It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Steven Soderbergh
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:20 pm 

Kirkinson wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if he's just doing these edits for his own edification and releasing them to the public because, he figures, why not?

I figured this too. More than fan edits, it's like music fans who re-do or salvage "lost" albums and post the results on the web (like completing SMiLE or trying to make a Let It Be that's faithful to the band's original intentions). Even if sharing was impossible, fans would still be doing these sort of projects for themselves.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:46 pm 

Am I imagining things, or is the PQ of the Soderbergh edit better than anything currently available on home video?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:56 am 

Does anybody know anything about if/when there'll be a Blu-ray release of Solaris? As far as I can tell almost everything else he's done has been released on Blu-ray. The Limey is the only other one I can think of right now that's also not on BD.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:06 am 

ivuernis wrote:
Does anybody know anything about if/when there'll be a Blu-ray release of Solaris? As far as I can tell almost everything else he's done has been released on Blu-ray. The Limey is the only other one I can think of right now that's also not on BD.

Kafka, Schizopolis, and The Good German are all unavailable on BD (as far as I know)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:57 pm 

mfunk9786 wrote:
Wonder what's going to happen to The Knick if Soderbergh is making movies again, and has to work that shooting schedule around the show? That's assuming Cinemax accepts the 4 year renewal proposal.

I was of the understanding that he wouldn't be directing the show anymore. [Caution, spoilers]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:02 pm 

And now Soderbergh is looking to direct a Panama Papers movie, written by Scott Z. Burns

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:39 am 

Steven Soderbergh Is Back to Destroy Hollywood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:47 pm 

The Narrator Returns wrote:

Jesus, why does the press feel the need to indulge in ridiculous hyperbole every time Soderbergh shifts gears with his career?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:34 pm 

For another installment of wacky Soderbergh headlines: Steven Soderbergh Says He’s Done Directing Studio Movies and Wants to Only Shoot on iPhones — Sundance 2018.

Quote:
The filmmaker has experimented with digital cinematography for years, going back to 2002’s “Full Frontal,” but found that the iPhone offered unparalleled quality. “People forget, this is a 4k capture,” said Soderbergh, who was long a passionate advocate for the high-end RED cameras. “I’ve seen it 40 feet tall. It looks like velvet. This is a gamechanger to me.”

"There’s a philosophical obstacle a lot of people have about the size of the capture device. I don’t have that problem. I look at this as potentially one of the most liberating experiences that I’ve ever had as a filmmaker, and that I continue having. The gets that I felt moment to moment were so significant that this is, to me, a new chapter."

It sounds like this has sort of been a long time coming; last year in a Logan Lucky interview expressed the following:

Quote:
I want everything smaller and lighter so I can put the lens anywhere I want as fast as possible. It’s still frustrating to try to get a camera somewhere and if it’s above someone you have to secure it so if it falls it’s not going to hurt somebody. I want a camera that you can just Velcro to the wall.

The iPhone would seem to satisfy those wants. His praise for the image quality makes has me quite excited to see how Unsane turns out. There's also some stuff in the article worth checking out about his different attempts to democratize filmmaking with experimental economic and release models.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:01 pm 

Also note: Soderbergh (like Fincher) supports RED, and may be surreptitiously laying the groundwork for RED's upcoming Hydrogen "phone". DPs, especially those in commercials, are already dealing with small cameras but not without artistic compromise (whatever the hell that means!). Despite what Soderbergh might say, higher resolution is not equal to "quality" cinematography.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:24 pm 

Soderbergh will produce, possibly direct the action-thriller Planet Kill, from an idea by Scott Z. Burns and Unsane writer James Greer

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7