'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.2

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
HarryLong

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.2

#1876 Post by HarryLong » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:52 am

MyNameCriterionForum wrote:"Island" has been more or less assumed for a while now, has it not?
Somehow I missed that assumption. I think my head's getting ready to explode, too...

panicprevention

#1877 Post by panicprevention » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:17 am

Island has been years in the making =D> Now if only The Devils would come out of indefinite limbo as well.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#1878 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:52 pm

panicprevention wrote:Island has been years in the making =D> Now if only The Devils would come out of indefinite limbo as well.
I'm excited to see Island as Schreck has mentioned it as a favorite. Considering his praise for City of the Dead, I'd say it's worth a look. More horror in CC is always a good thing. I hope that they can get James Harvey or Scott Eyman for the Lubitsch disc. I keep having the dream that WB finally releases Devils uncut with extras, but tells nobody about it and sticks it on the Archives dump.

zedz

#1879 Post by zedz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:39 pm

So I take it that the Cooper box with Design for Living is out of print? If so, people should try to track it down for the sake of the bizarre masterpiece Peter Ibbetson, which would probably get my vote for strangest Hollywood movie of the 1930s. If that's now up for grabs I'd love Criterion to get their hands on it, what with those Cocteaus slipping out of their fingers.

triodelover

#1880 Post by triodelover » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:49 pm

zedz wrote:So I take it that the Cooper box with Design for Living is out of print? If so, people should try to track it down for the sake of the bizarre masterpiece Peter Ibbetson, which would probably get my vote for strangest Hollywood movie of the 1930s. If that's now up for grabs I'd love Criterion to get their hands on it, what with those Cocteaus slipping out of their fingers.
I would agree that Peter Ibbetson is strange. Despite Buñuel's endorsement, I've never been able to warm to it. Part of that is I think Cooper is miscast. The other part is that I tend to have allergic reactions to heavy servings of the supernatural. 8-[ Design for Living, on the other hand, is fabulous Lubitsch and I would love to see it get the Criterion treatment.

Svevan

#1881 Post by Svevan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:56 pm

The box is still in print and available online, for the time being - I have the Marlene Dietrich counterpart, and though it's true that they're fairly ugly sets, the wealth of films for $20 or less is beyond worth it.

panicprevention

#1882 Post by panicprevention » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:25 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:I keep having the dream that WB finally releases Devils uncut with extras, but tells nobody about it and sticks it on the Archives dump.
Remember when they actually had a release date set, and a DVD cover to tease us with? And then they pulled the rug out from under us #-o

I never thought The African Queen would finally be hitting the market next month, so hey, maybe I should actually have hope for Devils, someday!

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#1883 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:59 pm

Another tidbit of classic Hollywood in the collection. Looks like there may be a possibility of Fritz Lang's "Ministry of Fear". I've wanted to see it for years but always manage to miss the TCM showings. Very excited to see some American Lang in the collection.

Gregory

#1884 Post by Gregory » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:12 pm

Svevan wrote:The box is still in print and available online, for the time being - I have the Marlene Dietrich counterpart, and though it's true that they're fairly ugly sets, the wealth of films for $20 or less is beyond worth it.
It's currently part of a Universal sale at DD, for $14 and change. My advice to anyone who doesn't have it yet: jump on it. Easily worth that price for Peter Ibbetson alone.
The film has quite an unusual vibe for '30s Hollywood, and the cinematography is unearthly

Edited to add link
Last edited by Gregory on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Feego

#1885 Post by Feego » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:23 pm

Just here to put in another good word for Peter Ibbetsson. I had never heard of it before buying the set, but it was delightfully strange and rewarding (although I agree about Cooper being miscast).

I'm always glad to see more Lubitsch in the collection, although I have to say Design for Living is probably my least favorite of his work that I've seen. I find it somewhat static, and it lacks the style, verbal wit, and breezy pace of masterpieces like Trouble in Paradise and The Merry Widow (how I wish this film could make it in the collection). Still, any Lubitsch is better than no Lubitsch.

knives

#1886 Post by knives » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:00 pm

Feego wrote:The Merry Widow (how I wish this film could make it in the collection). Still, any Lubitsch is better than no Lubitsch.
If they could tie it in with von Stroheim's
version I think I'd explode with joy. Warner's a bunch of wankers though so that will sadly never happen.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1887 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:39 am

And hey, Lives of a Bengal Lancer was one of Hitler's favorite films

Jean-Luc Garbo

#1888 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:58 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:Another tidbit of classic Hollywood in the collection. Looks like there may be a possibility of Fritz Lang's "Ministry of Fear". I've wanted to see it for years but always manage to miss the TCM showings. Very excited to see some American Lang in the collection.
Wow, I hope this comes to fruition. I've been dying to see this one for awhile now as I love Lang's work in the '40s.

