1990s List Discussion and Suggestions (Lists Project Vol. 2)

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
Binker

Re: 1990s List Discussion and Suggestions

#51 Post by Binker » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:54 pm

domino harvey wrote:To Sleep With Anger should definitely be on everyone's radar for this list. Everyone has five and a half months to seek it out if they haven't had the pleasure, and lord, everyone owes themselves a film this good.
I'll echo this sentiment for Van Gogh. A true masterpiece, in my estimation, and Pialat's best.

Plus, there's an excellent R1 transfer.

zedz

#52 Post by zedz » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:07 pm

Murdoch wrote:Mad Dog and Glory is a film I need to revisit. I watched it about a decade ago just because Murray was in it, expecting a light comedy. Then I discovered the film was about a sick underworld with Murray as a mob boss and it has stuck with me if only for Murray playing a very despicable villain and De Niro as a hapless coward (quite a change from what I was used to). Also, it's the only time I haven't found David Caruso insufferable.
I've got an idiosyncratic reading of this film which makes it (for me) much more interesting than it may actually be. When I saw it, it seemed obvious to me and the people I saw it with that Murray's character was gay and was motivated by an enormous instantaneous crush on de Niro ( I think the first thing he asks him is if he's married, which is pretty bizarre in the context of their 'meet-cute'). His behaviour doesn't make much sense to me otherwise, but lust and jealousy work a treat (and it also makes De Niro's doofus somewhat funnier). Of course, we soon realised that nobody else saw it this way at all. If this was the intention, then it represents some pretty heavy-duty subtext smuggling for a Hollywood film, so give it a whirl.

Oh, and I keep remembering other essential films. The following are all available in decent subbed editions, I think:
Satantango, which should be on everybody's radar already. Do make the time for it.
Drygas' astonishing shortish documentary Hear My Cry, which could well be my highest ranking non-fiction film of the decade. I don't want to give too much away, because the film unfurls so beautifully, but it's just devastating and deals with the challenge of its found footage in an incredibly sophisticated and powerful way. I was shaking after seeing it.
The Power of Kangwon Province - Hong's second film is his greatest achievement in my book, a structural game that delivers unexpected transcendence alongside his more typical wry pessimism about human relationships. I will also try to find a berth for his first film, The Day a Pig Fell into the Well.
Lessons in Darkness - By this point Herzog's particular talent has almost exclusively been relegated to documentary, but this is one of the best things he ever did: awe-inspiring, horrific and, in its science-fiction pretensions, as wonderfully sui generis as Fata Morgana. I also recommend the visually spectacular Jag Mandir and the stranger-than-fiction Wings of Hope (which I prefer to its sibling film Little Dieter Needs to Fly).
A Scene at the Sea - Kitano had a superb decade, but this low-key Keatonian gem (the deaf surfer one) has always been my favourite, despite the syrupy montage that almost makes me throw up at the end. After Sonatine and Hana-bi, his sentimentality tended to swamp the films, but here it's hard-won and perfectly tuned.
Last edited by zedz on Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

denti alligator

#53 Post by denti alligator » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:11 pm

Cold Bishop wrote:
denti alligator wrote:That Burnett choice is just plain weird!
He's also gone on record as calling it one of his 10 favorite films period. Esoteric choice, and not one I can agree with (especially with the wonderful To Sleep with Anger just a few years before) but interesting nonetheless.
Why? Do you know?
To Sleep With Anger should definitely be on everyone's radar for this list. Though it's not out on DVD in R1, its original aspect ratio if academy, so getting your hands on a VHS copy is not going to ruin anything. Everyone has five and a half months to seek it out if they haven't had the pleasure, and lord, everyone owes themselves a film this good.
Is the BFI DVD worth getting (even though oop)?

