Criterion and Warner Bros.

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
Feego

Re: Criterion and Warner Bros.

#726 Post by Feego » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:28 am

A little off-topic, but Warner Brothers will happily release a movie that contains actual coprophagy, but won't release The Devils?

Big Ben

#727 Post by Big Ben » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:23 pm

Feego wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:28 am
A little off-topic, but Warner Brothers will happily release a movie that contains actual coprophagy, but won't release The Devils?
I have never, ever received an actual concrete reason as to why Warner Brothers won't put it out. Even the man who joined it at the hip, Mark Kermode has never really given an explanation. All I ever hear are rumors that one particular executive faints on his couch whenever it's mentioned and doesn't want it released.

jedgeco

#728 Post by jedgeco » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:18 am

The Devils is almost 50 years old, and pretty tame by contemporary standards; I find it hard to believe that there is anyone at Warner Bros.--or their new bosses at AT&T--who gives a shit about The Devils.

Which is probably the problem: Warner's catalog contains about a billion movies, a lot of which would make money, so nobody gives a shit about The Devils.

MichaelB

#729 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:55 am

Criterion would put it out in a heartbeat, and I’d be astonished if they hadn’t made enquiries.

knives

#730 Post by knives » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:40 pm

Not to mention all the hoops the BFI went through with their edition. Clearly there is somebody who has feelings about the film.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#731 Post by Drucker » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:46 pm

And regards to the "lots of films make money in their catalog", I think it's pretty clear that horror films sell better than any other genre on home video, and a deluxe edition of a film that's 1) amazing 2) been suppressed since release would certainly sell better than any other home video release.

movielocke

#732 Post by movielocke » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:19 pm

Drucker wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:46 pm
And regards to the "lots of films make money in their catalog", I think it's pretty clear that horror films sell better than any other genre on home video, and a deluxe edition of a film that's 1) amazing 2) been suppressed since release would certainly sell better than any other home video release.
not necessarily, if it's been suppressed, knowledge of such a commodity is necessarily limited to highly informed consumers who are aware of the existence of the commodity and who also have fetishized suppressed commodities as being inherently of high value. Now this can manifest as a fetish for cuban cigars and be extremely well known and successful, but it doesn't necessarily mean that level of success will apply on the scale of a single film in one country being suppressed.

It would probably sell well, but it's not going to sell as well as something like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which is probably criterion's gold standard for sales levels.

Werewolf by Night

#733 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:31 pm

movielocke wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:19 pm
it's not going to sell as well as something like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which is probably criterion's gold standard for sales levels
For their Gen-X audience maybe. I would have thought the beloved-by-Boomers Monterey Pop was their top seller given how many times it's been repackaged. But surely The Devils would sell better than something like The Breaking Point (to name a recent release licensed from Warner Bros.)

MichaelB

#734 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:19 pm

Of course it would - the BFI's DVD was one of their bestselling titles.

And that's in a country where the full British theatrical cut has been available in some form or other for decades - 35mm, VHS, television airings, you name it.

By contrast, even that version has never been commercially released in the US to my knowledge - Warner Bros cut it to ribbons back in 1971, with shot substitutions making the cuts more severe than a crude running-time comparison might suggest. For a US label to get hold of the rights to distribute even the British theatrical cut, never mind the 2004 semi-restoration, would be a major coup, especially on Blu-ray - and there's no way on God's green earth that Criterion isn't fully aware of this.

FrauBlucher

#735 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:52 pm

According to some at HTF the 1936 Showboat DVD has gone OOP.

flyonthewall2983

#736 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:25 pm

So what of this deal now?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#737 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:27 pm

I imagine any films already licensed will remain licensed for whatever the terms are, including ones we don't know about yet. Beyond that, I don't think anyone knows. Since licensing brings in money with limited expenditure for the parent company, it seems plausible that AT&T would be okay with them continuing

albucat

#738 Post by albucat » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:29 pm

Warner Bros. is too complicated an entity to assume that the Filmstruck folks had much to do with the people who license DVDs. They might be, but just as likely they're completely distinct groups. Like a lot else having to do with Filmstruck's demise, we're left to speculate.

Big Ben

#739 Post by Big Ben » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:01 pm

Maybe they can finally get The Devils out now.

FrauBlucher

#740 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:41 pm

AT&T has to honor any existing deals. Hopefully, they will see the benefit of continued licensing to Criterion and maybe it opens them up to other boutiques.

I think more of an issue is WAC and whether their continued film preservation will survive. The question is will they want to keep paying for restorations.