The Lists Project

An ongoing survey of the Criterion Forum membership to create lists of the best films of each decade and genre.
Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

Re: The Lists Project

#2151 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:05 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:48 pm
+ Does anyone care about Lumet to do a List Project? I'm skeptical when far more well-liked directors here failed to make the cut last time. If someone makes a convincing argument I may add him to the poll
I'd be interested in that one just because I've seen very few of his films so far.

Mr Sausage
Not PETA approved

#2152 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:16 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:56 pm
I think a studio-specific list sounds intriguing, though I fear for Hammer it's too close to an existing List (Horror)
I think the problem is that studio specific lists are going to tend to be close to existing lists, whether genre or decade, by nature.

I'd also love to do an action list. As a whole, the action genre lends itself to a lot of political and cultural discussion (especially when looking across different decades and nations). Plus, you know, they're a lot of fun.

knives

#2153 Post by knives » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:39 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:56 pm
Romance was nixed in the last poll. I tried to get interest in a France List and no one thought it was a good idea, but my regular viewings are already a France List so whatever. I think a studio-specific list sounds intriguing, though I fear for Hammer it's too close to an existing List (Horror)
That's unfortunate, though maybe that's because of the ready made surplus of French films (I'm not particularly favorable to the country and it still is the second most scene by me). I wonder then if a less obvious country (though still abundantly popular) like Japan or Italy would do better at the polls?
Also a pox on those that voted against romance.

Werewolf by Night

#2154 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:51 pm

Any interest in a John Huston auteur list? It’s hard to get a read on his reputation here.

knives

#2155 Post by knives » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:58 pm

I'd be down.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2156 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:01 pm

Oh my God you guys, please read the post I linked to, I can't keep saying the same thing haha

Werewolf by Night

The Lists Project

#2157 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:11 pm

Sorry, I did read it but overlooked Huston’s name. I retract my suggestion (and I guess my estimation of his reputation here has been confirmed).

Rayon Vert

#2158 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:13 pm

I interrupted it a while back, but personally I've been doing Borzage. I've got 28 of his - Criterion's release of Moonrise will bring it up to 29. And there are other films available from him, as I didn't get everything I could.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2159 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:42 pm

Werewolf by Night wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:11 pm
Sorry, I did read it but overlooked Huston’s name. I retract my suggestion (and I guess my estimation of his reputation here has been confirmed).
It's okay, I just thought it was getting a bit like vaudeville in here!

Honestly, if enough of our regular contributors to the List Projects think they'd participate in a previously nixed list idea, make it known and I'll put it up in this year's poll

Rayon Vert

#2160 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:49 pm

By nixed, if you mean those "no longer in contention" based on previous surveys, I'd be up for: New German Cinema, Altman, Cukor, Huston, Chabrol, Wyler

Has someone ever proposed spy films?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2161 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:54 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:49 pm
By nixed, if you mean those "no longer in contention" based on previous surveys
Yep!

BenoitRouilly

#2162 Post by BenoitRouilly » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:27 pm

I like these Top50 decade lists

I made this list a while ago : the greatest decades in order the 60ies, the 2000s, the 50ies, the 90ies, the 20ies...
Image from Screenville

diamonds

#2163 Post by diamonds » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:37 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:49 pm
Has someone ever proposed spy films?
I'm really curious if there are "enough" films for this. The Spy Who Came in from the Cold and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy would constitute one of my favorite "genres," but I haven't been too successful finding other films that feel like them – slow-moving spy dramas versus films with spies that tend toward action or crime. If anything, I'd love to see (and participate in) a list project like this for the discovery aspect.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2164 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:44 pm

As stated earlier, I'm going to make another poll for upcoming lists. There is some carryover for lists nixed last time, but I will not be putting up suggestions from the last poll that bombed terribly (sorry about Cukor, Rayon Vert). I will not be putting up suggestions that have already been confirmed for a future list. Here is what I have, which is mostly potential auteur lists:
Claude Chabrol
Brian de Palma
Werner Herzog
John Huston
Otto Preminger
Steven Spielberg
Billy Wilder
William Wyler

Cesar Best Film nominees and winners
Shakespeare Adaptations
I will make a thread with a link to the poll, which will be a thirty day poll like last time, when it's ready. If anyone has any good suggestions that have not already been confirmed or nixed, please speak now or wait another year for me to do this again (maybe)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2165 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:53 pm

Survey is live -- if you have any questions, feel free to ask them here

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2166 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:45 am

Last day to vote-- due to some last minute contributions I don't think I have to worry about it, but last night we had a worst case scenario going on, with a three way tie for third place, which would have been amusing. The line between making and not making the cut is still obtainable (two directors are two votes away from forcing a tie), and let me emphasize again that you won't be voting for a List Project again for some time-- I've run the numbers, I will be able to provide a schedule through 2022 once the results are finalized here. Who knows if we'll even have movies that far into the future

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2167 Post by domino harvey » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:11 am

Final results of polling from 32 members: Chabrol and Wilder tied for first, with Preminger just behind. The Wilder List will include films he wrote but did not direct, since otherwise his output is too low. For those curious, the short-lived three way tie was between Preminger and Wyler and Soderbergh-- better luck next time, fellas! Wyler and Soderbergh were way ahead of Wilder and Preminger up until the last couple days, and Chabrol was always in the lead from the start (thank you everyone for realizing your error). In four years Soderbergh will probably have another thirty qualifying films, anyways. Shakespeare List is a go, the Horror and Musicals Reduxes will not run concurrent with other non-decade lists, and the Cesar Awards "List" will be an on-going affair like the Alt Best Pictures-- though we will be finally tabulating those this spring in a massive three-way Oscar List! I will be creating the Cesar Awards thread soon...

