Robert Altman

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Anonymous

#301 Post by Anonymous » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:15 am

Having rewatched a few Altman movies in the last couple of months, I must say that The Long Goodbye has become my favorite. The performance by Elliott Gould is magnificent in every way, he really is Rip Van Marlowe, a 40s film noir protagonist in the flower-power 70s. Then there's Sterling Hayden as the wonderful drunk author Roger Wade, constantly calling Marlowe Marlboro. Add to that the intensely dramatic and at the same time funny scene on the beach when Henry Gibson says "Write the check, Roger!" repeatedly, or the hilarious scenes with the gangsters (a very funny looking certain Governor among them). Then there's the score, consisting of this one catchy tune, all the Hollywood references (I particularly liked the Walter Brennan impersonation) and the constant flux of the camera, always filming through something (glass, trees etc.)

Lino

#302 Post by Lino » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:21 pm

Robert de la Cheyniest

#303 Post by Robert de la Cheyniest » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:41 pm

Yikes I didn't know Carradine and Duvall were half-dead when the movie was made.

Lino

#304 Post by Lino » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:42 pm

Fox is re-releasing (this time individually) A Perfect Couple on April, 10 and A Wedding on June, 12.

shirobamba

#305 Post by shirobamba » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:55 pm

Annie,

do you know if a seperate release of "Quintet" is on the horizon as well?

Lino

#306 Post by Lino » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:20 pm

Don't know. Keep checking those etailers like I do.

Annie who? :wink:

Fletch F. Fletch

#307 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:09 pm

J. Hoberman has a rather lengthy piece on Elliot Gould and his career during the 1970s, in particular Altman's The Long Goodbye, in the latest ish of the Village Voice.

dx23

#308 Post by dx23 » Sun May 27, 2007 7:39 pm

Antoine Doinel

#309 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:40 am

Dr. T And The Women arrives August 28th in a new special edition.

malcolm1980

#310 Post by malcolm1980 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:12 am

This is the one Altman film I've seen I actively disliked.

Jeff

#311 Post by Jeff » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:02 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:Dr. T And The Women arrives August 28th in a new special edition.
Here is a newer announcement at DVD Active. The names of the new featurettes have changed since the Davis DVD announcement, but I suspect their content remains largely the same. I wasn't originally planning to upgrade this disc, but I may do so for the new "Altman's Apprenticeship: The Kansas City Years" featurette. I assume it is about the 60+ industrial shorts and documentaries that Altman directed for Kansas City's The Calvin Company from 1950 to 1955. After reading Altman on Altman, those are something that I really wanted to see. I'll definitely wait for reviews, but for $15, it may be worth a look.

MarioB

#312 Post by MarioB » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:08 pm

Vincent and Theo is an interesting film. It incorporates more of the biographical anomalies of Van Gogh's life, which it seems could have been assumption on Altman's part; I don't know since I haven't studied the artist's life. Judging from a few of his letters though, and his paintings, I don't think this depiction of Van Gogh is very interesting or purposeful. Tim Roth hardly seems to be acting. There's a strange jadedness in his manner that seems opposite to that striving for ideal, what could be perceived as naivete of Van Gogh. Despite all the hollywood leanings of Lust for Life, Kirk Douglass struck me as being more true to the artist. Tim Roth never gave me the sense that he did any of those paintings.

Much more to the film's credit is Theo-- not that he was very interesting as a character either, but because Paul Rhys is a great actor. Strange that I've never seen him until now.

But what do others make of this film? What purpose does it have? To introduce a different depiction of a beloved artist, and his brother? Beneath it all it seems to be a shallow exercise in film biography.

aox

#313 Post by aox » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:44 pm

I know many will hate this comment, but I really am starting to think my favorite Altman is Secret Honor even though I know that film isn't very indicative of his talents in regard to large cast direction such as Nashville, Short Cuts and Godsford Park.

But, I then wonder if I like Secret Honor merely for its content and any seasoned director would have delivered something comparable. Plus, it's all about P. Baker Hall, right?

Macintosh

#314 Post by Macintosh » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:53 pm

Favorite Altman film- Thieves Like Us.

feihong

favorite Altman film

#315 Post by feihong » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:46 pm

I always loved McCabe & Mrs. Miller best. But recently I saw California Split and I was bowled over. What a bittersweet story! Friendship seems in that picture the product of happenstance. I also re-watched Nashville recently and I was struck by how dark and cynical Altman's approach was in that film. If ever there was a movie dismayed by the political direction of America, Nashville wears that dismay with a fury.

