The Simpsons List Discussion and Suggestions

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
Lemmy Caution

Re: The Simpsons List Discussion and Suggestions

#301 Post by Lemmy Caution » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:21 am

I wish I had some late undiscovered gems.
The only later episode I have is HomR (Crayon in the Brain) from S12, which I think is a great episode.
The others from S12, S13, S14, S16 are all full Treehouse episodes.
That S12-14 ToH run is great, and featuring my favorite Treehouse mini-eps: Send in the Clones, Night of the Dolphins, Hex and the City (the Gypsy curse).

Overall I have the first 20 seasons on dvd -- in China you can just buy a single disc with a whole season crammed on it -- and have only seen a few scattered shows from S21-24, and nothing of the past few years.

Maybe I'll try to look through some of the S16-20.
And I'll try to rewatch S3 since most folks seem to have way more from that season than the 3 I chose.
Overall, my breakdown largely resembles Swo's , except I have those 4 later ToH's on my list.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#302 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:27 am

I would need more time to revisit ToH eps that I just do not have unless this thing gets extended. Sorry folks.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#303 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:32 am

It's easy: unless you're Lemmy, vote for all of IV and V and already that's six down

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#304 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:52 am

V made it into my list proper, but on the whole I'm not the biggest ToH fan in general.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#305 Post by swo17 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:30 am

If you're short on time, read the episodes on frinkiac. For what it's worth, here were my top contenders, in chronological order:

Hungry Are the Damned (ToH I)
First Kang and Kodos episode. They abduct the Simpsons, who believe they are going to be eaten. Image

The Monkey's Paw (ToH II)
Be careful what you wish for. Bart wishes the family to be famous but everyone ends up resenting all the merchandising. Lisa selfishly wishes for world peace but aliens take the opportunity to take over the earth.

The Bart Zone (ToH II)
Everyone has to stay positive around Bart or he will destroy them with his mind. Even Moe during a prank call: "Moe's Tavern. Hold on, I'll check. Uh, hey everybody, I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt."

Clown Without Pity (ToH III)
The Krusty doll Homer buys for Bart's birthday is set to evil and tries to kill him. This one of course has the classic "That's good/That's bad" exchange. Also: "You think your dirty socks can stop me? Well, they are making me dizzy."

King Homer (ToH III)

Dial 'Z' for Zombies (ToH III)
"Take that Washington...Eat lead Einstein...Show's over Shakespeare."

The Devil and Homer Simpson (ToH IV)
Homer sells his soul to Flanders the devil for a donut. Actually, my favorite exchange from this was saved for the 138th Episode Spectacular. "Well, I didn't win, here's your pizza." "But we did win." "That's okay, the box is empty."

Terror at 5 1/2 Feet (ToH IV)
Bart sees a gremlin on the side of the bus. I'd forgotten just how funny this one was. "I'm riding the bus today because mother hid my car keys to punish me for talking to a woman on the phone. She was right to do it." I also love the moment where Bart removes a flare from Martin's shorts, the other falls out, and he puts it back.

Bart Simpson's Dracula (ToH IV)

The Shinning (ToH V)

Time and Punishment (ToH V)

Nightmare Cafeteria (ToH V)

Nightmare on Evergreen Terrace (ToH VI)
Groundskeeper Willie attacks the schoolchildren in their creatively animated dreams.
Also: "Recharge the fire extinguishers? This is a free service of the fire department." "Nay."

I Know What You Diddily-Iddily-Did (ToH X)
Marge accidentally runs over Werewolf Flanders. This moment where Homer gives instructions to Flanders' corpse with his most serious whisper is priceless.

Life's a Glitch, Then You Die (ToH X)
All hell breaks loose because Homer neglected to update the power plant's computer system for Y2K.

Lemmy Caution

#306 Post by Lemmy Caution » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:45 am

Nightmare On Evergreen Terrace
Clown Without Pity
The Shinning
Monkey's Paw
are all on my provisional list of 13 ...

Along with S9: The HΩmega Man; S8: The Thing and I (Hugo, Bart's evil Siamese twin); S16: The Ned Zone & Jack the Ripper.