So, what does this mean? Well, below is our schedule through 2022. Other than the Oscar, Horror, and Chabrol lists, which I purposely scheduled, the order of all other post-Allen lists was decided with a random generator

10/18 - 12/18 Pre-Code Hollywood Mini List
12/18 - 02/19 Screwball Comedies Mini List
02/19 - 03/19 Woody Allen Auteur List
03/19 - 05/19 Best Picture Mini List Trio: Nominees (thru 1968) + Nominees (1969-Present) + Winners (All Years)
06/19 - 08/19 Claude Chabrol Auteur List
08/19 - 09/19 Shakespeare Adaptations Mini List
10/19 - 04/20 Horror List Redux
04/20 - 05/20 Billy Wilder Auteur List
06/20 - 07/20 Howard Hawks Auteur List
08/20 - 02/21 Sci-Fi List
03/21 - 04/21 Otto Preminger Auteur List
05/21 - 06/21 Best First Features Mini List
07/21 - 08/21 RW Fassbinder Auteur List
08/21 - 09/21 Akira Kurosawa Auteur List
10/21 - 11/21 Czechoslovak New Wave Mini List
11/21 - 03/22 Musicals List Redux

swo17

#2168 Post by swo17 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:23 am

Looks great! Let's just hope that's enough time for Arrow or whoever to upgrade a sizable chunk of Chabrol's output.

Werewolf by Night

#2169 Post by Werewolf by Night » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:43 am

Can I get a list of all the people who didn’t vote for Wyler so I can add them to my “foes” list?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2170 Post by domino harvey » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:10 pm

It was close. I may just end up tacking Wyler and Soderbergh onto the end of our schedule since it's so long already, but let's see how I feel in four years, Jesus Christ

Rayon Vert

#2171 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:22 pm

Sounds great. I'm happy the horror and sci-fi projects are of six months' duration, and I like the way they're all spread out.

BenoitRouilly

#2172 Post by BenoitRouilly » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:43 pm

I was eyeing on the Czech New Wave list but I'll be dead by then...
Why so heavy on Americans until late 2021 (except for Chabrol)?

Werewolf by Night

The Lists Project

#2173 Post by Werewolf by Night » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:59 pm

There are lists on Renoir and Godard in progress right now. Before that were Buñuel, Lang, and Bergman. In fact, the Ford list in progress right now is the first ever Auteur list for an American director.

BenoitRouilly

#2174 Post by BenoitRouilly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:59 am

I didn't know that. Thanks

Minkin

#2175 Post by Minkin » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:24 am

I have an idea which I want to run by folks and see if anybody might be interested in doing this project.

On another film forum I use, they have a lot of "movie watching challenges" - most of which we have parallels here - with our decades project / genres / etc. But there was one challenge that I thought would be interesting for the members here - a "watch a film from each country of the world (or each US state)." So the challenge isn't to find the best of each nation's cinema - but to push our boundaries and try and seek out films that we'd otherwise overlook. For we talk endlessly about the same 20 or so country's films, but never anything about the cinema of Papua New Guinea / Belize / Seychelles / etc.

(If this gets going) I'd post rules about what constitutes a nation's film; and set ground rules to try and force people to contribute some sort of review or pertinent discussion on the film / country they watched. There'd be no end date to the challenge. I think it would make for a nice leisurely project - as it only requires viewing a single film per country (any more would be up to choice) - and there's no pressure or deadlines (akin to the Alt-Oscars project).

I would also try to give some suggestions as to exploring the country a bit better so as to avoid people just marathoning through 10 of them over the weekend. For I've found tremendous value in connecting films with my research and discovery of that nation - and I gain a greater appreciation for both in the process. As often films from unfamiliar countries will deal with history / culture that is outside of our base knowledge - thus, exploring the country helps to unpack these references. I would never expect people to go quite as far as my partner and I have with the idea, but here are some of things that the two of us do for each country / state (that I'd post as ideas to help people explore a bit better than our usual cinephile comfort zone :-" ):

Watch a feature film (or bunch of shorts) and also a travelogue
Make some sort of local food dish + attempt to find some food item we can buy thats sourced from there
Take a Google Streetview tour
Look up phrases / slang
Listen to music from there
Lookup history / facts
Check out the tourism website / free info packet
Other relevant activities

Again - there'd be no deadlines, and one can do whatever they want with the concept - as long as they watch a film per country and post about it. But making it more interesting / fun in the process doesn't hurt either.

I'm not sure if it would be best to make countries separate from US states (+Canadian provinces + US territories) - or to just lump them all together in one super challenge. There's ~200 countries, so it won't be an easy task by any means.

So, please let me know what you think and also post if anyone is actually interested in this idea / longterm challenge! Also let me know if you have any suggestions.