Cold Bishop

#54 Post by Cold Bishop » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:21 pm

denti alligator wrote:Why? Do you know?
From his site:
Jonathan Rosenbaum wrote:One of my all-time favorite films, this beautiful 12-minute short by Charles Burnett (Killer of Sheep, The Glass Shield), made for French TV in 1995, is a jazz parable about locating common roots in contemporary Watts and one of those rare movies in which jazz forms directly influence film narrative. The slender plot involves a Good Samaritan and local griot (Ayuko Babu), who serves as poetic narrator, trying to raise money from his neighbors in the ghetto for a young mother who’s about to be evicted, and each person he goes to see registers like a separate solo in a 12-bar blues. (Eventually a John Handy album recorded in Monterey, a countercultural emblem of the 60s, becomes a crucial barter item.) This gem has been one of the most difficult of Burnett’s films to see.

geoffcowgill

#55 Post by geoffcowgill » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:23 pm

LQ wrote:
Would anyone recommend Frears' The Snapper?
The Snapper is great, with Colm Meaney giving one of the most delightful performances I've ever seen. Hell, it might even be my favorite Frears film.

And since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I don't think, let me remind everyone of Heavenly Creatures, a movie very unlike anything else Peter Jackson's made in case that concerns you.

Binker

#56 Post by Binker » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:26 pm

Cronenfly wrote:The Cable Guy- Written by an uncredited Judd Apatow (this is where he met Leslie Mann, his future wife) and featuring a plethora of effective cameos (Eric Roberts [the best of all, even if the joke's stolen from The Simpsons], Janeane Garofalo, David Cross, Bob Odenkirk, Owen Wilson, George Segal, Ben Stiller [whose direction here is leaps and bounds ahead of his inaugural effort, Reality Bites], etc), it's a film ripe for re-evaluation. It isn't a masterpiece in any way, shape, or form, but it is far ahead of Carrey's other '90s efforts (I include The Truman Show in making that statement) in twisting his usual dipshit persona into darker, more complex territories (and without the biopic restrictions of Man on the Moon). Broderick serves as an ideal straight man (before that act grew wearying) and the film's satirical elements, though often a bit clunky, serve the film well on the whole.
This was a childhood fav of my mine, but I wouldn't expect someone without a sentimental attachment to find much more than a few Carrey laughs here. From ages 9 to 13 I probably watched this movie 50 times. I rewatched it about a year ago, but it really didn't hold up for me. Broderick's performance is actually shocking in its blandness. I don't think I've ever seen an actor put forth such utter nothingness. Carrey has his good and bad moments, as he always does. This is definitely the darkest of his 90s comedies, but the movie never makes any kind of real attempt towards an emotional or thematic payoff. Certainly the overarching theme is the absurdity and destructiveness of contemporary TV culture, but there's no real insight and everything's pretty much played for cheap laughs. Which is fine of course, but much of the movie is made up of bad gags that just don't work (Medieval Times, the basketball game, all the work stuff). In the end, it really isn't funny enough to succeed as a comedy, and, although it pokes fun at the society of the spectacle, it doesn't really have anything to say about it. There are funny parts, though. Ben Stiller as the Sweet brothers is particularly great. "I think it was an Asian gang or something... this guy, he looked Asian... he was speaking another language, I'm pretty sure it was... Asian..."

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#57 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:34 pm

denti alligator wrote: Is the BFI DVD worth getting (even though oop)?
Milestone has the rights and an edition is coming at some point, so your best bet is probably to do what I did: Request the VHS via ILL. Of course, the downside to that is that you can't show the film to everyone you know, a regret I've had to live with for the past couple years. DVDBeaver reviewed the barebones BFI and said it was okay if memory serves.

Dr Amicus

#58 Post by Dr Amicus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:36 am

A few that are very likely to be on my list that don't seem to have been mentioned so far.

Batman Returns: The highpoint of this first run of Batman - and Burton's most underrrated film. A dance of death by its four lead characters who are all delineated in shades of grey.

