of his has diminished over the years.

I saw BJM, like 10 years ago, too. I don't think I've seen it since. I might as well wait now for the Criterion DVD. I remember really liking it, and I remembered liking it upon seeing Synedoche, New York. :)

Doctor Sunshine

#114 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:07 am

So, did Straw Dogs end up being Criterion's closer? Google tells me nothing.

DDillaman

#115 Post by DDillaman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:36 pm

There were schedules on site that claimed that STRAW DOGS would indeed be the closer; I wasn't personally there for it, so can't confirm.

Doctor Sunshine

#116 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:28 pm

Curiosity sated. Thank you.

Minkin

#117 Post by Minkin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:58 pm

ATP Festival is this weekend.

Looks like all of the mystery/future titles (that we usually get) will be revealed at the actual event. So we'll have to wait for those attending to report back, although there is one surprise (Kickstarter project that Criterion is supporting):
Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me (work in progess cut)
USA, 2012. Dir. Drew DeNicola. 105 minutes.
Click for: Trailer

While mainstream success eluded them, Big StarÕs three albums have become critically lauded touchstones of the rock music canon. A seminal band in the history of alternative music, Big Star has been cited as an influence by artists including REM, The Replacements, Belle & Sebastian, Elliot Smith and Flaming Lips, to name just a few. With never-before-seen footage and photos of the band, in-depth interviews and a rousing musical tribute by the bands they inspired, Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me is a story of artistic and musical salvation.
Here's the word about the mystery films:
Cinema at this year's ATP I'll Be Your Mirror will be presented by the Criterion Collection and will run for the entire weekend on the Queen Of Hearts, free of charge. Greg Dulli has chosen Dazed & Confused, The King Of Marvin Gardens, The Night Of The Hunter and Something Wild, with more films to be revealed at the event, and Criterion have chosen Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me, Eating Raoul, Harold & Maude, Lonesome, Quadrophenia and The Royal Tenenbaums, again with more films to be revealed at the event.
Edit-

Also looks like there will just be three mystery films announced at the event.

DDillaman

#118 Post by DDillaman » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:28 pm

THE KILLER, THIS IS SPINAL TAP, and BRAZIL are the three "mystery" films.

criterion10

#119 Post by criterion10 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:39 pm

DDillaman wrote:THE KILLER, THIS IS SPINAL TAP, and BRAZIL are the three "mystery" films.
Pardon my ignorance, but does this mean there is actually a chance that The Killer and This Is Spinal Tap may actually be coming back to the collection?

knives

#120 Post by knives » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:44 pm

No. They've highlighted films they don't have the rights to at ATP a couple of times previously.

duck duck

#121 Post by duck duck » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:00 pm

I would actually guess a slight chance... Haven't there been surprise films at festivals that Criterion did release?
Like last year's Quadraphina and I think Malkavich was first at a similar thing.
They tend to pick a music thing that they don't have the rights to like The Year Punk Broke, or the electronic music thing from last year.
So, I wouldn't count on the work in progress film as being Criterion.
Unless, MIramax has given up on the Dragon Dynasty line, I would go with Spinal Tap.
If you have heard the commentary for Spinal Tap, they have to be those characters every few years of they loose
the rights to everything. I could think it possible for them to do a quick intro or something and have MGM and Criterion
combine everything for a BLU edition of This Is Spinal Tap. There is still "Break like the Wind" that could be tacked on.