S9: Fly Vs. Fly & S8: The Genesis Tub are terrific but in danger of not making the cut.
And these are locks:
TofH XI S12: Night of the Dolphins
TofH XIII S14: Send in the Clones
TofH XII S13: Hex and the City

I have 8 ToH's on my Top 50 List:
TofH XI S12: Ghost Dad; Fairy-tale Forest; Night of the Dolphins
TofH XIII S14: Send in the Clones; BillytheKid; Island of Dr. Hibbert
TofH VII S8: The Thing and I (Hugo); The Genesis Tub; Citizen Kang
TofH XII S13: Hex and the City (Gypsy); House of Whacks; Wiz Kids
TofH XV S16: The Ned Zone; Jack the Ripper; Belly of the Boss
TofH VIII S9: The HΩmega Man; Fly Vs. Fly; Easy-Bake Coven
TofH V S6: Shinning; Time & Punishment; Nightmare Cafeteria
TofH VI S7: 50’ Eyesores; Nightmare on Evergreen Terrace; Homer³

Lemmy Caution

But ice cream cake ...

#307 Post by Lemmy Caution » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:33 am

TofH XV S16: The Ned Zone
Homer accidentally hits Ned on the head with a bowling ball, resulting in Ned having the power to foresee people's deaths. It's great, but my favorite exchange:

NED gravely warns: "Homer, stay away from the nuclear power plant."
HOMER: "Fine I'll never go there again ... starting tomorrow."
Today is Lenny's birthday and they're having ice cream cake."
NED (pleading): "But-but you'll kill us all!"
HOMER: "But ice cream cake ... "
(and Homer drives off to work).

Also, there's this:
Last edited by Lemmy Caution on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#308 Post by barryconvex » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:27 am

My ten favorite fake movie titles from The Simpsons (Omitting the Troy McClure, McGarnagle and McBain titles):

1) Hot Grits A-Flyin'
2) Hail To The Chimp
3) The Erotic Awakening Of S
4) Help, My Son Is A Nerd
5) Rip Roarin' Reverend
6) School Of Hard Knockers
7) The Christmas That Almost Wasn't But Then Was
8) The Bloodening
9) Ernest Needs A Kidney
10) Look Who's Oinking

Lemmy Caution

Lisa

#309 Post by Lemmy Caution » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:00 am

Anyone looking fora terrific late season episode, try All About Lisa (S19).
Narrated by Melvin van Horne.
Will make my list
The B story with Bart and Homer collecting coins is only okay, but still has good moments, such as Radioactive Man Meets the Kansas City Royals, which for some reason always makes me laugh.

Werewolf by Night

#310 Post by Werewolf by Night » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:18 pm

barryconvex wrote:My ten favorite fake movie titles from The Simpsons (Omitting the Troy McClure, McGarnagle and McBain titles):
I'm still dying to see Face Puncher IV

Lemmy Caution

Re: Lisa

#311 Post by Lemmy Caution » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:19 pm

Last edited by Lemmy Caution on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#312 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:25 pm

Can't believe I forgot my favorite joke from Terror at 5 1/2 Feet:

"Bart, look, Krusty trading cards. The long-awaited eighth series!"
SpoilerShow

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#313 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:26 pm

Speaking of, I had a complete set of Simpsons trading cards in those nine-card plastic binder pages. No idea whatever happened to them, I probably threw them out when going thru my "I'm an adult now" phase

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#314 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:38 pm

dustybooks

#315 Post by dustybooks » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:11 pm

domino harvey wrote:Speaking of, I had a complete set of Simpsons trading cards in those nine-card plastic binder pages. No idea whatever happened to them, I probably threw them out when going thru my "I'm an adult now" phase
Ugh. I threw out so much great (or valuable) stuff during that phase. In particular I never would have expected how much I'd miss some of my off-the-air VHS tapes twenty years down the line.

