Criterion and Warner Bros.

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
captveg

Re: Criterion and Warner Bros.

#851 Post by captveg » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:22 pm

Hindsight is 20/20, but Malcolm X probably should have been on more of our radars for WB licensed titles. My favorite Spike Lee film, so I'm quite glad to see it announced.

ryannichols7

#852 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:24 pm

I'm really glad they went with that instead of some of the other Lee films rumored. that really flew under our radar but makes a ton of sense.

Eyes Wide Shut in December if we're staying in the 90s?

DimitriL

#853 Post by DimitriL » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:13 pm

I’m kinda delighted that we got a high-profile title that no one expected. Seems like so many of the big titles in recent years were known quantities for ages, and I love a surprise now and then.

ryannichols7

#854 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:25 pm

it's a much better November title than Pat Garrett which was my initial fear (nothing against the movie, but it doesn't scream "November title" like Malcolm X or some of the other speculated titles do)

with Kong and presumably Casablanca (which WB should be announcing for November any day now...) out of the picture, I remain curious what's coming next. Dog Day Afternoon almost certainly has to be one, and hopefully it's a 4K too. most of the recent Warner licenses have been, the bizarre Pink Flamingos omission aside

Finch

#855 Post by Finch » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:27 pm

I imagine they did the math on the Waters titles and figured even Pink Flamingos wouldn't shift enough units in 4k. They might of course reconsider if the Blu-Ray is selling like hotcakes. I still think the most likely UHD upgrade is Hairspray if Warners lets them have it.

ryannichols7

#856 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:32 pm

I think they would, and that would be a good bet

I personally would imagine Pink Flamingos to be a bigger title than Devil in a Blue Dress but what do I know I guess. PF was sold out at several Barnes and Noble stores near me in July, yet they had plentiful amounts of the Franklin film

Quote Perf Unquote

#857 Post by Quote Perf Unquote » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:51 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:25 pm
it's a much better November title than Pat Garrett which was my initial fear (nothing against the movie, but it doesn't scream "November title"
I don't understand this... who' s gonna consider what month a film was released a year from now, or ever? Is there something unusual about their November releases in years past?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#858 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:54 pm

Well, it's their big sale month just before Christmas, so it's usually pretty stacked

Finch

#859 Post by Finch » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:00 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:32 pm
I personally would imagine Pink Flamingos to be a bigger title than Devil in a Blue Dress but what do I know I guess. PF was sold out at several Barnes and Noble stores near me in July, yet they had plentiful amounts of the Franklin film
I don't like both films enough to want to own either but if forced, I'd have chosen Pink Flamingos over Devil in a Blue Dress myself.

ryannichols7

#860 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:02 pm

swo17 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:54 pm
Well, it's their big sale month just before Christmas, so it's usually pretty stacked
correct, usually saved for "bigger" titles (look at the November 2018 slate if you must know) which I don't think that is, nearly as much

I'd also pick Pink Flamingos but neither are for me as well

Quote Perf Unquote

#861 Post by Quote Perf Unquote » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:22 pm

Oh, I see, simple economics and hype. I thought maybe there was some seasonal theme I was missing, like Thanksgiving or I Hate America month. I'll take "Pat Garrett" whenever they want to release it, regardless. "Pink Flamingos" works for any holiday, so no problems there either.

Computer Raheem

#862 Post by Computer Raheem » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:58 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:25 pm
it's a much better November title than Pat Garrett which was my initial fear (nothing against the movie, but it doesn't scream "November title" like Malcolm X or some of the other speculated titles do)
I'm surprised that people thought that Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid would be coming out this year. The film turns 50 next year, so I just assumed that Criterion would release it then to take advantage of any anniversary retrospectives (not to mention any renewed interest from an inevitable soundtrack re-release)

captveg

#863 Post by captveg » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:14 pm

I wonder if Network would be a title Criterion could have grabbed from Warner to do a UHD/BD combo, as that seems less like the type of title WB would be quick to prioritize for 4K UHD themselves.

movielocke

#864 Post by movielocke » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:20 pm

Americanization of Emily strikes me as a very criterion friendly title.

crimlaw

#865 Post by crimlaw » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:05 pm

Network was released by Arrow in the UK, so it’s possibly a Criterion title.