Alien 3: For Charles S Dutton and the wonderful climactic dive. Flawed, but beautiful.

twentyfourseven: Shane Meadows first full length feature (although his shorts are frequently very impressive). Yes there are cliches, but it's beautifully acted and there is a real poetry about it that I feel is often lacking in the 60s realist films.

Kiss of Death: Barbet Schroeder's finest US film (except possibly Barfly which I haven't seen) - a cracking little thriller with a brain. Back in the days when David Caruso thought his future lay in film rather than TV.

Wild Bill / Geronimo / Last Man Standing: Commercial failures - and seemingly critically overlooked - but Hill's three Westerns of the decade are all well worth a look.

The Quick and Dead / Dark Man: Raimi's playful side with genre comes to the fore. How can you not love a film where someone realises they're dead when they see the bullet hole in their shadow?

The Grifters: Frears' best film? I placed My Beautiful Laundrette very highly in my 80s list and look forward to returning to this.

Land and Freedom: Possibly Loach's finest film - one of the many highlights is a discussion about land collectivisation (really!).

I don't know what's going to be top yet - likely candidates are Crash, Unforgiven, Three Colour: Red and Silence of the Lambs. This could be an interesting list, as I don't think the canon is as strongly formed yet as for earlier decades.

tojoed

#59 Post by tojoed » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:26 am

I have managed to find a decent boot of A Brighter Summer Day in the UK (237 min, is that right?), so I'll be taking Zedz's recommendation.

colinr0380

#60 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:18 am

I will of course join the chorus of appreciation for A Brighter Summer Day. Perhaps Criterion might get the DVD out before our poll closes so it can reach a wider audience? :wink:

I'll probably find a place for Liebestraum this time around. The Nasty Girl too. Also I might revisit the Bruce McDonald films Highway 61 and Dance Me Outside, which I haven't seen in years.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geoffcowgill

#61 Post by geoffcowgill » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:10 pm

Binker wrote:
Cronenfly wrote:The Cable Guy- Written by an uncredited Judd Apatow (this is where he met Leslie Mann, his future wife) and featuring a plethora of effective cameos (Eric Roberts [the best of all, even if the joke's stolen from The Simpsons], Janeane Garofalo, David Cross, Bob Odenkirk, Owen Wilson, George Segal, Ben Stiller [whose direction here is leaps and bounds ahead of his inaugural effort, Reality Bites], etc), it's a film ripe for re-evaluation. It isn't a masterpiece in any way, shape, or form, but it is far ahead of Carrey's other '90s efforts (I include The Truman Show in making that statement) in twisting his usual dipshit persona into darker, more complex territories (and without the biopic restrictions of Man on the Moon). Broderick serves as an ideal straight man (before that act grew wearying) and the film's satirical elements, though often a bit clunky, serve the film well on the whole.
This was a childhood fav of my mine, but I wouldn't expect someone without a sentimental attachment to find much more than a few Carrey laughs here. From ages 9 to 13 I probably watched this movie 50 times. I rewatched it about a year ago, but it really didn't hold up for me. Broderick's performance is actually shocking in its blandness. I don't think I've ever seen an actor put forth such utter nothingness. Carrey has his good and bad moments, as he always does. This is definitely the darkest of his 90s comedies, but the movie never makes any kind of real attempt towards an emotional or thematic payoff. Certainly the overarching theme is the absurdity and destructiveness of contemporary TV culture, but there's no real insight and everything's pretty much played for cheap laughs. Which is fine of course, but much of the movie is made up of bad gags that just don't work (Medieval Times, the basketball game, all the work stuff). In the end, it really isn't funny enough to succeed as a comedy, and, although it pokes fun at the society of the spectacle, it doesn't really have anything to say about it. There are funny parts, though. Ben Stiller as the Sweet brothers is particularly great. "I think it was an Asian gang or something... this guy, he looked Asian... he was speaking another language, I'm pretty sure it was... Asian..."
I think the movie is pretty awful, but Carrey's performance is absolutely brilliant, shockingly so. He manages to take this underdeveloped character in a project that, while certainly more sardonic than usual, is still very much a commercial product and treat the role as if it was his Terry Malloy. Despite being required to take part in inescapably bad set pieces like the basketball game, Carrey never seems to be doing simply a bit; he's always completely this very real person, exagerrated only so much as the dictates of the script seem to demand. In a way, it becomes one of the most devastating portrayals of loneliness ever given, a black comedy Travis Bickle. I'd wager that in most hands, the absurd karaoke scene of "Somebody To Love" would have been no more than another bit of Hollywood comedy buffonery, but Carrey's raw emotion transcends the project he's in so that even with the flashy 'funny' presentation of it, it's a very telling and true scene. I can think of few other movies so remarkably outclassed by one of their performances. If Carrey had continued this level of work throughout his career, he could have been the American Peter Sellers.

