Films of Youth List Discussion + Suggestions (Genre Project)

An ongoing survey of the Criterion Forum membership to create lists of the best films of each decade and genre.
Kirkinson

Re: Films of Youth List Discussion + Suggestions (Genre Project)

#201 Post by Kirkinson » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:53 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:47 pm
An exhaustive analysis of the pizza scene from Home Alone

EDIT: Party cut?? What the fuck, Chicagoeans, explain yourself
The party cut is so ubiquitous in the Chicago suburbs that I had no idea it was weird until I moved out of state and never, ever saw it again. Somehow, the fact that I had never seen it portrayed in a movie or on TV never occurred to me. It also seems strange to me, though, that the author of that pizza book claims Chicagoans don't actually order deep dish pizza. It's certainly not an everyday thing (it's way too filling) but it's definitely not just a tourist thing, either. In my family it was like a meal for special occasions like graduations or little league baseball victories.

Feego

#202 Post by Feego » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:08 pm

Some pizza parlors (do people still say that?) in Texas offer the party cut too.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#203 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:12 pm

There's a chain here, Ledo, that does square cuts, but the pizzas are rectangular, so it makes sense

knives

#204 Post by knives » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:37 pm

Square cuts are called party cuts? Weird, I remember Pizza Hut or some other chain offering that in PA.

Mr Sausage
Not PETA approved

#205 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:28 am

Yeah, pizza hut did party cuts here in Canada, too (or at least southwestern Ontario). I only ever saw them at birthdays.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#206 Post by Shrew » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:01 pm

Donato's, which I think is based in Ohio (at least, that's where I've seen them), cuts all their pizza like that (though I've never heard it called a "party cut"). I kinda like it, since it essentially makes pizza bite size. Of course, it only really works with thin crust pizza which is already an abomination in and of itself so who cares how you cut it.