FrauBlucher

#866 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:13 pm

Computer Raheem wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:58 pm
I'm surprised that people thought that Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid would be coming out this year. The film turns 50 next year, so I just assumed that Criterion would release it then to take advantage of any anniversary retrospectives (not to mention any renewed interest from an inevitable soundtrack re-release)
Early this year Alex Cox during a Q&A said Criterion is working on this for a release later in the year. Criterion doesn't really use anniversaries to target releases the way Warners does

FrauBlucher

#867 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:38 am

From George Feltenstein q&a on the HTF, nothing specific about Criterion except he says Criterion is like family. So, I guess that’s a good thing. He did say “more surprises” to come- classics and contemporary- so that we have to look forward to.

He was asked about the Captain Blood silent film. He said nothing happening there but quickly pivoted to the 1935 version saying it’s being worked on but gave no more info. So, some suggested his lack of info means it will be released by Criterion. Not a surprise as this was already expected years ago due to the OOP WB list that came out.

Just my guess on surprises- The Maltese Falcon and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre as possible UHD upgrades

Finch

#868 Post by Finch » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:42 am

The ultimate surprise would be Peter Becker prying The Devils from WB's hands. If someone at WB could help making that happen, it'd be George and it'd be the sort of thing they'd keep quiet about until a release has been officially signed off by the head honchos. At this point, I'd even take a Blu-Ray with a 2k or 4k scan of the UK theatrical cut. But if they did get The Devils, they'd be negligent not to get Mark Kermode involved with the supplements.

Okay, so back in the real world: the Hustons Frau Blucher mentions are decent guesses, and if we're talking Bogart and auteurs, we could throw The Big Sleep into the mix, too. If they really wanted to make a big splash with their first Golden Age UHD title from Warner, I can't think of a better choice than Adventures of Robin Hood. Errol Flynn, Michael Curtiz and 3 strip Technicolor. That'd be even more commercially viable than the Hustons and the Hawks, surely. WB let them have Asphalt Jungle on BD so that could be upgraded, ditto Mildred Pierce. Another catalogue title that could shift copies on UHD might be White Heat.

Would be useful to have numbers on how Double Indemnity sold since the spring.

FrauBlucher

#869 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:34 am

I think The Adventures of Robin Hood WB would keep for themselves. But The Roaring Twenties is another rumored title that could also end up in the UHD format.

dwk

#870 Post by dwk » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:10 pm

Finch wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:42 am
The ultimate surprise would be Peter Becker prying The Devils from WB's hands. If someone at WB could help making that happen, it'd be George and it'd be the sort of thing they'd keep quiet about until a release has been officially signed off by the head honchos. At this point, I'd even take a Blu-Ray with a 2k or 4k scan of the UK theatrical cut. But if they did get The Devils, they'd be negligent not to get Mark Kermode involved with the supplements.
I know that Feltenstein has been asked about The Devils many times and his answers are never promising. Although Peter Becker did give a comment to some French outlet a few years back about The Devils and he seemed to indicate that WB was becoming more willing to license it out, but that it would be a matter of money.

yoloswegmaster

#871 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:34 pm

I wonder if the the absence of Eyes Wide Shut, Boogie Nights, and The Wild Bunch on the mega 4K boxset from WB is because it's been licensed to Criterion. This is speculation or course, but I can't think of any reason for either of these titles to be excluded from the boxset.

What A Disgrace

#872 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:03 pm

Citizen Kane was also licensed to Criterion, and it's in the box. The reason they aren't in the box likely has more to do with the fact that the box set is a haphazardly hobbled together collection of movies.

Matt

#873 Post by Matt » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:15 pm

It’s a collection for people to give to others (probably family members) for the holidays, they’re not going to include movies with full frontal nudity in them and a notoriously violent western.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#874 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:25 pm

Other than A Clockwork Orange (which I did once awkwardly receive as a Christmas present!)

yoloswegmaster

#875 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:32 pm

Matt wrote: It’s a collection for people to give to others (probably family members) for the holidays, they’re not going to include movies with full frontal nudity in them and a notoriously violent western.
That explains why family-friendly films such as A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, The Exorcist and IT are included.