Cronenfly

#62 Post by Cronenfly » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:23 pm

geoffcowgill wrote:
Binker wrote:
I think the movie is pretty awful, but Carrey's performance is absolutely brilliant, shockingly so. He manages to take this underdeveloped character in a project that, while certainly more sardonic than usual, is still very much a commercial product and treat the role as if it was his Terry Malloy. Despite being required to take part in inescapably bad set pieces like the basketball game, Carrey never seems to be doing simply a bit; he's always completely this very real person, exagerrated only so much as the dictates of the script seem to demand. In a way, it becomes one of the most devastating portrayals of loneliness ever given, a black comedy Travis Bickle. I'd wager that in most hands, the absurd karaoke scene of "Somebody To Love" would have been no more than another bit of Hollywood comedy buffonery, but Carrey's raw emotion transcends the project he's in so that even with the flashy 'funny' presentation of it, it's a very telling and true scene. I can think of few other movies so remarkably outclassed by one of their performances. If Carrey had continued this level of work throughout his career, he could have been the American Peter Sellers.
Thanks to you both for your thoughts. I think you hit the nail on the head, though, geoff, in that Carrey's performance is really the only exceptional facet of the movie, which makes much more sense of my positive reaction to the film than any of the reasons I gave. I agree that I've never seen him so committed to a role (not even in his dramatic afforts like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind), and so, though it ultimately may be a silly movie to champion, I think for that alone it's worth seeing (and is probably the reason I felt compelled to seek out the movie on DVD despite seeing snippets on TV a few months prior which I didn't react positively to at all and being staunchly anti-Carrey otherwise).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#63 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:33 pm

Though it's not a genre I gravitate towards in general, I would like to speak up for a couple of underrated horror films from this decade:

Lord of Illusions Perhaps Candyman and Hellraiser are better known, but this is to my eyes the best Clive Barker film (as director or adaptation). Dark, hellish, but not without a pitch-black sense of humor, this film gives the appearance of being a neonoir for about an hour before all hell literally breaks loose. That last forty-five minutes or so is enough to make anyone long for the days when set decoration and practical effects were the main attraction in these sort of films. Throughout the picture, Barker takes full advantage of popular conceptions of magic, religion, and Scott Bakula. Plus, it's not every movie that features Kruger from Seinfeld killing dozens of cult members.

the House on Haunted Hill A sort of 90s version of Clue, with every actor racing to out-overact each other. Geoffrey Rush and Famke Janssen in particular seem to have had the most fun, and the effect rubs off. This is a silly movie done well, and no one involved takes it too seriously, but it has a real charm missing from most other films of a similar ilk.

GringoTex

#64 Post by GringoTex » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:02 pm

domino harvey wrote:If we're doing swapsies, the film I'd like everyone to see is Dick.
Speaking of swapsies, did I get screwed by you in our 80s swapsies?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#65 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:56 pm

No, I saw Blood Wedding but I haven't written about it yet. I have like five capsules still to write for the 80s thread.

zedz

#66 Post by zedz » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:58 pm

Playing Hard to Get:

Since I'm the designated cheerleader for lost causes, here are some films from my shortlist that are not, to my knowledge, readily available. If you get the chance to see any of them, snap it up, or if you know where they can be found on disc, even better - let us know.