Matt

Re: Robert Altman on DVD

#316 Post by Matt » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:43 am

stereo

#317 Post by stereo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:55 pm

Received WOD of Countdown yesterday; it looks 'okay' --not too far improved from the VHS though

Perkins Cobb

#318 Post by Perkins Cobb » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:21 pm

Except, Countdown is 'Scope on the DVD, right?

stereo

#319 Post by stereo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:43 pm

yes, I was just referring to the visual quality-- not especially 'cleaned up.' Case says: Widescreen 16x9, 2.4:1

MoonlitKnight

#320 Post by MoonlitKnight » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:46 am

Well, I'm not expecting it to be spotless -- I'm just glad to have on disc in some form in its correct OAR. I was personally starting to think we'd never see this one. And, hey, at least Warner's not merely sending us these titles in white cardboard sleeves. :wink:

BTW, last year was the first year since the production of DVDs began that an Altman film was not released in the format. Of his remaining films to be released, I'd put them in this order of priority:

1. [by a mile] "Brewster McCloud"
2. "H.E.A.L.T.H."
3. "That Cold Day in the Park"
4. "Streamers"
5. "Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean"

I don't really care about anything he did pre-"Countdown," any of his made-for-cable 80's stuff (except possibly "The Caine Mutiny Court Martial"), or "Jazz '34" (unless Criterion got hold of "Kansas City" and released it as an extra on the second disc, à la "The Lion Has Wings" with "The Thief of Bagdad"...but I don't see that happening 8-[ ).

tojoed

#321 Post by tojoed » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:22 am

"Streamers" has been released in the UK, by two different companies, one in 2008 and one coming in May.

LightBulbFilm

#322 Post by LightBulbFilm » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:09 pm

MoonlitKnight wrote:"Jazz '34"
Jazz 34 can be bought officially from Rhapsody Films at their website. I own the DVD, it's pretty basic, just the movie. No chapter stops, but the quality is actually good. I got my copy for $7, I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

Gregory

#323 Post by Gregory » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:04 pm

The cautious should avoid ordering from Rhapsody. My DVD of Jazz '34 arrived very scratched up along with two DVD-Rs that would not play due to being damaged. I have tried to contacted them about returns/refunds by phone, email, and through the form on the website and have been ignored at every turn, leaving me no recourse but to dispute the charge via my credit card.
If one DVD had arrived rattling around in its case, I'd think it came loose by accident during shipping. With three such DVDs out of an order of six titles, I have to think they were simply not packed correctly by the supplier.

LightBulbFilm

#324 Post by LightBulbFilm » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:18 am

Gregory wrote:The cautious should avoid ordering from Rhapsody. My DVD of Jazz '34 arrived very scratched up along with two DVD-Rs that would not play due to being damaged. I have tried to contacted them about returns/refunds by phone, email, and through the form on the website and have been ignored at every turn, leaving me no recourse but to dispute the charge via my credit card.
If one DVD had arrived rattling around in its case, I'd think it came loose by accident during shipping. With three such DVDs out of an order of six titles, I have to think they were simply not packed correctly by the supplier.
Wow, I must have gotten very lucky. My copy came, intact, no scratches, on its hub, perfect. It even played, and since I'm backing up my DVDs to a harddrive I backed it up and it backed-up perfectly. Maybe they've changed since?

stereo

#325 Post by stereo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:52 pm

I just got my Jazz '34 direct from Rhapsody tonight and it was packaged perfectly; not loose, no problems. It's too bad more of his performance work doesn't have official release yet. The Real McTeague, which I think about 5 people have seen is an amazing multimedia performance piece and Black & Blue is well worth seeing too. I'd still love to get my hands on Two By South or The Laundromat though. His TV work is really quite interesting, esp. during the 80s and 90s.

In terms of his early work, there is a Driver's Ed scare film DVD from Something Weird video that has one of his Calvin Company shorts on it (The Perfect Crime). Archive.org has another Calvin Co. film in 2 parts (The Magic Bond).

Corns-a-Poppin' (as writer only) is pretty awful, but it prefigures A Prairie Home Companion in some significant ways. Also as writer, Christmas Eve is available on DVD from nostalgiafamilyvideo although it is awful just as The Bodyguard is also not worth your time.

From his early TV days, The Roaring 20s work is really worth delving into although I'd really love to see anything from The Troubleshooters see the light of day. The Bus Stop work is interesting although I'm not much into the Combat or Bonanza stuff. Similarly I'm not into The Millionaire stuff; pretty formulaic. The Maverick episode is quite good as is the pilot for The Gallant Men. Hitchcocks are available and tasty. Oh, and the U.S. Marshal stuff is largely available on DVD and fun to watch.

Nightmare in Chicago is also worth watching too from the Countdown era. A Cold Day in the Park had a foreign release although the DVD is quite pixellated. The Delinquents has a good Australian DVD.