Speaking of which, watching "Homer Defined" I noticed yet again how much one of my favorite lines is ruined on the DVD version. "Bad influence, my ass! How many times have I told you, never listen to your mother?" has "ass" replaced with "butt" which takes half the joke away. Apparently this line was controversial for some reason after the initial broadcast and they changed it, but the syndication print retains the original. One of the few cases in which the syndicated version of an episode has a leg up on the canonical one. Another gag I prefer in syndication is in "Saturdays of Thunder," which in the cut version (also used on original broadcast because of a music video premiere) replaces the longer Football's Greatest Injuries tangent with a single line -- "The compound fracture, truly one of football's greatest injuries" -- that's a total throwaway but is funnier to me than the actual footage shown in the complete episode.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#316 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:53 pm

Luckily I held onto the Simpsons Rainy Day Fun Book, whatever the outdoor one was called, and Bart Simpson's Guide to Life-- these are actually still really fun even for an adult! Though don't try making the sugar cookies from the recipe in Rainy Day, the ingredients aren't in the right proportion, as I learned the hard way as a kid

barryconvex

#317 Post by barryconvex » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:47 pm

dustybooks wrote:Another gag I prefer in syndication is in "Saturdays of Thunder," which in the cut version (also used on original broadcast because of a music video premiere) replaces the longer Football's Greatest Injuries tangent with a single line -- "The compound fracture, truly one of football's greatest injuries" -- that's a total throwaway but is funnier to me than the actual footage shown in the complete episode.
Wait...which is which? I thought the definitive version containing the "compound fracture" line (followed by Homer saying to Marge, "You made me miss Joe Theismann!") without any of the footage from the VHS tape the family rents was the one on the DVD. I have seen both versions in syndication. The other having the footage of an NFL player being maimed in slow motion. In any case i agree the version without the extra footage is better...

barryconvex

#318 Post by barryconvex » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:05 pm

Ugh. I threw out so much great (or valuable) stuff during that phase....
I sold all my comic books, baseball cards and Mad magazines so i could pay for my senior prom. I forget how much i got for them. I know i had one valuable Spider-Man comic and the rest were nothing special. The real tragedy of this era was the local comic shop had a mint copy of the first X-Men for the outrageous and unattainable price of $300. I believe this now sells for roughly $500K depending on condition. I'm not certain about that number though. And to tie this back in with The Simpsons and their unerring (early seasons) view of the elementary school years, is there a better episode of network television dealing with that most cherished of childhood grails-the first edition superhero comic-than "Three Men And A Comic Book"?

Lemmy Caution

#319 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:55 am

Werewolf by Night wrote:
barryconvex wrote:My ten favorite fake movie titles from The Simpsons (Omitting the Troy McClure, McGarnagle and McBain titles):
I'm still dying to see Face Puncher IV
I'd be up for Ghost Willie or The Principal Who Sold a Screenplay two of Skinner's 4 screenplays in Season 19 ("Any Given Sundance") when Lisa (and Nelson) submit documentary shorts to Sundance. Chalmskin Productions.

Ribs

#320 Post by Ribs » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:54 pm

FXX will be doing Every Episode Ever again this Thanksgiving. Don't quite see the point now that Simpsons World is up and has a dedicated Every Episode Ever channel looping the series.

(This might be better suited to the regular Simpsons thread, but it seems strange to have two concurrent Simpsons discussions)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#321 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:47 am

One answer: Ratings. If they recapture even a little of the magic that they had from the last marathon, it will have been worth it.

dustybooks

#322 Post by dustybooks » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:48 pm

My list has a lot more from seasons six and seven than I expected until I sat down to compile it. I wonder if it's because that is when I started watching the show. (I actually remember the Simpsons-Mania period of 1990-91, when I was in kindergarten / first grade, but for whatever reason had no interest at that point.)

Breakdown:
season one - 3 episodes
season two - 12 (no surprise, it's been my favorite for years)
season three - 7
season four - 4
season five - 5
season six - 8
season seven - 10
season eight - 1

I considered a few later episodes but ultimately decided that none of them warranted a place in lieu of various shows from the first seven seasons that could just as easily have been on the list. The only one I have a feeling I may seriously regret leaving off is a season eight episode. Anxious to see the results of this one.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#323 Post by swo17 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:13 pm

I've got seven lists in and there is only one episode that has appeared on every single list so far (though this is only enough to rank it currently at #8).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#324 Post by swo17 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:23 pm

Well so much for that. But we now have a top 100. I'll be accepting lists throughout the night and posting results in the morning. There are several contributors to this thread that I haven't heard from yet. If I haven't told you I've received your list, then I haven't received it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#325 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:37 am

Voting closed. Results soon.