Life and Nothing More (Abbas Kiarostami, 1991) – Probably my favourite Kiarostami, with one of the greatest closing shots ever.

In That Country (Lidia Bobrova, 1997) – A gorgeous wintry rural ramble that also ultimately turns unexpectedly transcendent. I think I’ve got a VHS of this kicking around somewhere. Bobrova’s previous Hey, You Wild Geese is also excellent.

The Guard (Aleksandr Rogozhkin, 1990) – A film I’ve only ever seen once, but it was a stunner. It’s actually only at the end that you see where Rogozhkin is going with it, so it’s a bit of an unknown quantity in terms of how it would play on multiple viewings. The film depicts the drudgery of a military guard’s life, but the twist is that Rogozhkin eschews hard cuts, instead moving from shot to shot through dissolves. This imparts a hazy, dreamlike quality to repetitive, grimy routine. It’s an odd experiment for most of the film, but when the narrative finally reaches crisis point, the film slips abruptly into an extended dream sequence (from which we never emerge), conveyed, shockingly, in traditional montage. It’s a brilliant effect that calls into question both the relationship between the film’s own levels and our received notions about film grammar.

Journey to the Sun (Yesim Ustaoglu, 1999) – I seem to have a lot of films on my list for this decade which takes themselves into unexpectedly extraordinary territory in their final act. This tough life-on-the-streets drama from Turkey is very good, but not particularly original until it detours off into an eerie odyssey at the end, evoking aspects of Begrman’s The Silence with Tarkovsky’s tactility.

An Independent Life (Vitaly Kanevsky, 1992) – So many great, unknown Russian films from this decade. Who knows what’s happened to them? This sequel to Freeze, Die, Come to Life is much less known and much, much weirder, as one of the protagonists of the previous film seems to have taken its title disconcertingly literally. I have no idea how this film would play without the anchoring of the previous film, but as a sequel it’s as bold and unexpected as Life and Nothing More.

Screen Play (Barry Purves, 1992) – Sublime animation that starts out as ingenious riffs on Noh but swoops brutally and unexpectedly into splatter. Genre-blender stuff as conceptually daring as the wildest of Oshima and Yoshida.

Rock Hudson’s Home Movies (Mark Rappaport, 1992) – The best example of Rappaport’s unique contribution to film criticism, and hilarious to boot, but not commercially available.

Rainclouds Over Wushan (Zhang Ming, 1995) – One of the first films to address the Three Gorges Dam situation, this is a a rich and emotionally varied drama that veers from incongruous musical interludes (to Prince’s 'Peach') to the realm of grimy dark thriller. Writer Zhu Wen went on to direct the superb South of the Clouds, which has a similarly slippery mood.

Three Stories (Kira Muratova, 1997) – Maybe the best thing Muratova has done since The Asthenic Syndrome, and it’s a great showcase for her versatility, with each story embodied with its own radically different style. The last one is subdued and Chekhovian, the middle one extravagant and Felliniesque, and the first one is pure Muratova, with nervous repetitions getting under your skin and maybe my favourite montage experiment of the decade, a ‘reveal’ that goes on and on and on, forcing you to look at what you shouldn’t want to look at again and again and again.

Rats in the Ranks (Robin Anderson / Bob Connolly, 1996) – A very well-done fly-on-the-wall documentary about party machinations at the local body level in Sydney that overachieves because the characters are so indelible and the story so outrageously great.

Love’s Debris (Werner Schroeter, 1996) – Opera singers talk and sing about romantic love. Unexpectedly moving.

