1970s List Discussion and Suggestions (Lists Project Vol. 3)

An ongoing survey of the Criterion Forum membership to create lists of the best films of each decade and genre.
mizo

Re: 1970s List Discussion and Suggestions (Lists Project Vol. 3)

#926 Post by mizo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:49 pm
(and where does that come from? I know I've seen an earlier film -- b&w? -- where somebody helps a stranger park/crash their car. I seem to recall them taking casual glee in it. Jerry Lewis, perhaps?)
Woody Allen does it in Bananas.

Anyway, count me in as another big fan of Animal House. I first saw it in my freshman year of college, having been aware of it since I was a kid. At the time I was revisiting some favorites from childhood, including Caddyshack, and I was mainly shocked by how mediocre my older self was finding them. Of course, that only made the greatness of Landis's film stand out in sharper relief. Belushi's is the rare comic performance that is so expertly calibrated - with such precise and, above all, graceful timing - that it was not in the least dampened by years of anticipation. And of course the movie has one of the all-time great descent-into-chaos conclusions, replete with those incredible (and wildly unfair) digs at the ending of American Graffiti.

flyonthewall2983

#927 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:22 pm

Landis had a good point about how Hollywood comedies now don't end in complete chaos like this did anymore. The Judd Apatow movies are particularly guilty of this, and I think he cited a few as examples.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#928 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:46 pm

The ending chaos of Animal House is also helped by delivering the most perfect punchline imaginable
SpoilerShow
"Do you think you could give us one more chance?"

Lemmy Caution

#929 Post by Lemmy Caution » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:02 pm

mizo wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:19 pm
Lemmy Caution wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:49 pm
(and where does that come from? I know I've seen an earlier film -- b&w? -- where somebody helps a stranger park/crash their car. I seem to recall them taking casual glee in it. Jerry Lewis, perhaps?)
Woody Allen does it in Bananas.
Thanks for that.
I couldn't place it.
IIRC, a brief throwaway gag.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#930 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:09 am

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:59 am

I... comme Icare (Henri Verneuil 1979)
In an unnamed but French-looking country, a president is assassinated and Yves Montand’s attorney general refuses to sign off on the commission’s lone gunman report. He sets up his own commission and through some grim deductions uncovers a wider conspiracy. I was delighted that the decade that gave us so many great paranoid conspiracy thrillers had one more hidden treat to deliver with this film. Drawing heavily on existing JFK lore, this one has some novel beats that I quite enjoyed. For instance, how many conspiracy films grind to a halt to play out the famous Milgram experiment from Psych 101 for literally 20 minutes? One, this one. The ending is predictably bleak, but in these kind of films, that’s par for the course. The director gets a lot of mileage out of making the audience paranoid enough to recognize the danger in a certain architectural design long before the payoff arrives, though! Highly recommended.
Domino, how did you get to see this one? There's a blu from LCJ Editions but I can't tell if there's English subs.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#931 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:26 am

I saw it via back channels. According to DVDFr, while the Blu-ray is region free, it does not contain subtitles (and it needs them). I'm actually not sure where the subs on the circulating copy come from... it would be a great release for some enterprising boutique label for sure, though!

Jean-Luc Garbo

#932 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:50 pm

Wow, no French subs either. I figured it had to be a back channel deal but the blu is still pretty tempting. I heard about this one from an Elio Petri podcast but maybe that's evidence enough why some label here hasn't scooped it up yet.