Forthcoming: Polyester

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
DeprongMori

Re: Criterion and Warner Bros.

#1 Post by DeprongMori » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:20 am

dwk wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:51 pm
We can cross Pink Flamingos off the list of possible Criterion titles
Warner Brothers called me yesterday. They’re doing Pink Flamingos again. And who would’ve ever thought that Warner Brothers would distribute Pink Flamingos?
But... "Criterion’s doing Polyester next year".

So that's news.

Malickite

Re: Criterion and Warner Bros.

#2 Post by Malickite » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:28 am

Wonder if Criterion will include reproductions of the scratch-n-sniff cards.

Lowry_Sam

Re: Forthcoming: Polyester

#4 Post by Lowry_Sam » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:42 pm

the Baltimore-based filmmaker is hoping an updated version of his Odorama card will go along with it.
Since it's doubtful we'll get a multi aspect ratio edition a la On The Waterfront (ie. unrestored original theatrical release complete with scratches & washed out image & restored version in director's "intended" ratio), that's all I need to know for preordering. Would be nice if the Criterion store would sell extra card packs for hosting a Polyester party at your house.

Boosmahn

#5 Post by Boosmahn » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:30 pm

Does anyone know if the Odorama card is completely disgusting? Or only partly?

swo17

#6 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:35 pm

From IMDbShow
The ten smells on the gimmick Odorama scratch and sniff card featured in the film were- in the same chronological order as in the film and corresponding to the number on the scratch-and-smell card: 1. rose (i.e. a flower), 2. flatulence, 3. model airplane glue, 4. pizza, 5. gasoline from a can, 6. skunk, 7. natural gas from a gas oven, 8. leather upholstery in a new car, 9. dirty shoes (i.e. a pair of sneakers), 10. air freshener from an aerosol can.
So only like 60% unpleasant

Assuming these are one-time use only, it seems like Criterion could make a killing selling individual cards for $5-10 a pop

kuzine

#7 Post by kuzine » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:05 pm

Saw this in the cinema here a few years back with Odorama cards handed out before the screening and have to say that even the 40% quoted above that should smell pleasant did not at all to me (esp. 4 and 10). On the other hand I don't remember the others smelling that unpleasant given what I was expecting from the screen. Maybe the cards don't age well?

Saturnome

#8 Post by Saturnome » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:03 pm

swo17 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:35 pm
Assuming these are one-time use only, it seems like Criterion could make a killing selling individual cards for $5-10 a pop
Scratch 'n' sniff cards last a long time, you can scratch them out completely but with such unpleasant smells I doubt most people will. I have a 25 years old card that came with a video game (also mostly unpleasant stuff like sweat odor and such) doing just fine. And not that I'm against multiple cards included with the film, but a single card could do the trick, as you could scratch then pass the card along to other people while watching the film.

willoneill

#9 Post by willoneill » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:05 pm

I went to a screening of Polyester last year where they handed out used cards that were at least twenty years old. They still worked fine (in that they still smelled terrible).

CSM126

#10 Post by CSM126 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:41 pm

I have the Criterion laserdisc with the Odorama card and it still works after decades. I keep my LDs in a plastic tote box and I can smell that card every time I open the lid.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:48 pm

The New Line DVD came with an Odorama card, so I imagine any circulating copies are from that, not the theatrical run

colinr0380

#12 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:50 pm

I have the card from the DVD and have been scared for over a decade to try it. I don't think I really needed it to enjoy the film, as I assume that after a few of the circles have been scratched away all of the smells would blend together!