The Nasty Girl (Michael Verhoeven, 1990) – This has already been mentioned by somebody, I think, and it’s a remarkable film. Incredibly gimmicky and relentlessly Brechtian (though maybe Syberberg is as relevent a point of reference), but it simultaneously calls Brecht into question, since the extreme distanciation (the protagonist continually breaks the fourth wall, settings are revealed to be sets or back projection) actually brings us much closer to the character.

August in the Water (Sogo Ishii, 1995) – His previous film, Labyrinth of Dreams was briefly available through Japanese New Wave Classics, and it’s stunning (and will probably make my list), but this bizarre quasi-science-fiction high-school drama keeps buzzing around my brain. It’s something about high-divers seeming to glimpse the water below them shifting and solidifying, and an ancient conspiracy involving rocks, and aliens, and internal organs. As I recall, it didn’t quite succeed in tying everything together into a coherent whole, but it presented more great ideas in two hours than most directors stumble across in two decades.

Portrait of a Young Girl at the End of the 60s in Brussels (Chantal Akerman, 1993) – From the unacceptably MIA 'Tous les jeunes filles et garcons de leur age' series, also responsible for Assayas’ superb L’eau froide and Denis’ excellent US Go Home, this is, for me, the best thing Akerman’s done in decades.

How to Survive a Broken Heart (Paul Ruven, 1990) – A winning black-and white Dutch indie revolving around a bizarre road race that I remember most fondly for a charisma-drenched star turn from Argentinian director Alejandro Agresti as Giro. Ultra-louche and completely magnetic on screen, but he doesn’t seem to have pursued the acting side of his career with particular diligence.

L’Age des Possibles (Pascale Ferran, 1995) – Ferran’s tricksy debut Petits arrangements avec les morts got more critical kudos, and her long-delayed follow-up Lady Chatterley finally got her the attention she deserves, but this unassuming feature, created in collaboration with a class of acting students, is my favourite, exhibiting the observational delicacy of Rohmer with greater structural ambition and energy.

To the Starry Island (Park Kwang-su, 1993) – A tough period drama in the vein of several unsentimental Japanese ‘island’ films (The Naked Island, The Catch, Punishment Island, The Profound Desire of the Gods, Fire Festival), from perhaps the most important Korean director of the decade. I’m also a big admirer of Park’s Black Republic and A Single Spark.

The Sentimental Cop (Kira Muratova, 1992) – I only ever saw this in an Italian subbed version, but Muratova’s approach to dialogue is so idiosyncratic (think Beckett put through an Echoplex) it was pretty easy to pick up what was being said and resaid. Hypnotic, abrasive and unforgettable, maybe the deepest she ever went into ‘Muratova-land’ (though Chekhovian Motifs is pretty far gone as well).

Still Hard to Get, But Worth the Effort:

And here are some films that are available if you hunt around a bit:

The Quince Tree Sun (Victor Erice, 1992) – An exquisite meditation on art and life. Quite different from Spirit of the Beehive, but just as good. Available in a superb, fully subbed edition with extensive extras from fnac.es and, it seems, nowhere else.

Sink or Swim (Su Friedrich, 1990) – A must-see for fans of Greenaway’s arch structural games but also for those who can’t stand Greenaway. Available from Outcast films. The short Rules of the Road, on the Damned If You Don’t disc, will also make my top 50.

L’eau froide (Olivier Assayas, 1994) – The French Dazed and Confused, but also the anti-Dazed and Confused. Available (unsubbed) in France.

Alone: Life Wastes Andy Hardy (Martin Arnold, 1998) – A work of creepy genius. Mickey Rooney reveals himself as an uncanny alien lifeform between the frames. Available on the 'Cineseizure' disc from Re: Voir. Here’s Judy singing the theme song!

The Boys (Rowan Woods, 1998) – Extremely brutal, gruelling drama strongly in the Alan Clarke tradition, with just about the most chilling last line I’ve heard in a movie. Powerful filmmaking, but, as was often the case with Clarke, it’s the performances that send it over the top. Toni Colette, a million miles from Muriel’s Wedding, may be at her best, but David Wenham is unforgettable (Russell Crowe and Romper Stomper are a Hanna-Barbera cartoon in comparison). Available (or used to be) in Australia, maybe elsewhere too.