Mikos Stenopolis

#1889 Post by Mikos Stenopolis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:14 pm

Didn't Fellini's Toby Dammit undergo a restoration in the last 2 years? any chance it'll show up on Criterion either as a specially low priced spine (a la patriotism, night and fog) or a special feature on any sort of possibly upcoming fellini release?

zedz

#1890 Post by zedz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:19 pm

Mikos Stenopolis wrote:Didn't Fellini's Toby Dammit undergo a restoration in the last 2 years? any chance it'll show up on Criterion either as a specially low priced spine (a la patriotism, night and fog) or a special feature on any sort of possibly upcoming fellini release?
It's one episode of a portmanteau film, so issuing it on its own as a standalone title would be asking for trouble. The other parts of Spirits of the Dead are by Malle (good, and I'm no Malle fan) and Vadim (negligible).

It's seems more likely to me that it would sneak out as an extra, but I don't know if there are any appropriate Fellinis left for this. Reissue (on Blu) of Juliet of the Spirits, anybody?

Personally, I'll hold out for my long-ago suggestion of an Eclipse set of 60s portmanteau films.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1891 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:22 pm

zedz wrote: Personally, I'll hold out for my long-ago suggestion of an Eclipse set of 60s portmanteau films.
Yes please-- the World's Greatest Swindles in my top five most desired titles. Someone's gotta put it out so why not the big boys

tojoed

#1892 Post by tojoed » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:39 pm

zedz wrote: It's [Toby Dammit] one episode of a portmanteau film, so issuing it on its own as a standalone title would be asking for trouble.
Maybe for Criterion, but Arrow Films are issuing it as a stand alone in the UK.

Mikos Stenopolis

#1893 Post by Mikos Stenopolis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:05 pm

I'd love to see a reissue of Nights of Cabiria as well

Murdoch

#1894 Post by Murdoch » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:30 pm

Mikos Stenopolis wrote:I'd love to see a reissue of Nights of Cabiria as well
Probably not happening since they lost the rights.

peerpee
not perpee

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vo

#1895 Post by peerpee » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:35 am

I hope Criterion have the gumption to not be influenced by the BAFTA and Cannes Jury Prize awarded to FISH TANK. It's an uninspiring, hollow film that can't hold a candle to the (French) films it aspires to. I really didn't like the film on a number of levels and I hope they pass on it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1896 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:42 am

I've got bad news for you

ianungstad

#1897 Post by ianungstad » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:21 pm

Not familar with the film but acording to this review of the Eureka disc, The R2 release of The Clouded Yellow was licensed from Janus films.

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.uk/c ... ntid=72319" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds like a fun little movie! Jean Simmons is always great to watch. Maybe Criterion will release it in a British thrillers Eclipse set?

Cinephrenic

#1898 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:46 pm

ianungstad wrote:Not familar with the film but acording to this review of the Eureka disc, The R2 release of The Clouded Yellow was licensed from Janus films.

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.uk/c ... ntid=72319" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds like a fun little movie! Jean Simmons is always great to watch. Maybe Criterion will release it in a British thrillers Eclipse set?
Interesting. Perhaps as a Arthouse Essential?

Harmonov

#1899 Post by Harmonov » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:46 pm

This is an April Fool's joke, yes?:

http://criterioncast.com/2010/04/01/cri ... -releases/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: It appears that this is the case per the first sentence of the page. Jesus H. Chrizzle, how did I miss that?

I was truly scared this was true.

RyanGallagher

#1900 Post by RyanGallagher » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:40 pm

You may not have missed it the first time around. We initially posted it as an April Fools Joke story without any indication of what it was. I added that Note From The Editor the day after, just so that people wouldn't mistake it for a true story.
Harmonov wrote:This is an April Fool's joke, yes?:

http://criterioncast.com/2010/04/01/cri ... -releases/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: It appears that this is the case per the first sentence of the page. Jesus H. Chrizzle, how did I miss that?

I was truly scared this was true.