Edward Yang

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

yoloswegmaster

Re: Edward Yang

#151 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:49 am

Taipei Story*

Calvin

#152 Post by Calvin » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:52 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:49 am
Taipei Story*
Sorry, brain fart.

Their previous Yang releases are somewhat redundant due to the Criterions, unless you want Taipei Story separate from the WCP box set, but they are lovely to look at:
SpoilerShow
ImageImageImage

yoloswegmaster

#153 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:10 am

The packaging does look nice but I've heard that the Nova Media releases are typically barebones when it comes to extras. Is that true?

Calvin

#154 Post by Calvin » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:37 am

Looking at their catalog, there's occasionally an interview or an audio commentary but the majority are nearly barebones. Taipei Story includes a commentary by critic Jeong Sung-il that, unsurprisingly, isn't subtitled. Similar to the Korean Film Archive releases, there's a bilingual booklet that doesn't seem to have been proofread by a native English speaker. It's perfectly readable, just a bit clunky.

Adam Grikepelis

#155 Post by Adam Grikepelis » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:00 am

I’ve been hoping someone’d release Taipei Story separately. Guess this might have to do! Though I really do wish I could buy a Taiwanese film from an east asian label for once, that doesn’t come in such excessive packaging.

EDIT: can you tell me where I could buy it from, Calvin? I just checked YesAsia & JSDVD Mall and neither have it listed. Cheers.

barbarella satyricon

#156 Post by barbarella satyricon » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:20 am

I have the Nova Media blu rays of the three Yang titles mentioned, and they are fairly barebones, as Calvin outlines above. Both Yi Yi and Taipei Story have commentaries by the film critic Calvin mentions, but, again, these are not subtitled.

On the upside, the English subs for the main features seemed thoroughly accurate when I viewed the discs. As mentioned above, it might be a handy way of getting Taipei Story outside of the WCF box.

Downside? Low-light scenes in all three films looked pretty noisy, as far as my untrained eye could tell. On the title screen for Yi Yi, there also seemed to be some stability issues. Don’t know if these issues are also present on the Criterion transfers.

A Brighter Summer Day comes in a steelbook with outer box, and the other two in standard cases with boxes. For my tastes, viewed in-hand, they’re just ho-hum, and the printed material inside is nothing special, but I do like the “Fullslip A” artwork for A Brighter Summer Day.

I picked these up as they were being released, as they were convenient options for for me to view the films, but for the English-speaking (English subtitle-reading) viewer/collector, I’d say, without looking up the respective specs or having viewed the transfers, that the Criterions are the obvious better bet.

Clarence

#157 Post by Clarence » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:59 am

barbarella satyricon wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:20 am
Downside? Low-light scenes in all three films looked pretty noisy, as far as my untrained eye could tell. On the title screen for Yi Yi, there also seemed to be some stability issues. Don’t know if these issues are also present on the Criterion transfers.
I had a similar issue with my Taiwanese blu of The Terrorizers. There was one dimly lit scene with such severe macroblocking I thought I was watching a stream for a second!

Calvin

#158 Post by Calvin » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:19 am

Adam Grikepelis wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:00 am
I’ve been hoping someone’d release Taipei Story separately. Guess this might have to do! Though I really do wish I could buy a Taiwanese film from an east asian label for once, that doesn’t come in such excessive packaging.

EDIT: can you tell me where I could buy it from, Calvin? I just checked YesAsia & JSDVD Mall and neither have it listed. Cheers.
I ordered direct from Nova. It took a month to arrive in the UK, but arrived in perfect condition.
barbarella satyricon wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:20 am
I picked these up as they were being released, as they were convenient options for for me to view the films, but for the English-speaking (English subtitle-reading) viewer/collector, I’d say, without looking up the respective specs or having viewed the transfers, that the Criterions are the obvious better bet.
I agree, there's no reason not to get the Criterion releases of Yi Yi and A Brighter Summer Day over these but it's great news that they're going to release some Yang that doesn't have a Criterion equivalent.

I don't have the equipment to take any screencaptures of the Taipei Story release, but to my untrained eye it looks pretty consistent with this site's review of the Criterion: "The film is grainy and grain can get heavier in the darker scenes"

They've also announced Eat Drink Man Woman, another CMPC title, so with any luck they'll also give us better-value in-print alternatives for the Hou and Tsai restorations that were released in Taiwan years ago.

zedz

#159 Post by zedz » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:05 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:10 am
The packaging does look nice but I've heard that the Nova Media releases are typically barebones when it comes to extras. Is that true?
Looks like A Brighter Summer Day comes with a soundtrack album.

barbarella satyricon

#160 Post by barbarella satyricon » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:12 pm

zedz wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:05 pm
Looks like A Brighter Summer Day comes with a soundtrack album.
Yes, about that soundtrack: I knew there was a reason I never played that CD more than once, but I didn’t have a chance to confirm that reason before posting yesterday.

Listening to (and skipping through) it now, and confirming that all the tracks are cover versions, not recordings by the artists most popularly associated with the songs (Elvis, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, etc).

If I’m not mistaken, the recordings are the ones that the kids in the band “perform” in the movie - i.e. the songs that the actors lip sync and pantomime to. The instrumentals and backing tracks (and if I’m going to uncharitable, the vocals too) all sound like karaoke.

Interesting extra, but not my idea of dinner music.

Adam Grikepelis

#161 Post by Adam Grikepelis » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:13 pm

Thanks Calvin. Of course, now with the Barnes & Noble sale coming soon, I'm still torn between which edition to buy. Guess I'll see on the day. I suppose one other consideration other thatn the AV, is how the subtitles compare between the two.