Ali Click (Jerome Lefdup / Lari Flash / Brian Eno, 1992) – A great piece of ‘visual music’ in the tradition of Fischinger and Lye (by way of the title sequences to Doctor Who and The Tomorrow People). I think this is included as a QuickTime movie on some editions of Eno’s Nerve Net CD. Or you can always watch it on YouTube.

Yojimbo

#67 Post by Yojimbo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:30 pm

zedz wrote:Playing Hard to Get:

To the Starry Island (Park Kwang-su, 1993) – A tough period drama in the vein of several unsentimental Japanese ‘island’ films (The Naked Island, The Catch, Punishment Island, The Profound Desire of the Gods, Fire Festival), from perhaps the most important Korean director of the decade. I’m also a big admirer of Park’s Black Republic and A Single Spark.

The Quince Tree Sun (Victor Erice, 1992) – An exquisite meditation on art and life. Quite different from Spirit of the Beehive, but just as good. Available in a superb, fully subbed edition with extensive extras from fnac.es and, it seems, nowhere else.
I haven't yet watched my MoC of 'The Naked Island', but I would have reckoned it to be considerably different in tone, if nothing else, from 'The Profound Desire of the Gods'.

I think I saw 'The Quince Tree Sun', but, if so, that would be the only one of your recommendations I've seen
(how many of mine have you seen?)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#68 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:18 am

How could I have forgotten the brilliant Bob Roberts for the upper tier of my list? Unlike most political satires, this one isn't merely a product of its time, but has proven chillingly more and more prescient as politics continue to devolve. Robbins' also-eligible Crade Will Rock ain't too shabby either, but Bob Roberts will probably remain untoppable for the rest of his career.

Awesome Welles

#69 Post by Awesome Welles » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:13 am

zedz wrote:The Nasty Girl (Michael Verhoeven, 1990) – This has already been mentioned by somebody, I think, and it’s a remarkable film. Incredibly gimmicky and relentlessly Brechtian (though maybe Syberberg is as relevent a point of reference), but it simultaneously calls Brecht into question, since the extreme distanciation (the protagonist continually breaks the fourth wall, settings are revealed to be sets or back projection) actually brings us much closer to the character.
Is available here.

LQ

#70 Post by LQ » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:10 am

Wow, I didn't realize how difficult its going to be for me to narrow down a list of 50...its seems that all the films I really enjoyed in the 90s (and still love today!!) are all objectively pretty bad movies. The Fifth Element and Men in Black were the first two VHS tapes that I purchased with my scraped-together allowance money, and especially the former merits a spot in my top ten. If I didn't include it 10-year old me would violently protest. Does anyone else shamelessly love The Fifth Element, or am I alone here?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#71 Post by swo17 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:41 am

zedz wrote:Journey to the Sun (Yesim Ustaoglu, 1999) – I seem to have a lot of films on my list for this decade which takes themselves into unexpectedly extraordinary territory in their final act. This tough life-on-the-streets drama from Turkey is very good, but not particularly original until it detours off into an eerie odyssey at the end, evoking aspects of Begrman’s The Silence with Tarkovsky’s tactility.

Rock Hudson’s Home Movies (Mark Rappaport, 1992) – The best example of Rappaport’s unique contribution to film criticism, and hilarious to boot, but not commercially available.

Sink or Swim (Su Friedrich, 1990) – A must-see for fans of Greenaway’s arch structural games but also for those who can’t stand Greenaway. Available from Outcast films. The short Rules of the Road, on the Damned If You Don’t disc, will also make my top 50.
These are available on Netflix, the last two on Instant Viewing.

colinr0380

#72 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:28 pm

zedz, I have copies of To The Starry Island, The Boys and L'eau froide that I have not yet sat down to watch, so I'll promise to do so in time for the deadline following your recommendation!

zedz

#73 Post by zedz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:26 pm

Yojimbo wrote:something for everybody in this list of faves
Autobus
Blue Steel
Braindead
Butcher Boy, The
Calendar
Conte D'Automne
Dead Man
Death In Brunswick
Hairdresser's Husband, The
Mother And Son
Notes From The Underground
One False Move
Sátántangó
Slacker
Underneath, The

In response to your question, I haven't seen Notes from the Underground (which never blipped on my radar) and The Hairdresser's Husband (as part of a concerted effort to avoid Leconte's films since I find their tastefulness stultifying) and probably not Blue Steel (but it seems eerily familiar, so maybe I have). I have the best intentions of seeing the Underneath but have yet to get around to it - this is probably a good time to do so!

Calendar, Mother and Son, Satantango and Slacker are on my short list. Despite my tremendous affection for the last of these, it probably won't squeak into my top 50, but I think it did last time. Summer and Winter are my favourite of Rohmer's cycle - everybody should check the whole sequence out for this installment of the lists project - but I don't know where or if they'll place. I loved The Butcher Boy at the time - surely this is Jordan's best film? - but I'd need to see it again before including it.

The only film on the list that I've seen and really don't like is Autobus / Aux yeux du monde, but nevertheless I prefer it to Rochant's previous film A World without Pity (a shame the ban couldn't extend to self-pity for that one).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#74 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:29 pm

colinr0380 wrote:zedz, I have copies of To The Starry Island, The Boys and L'eau froide that I have not yet sat down to watch, so I'll promise to do so in time for the deadline following your recommendation!
When did Starry Island come out with subs -- I've been waiting on this and A Petal (and The Housemaid) for ever.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#75 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:58 pm

Some essential 90s films, part one

Isao Takahata's Omohide poro poro / Only Yesterday (1991) -- not only my favorite animated feature film of the 1990s -- but one of my favorite films of the decade.

Shinji Somai's Ohikkoshi / Moving (1993) -- unsubbed Japanese DVD exists, never found any subtitles for this online -- I will provide narration, of sorts, for anyone who visits Boston. A remarkable film -- with long segments having no dialog. Almost surely influenced by the animated films of Takahata (and later, in turn, an influence on Spirited Away). 12-year old Tomoko Tabata's performance is one of the best by a 12 year old ever.

Hirokazu kore-eda's Maboroshi no hikari / Maborosi (1995) and Wandafaru raifu / After Life (1998) -- If forced to pick only one, I don't know which I'd pick. The Japanese version (and possibly other Asian ones) totally supersede the earlier US release of Maborosi (alas no good film sources were made available -- despite Milestone's best efforts). The US release of AfterLife is okay (but a bit drab and open-matted).

Takeshi Kitano also presents a dilemma -- Ano natsu, ichiban shizukana umi / A Scene at the Sea (1991) or Sonatine (1993). Still my two favorite Kitano films (despite many fine ones since then).

Kiarostami's Wind Will Carry Us (1999) -- My favorite of AK's many wonderful films. Funny -- and beautiful -- and a bit eerie. The French DVD (with subs) may still be the benchmark release for this.

Hou Hsiao Hsien's Good Men, Good Women (1995) comes out ahead of the other HHH films, but only by a bit. Formally, story-wise and visually excellent. Rivette loathed it. Bad on him....

Rivette's Haut bas fragile / Up Down Fragile (1995) -- Again hard to pick, but I feel the most affection for this one (Rivette's quasi-musical) overall.

If I had to name the director who made the most 90s films I love, it would be Zhang Yimou. If I thought others could see it, I'd vote for Keep Cool (1997). But practicality might force me to name Qiu Ju instead (the film that proved Gong Li was a wonderful actress -- even without makeup and while wearing worse than shapeless clothes). Really too many good films to choose from, however.