Lena Dunham

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
flyonthewall2983

Re: Lena Dunham

#626 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:07 am

Sad but true about YouTube. I have had a few good back-and-forths with people though, and try to stay out of the nonsense.

Jarpie

#627 Post by Jarpie » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:18 am

I'll try to clarify few more things from my posts. When I said that when I've tried to have civilized discussion on this subject, I meant generally around the internet not in this topic. People with the views similar to matrixschmatrix have probably had to deal with trolls or idiots trying to drown their message down so I find it understandable that it might be hard to tell between reasonable people who want to find common understanding and those who just wants to either troll or trying to get them stop. Maybe I've just happened to come across those who are most gung-ho.

Me and matrixschmatrix seem to disagree a lot on if women are only valued by their looks on society, and the reason why I don't see it that way is because I haven't seen it. It's not because I'd be blind to it but at least here in Finland it's not a case at all when I look at the broader picture. Women make up 40% of the finnish parliament, we have 9 female ministers in government from 18 (if you don't count our prime minister who is male), and I can guarantee you, they haven't been voted on or elected because of their looks. Women are also well presented in finnish business, for example I work for one of the largest finnish companies and we have many women working on in high-up positions who are well-regarded for their education and abilities - and this is not only company to do so.

There are certain heavily male-oriented areas such as sports where are problems with sexism but those are only small part of the society and do not represent the society as a whole. They are getting slowly better, probably not as quickly as some people would like to but the change will come as older generations leaves the any given field and are replaced with new, younger people with much more modern way of thinking.

I still claim that in TV and film they choose people based on their looks unless the person is funny, charismatic and/or very presentable, no matter which gender they are, just look at any tv-show presenter (news, talkshows, reality tv etc), almost all of them are thin and goodlooking. Tabloid rags and certain kind of magazines are by their nature thrash so I wouldn't even expect them to be anything else and they are aimed at the lowest common denominator, and those people will keep on lapping on the shit they produce because they love to read about scandals, gossip etc.

I'd love to hear examples from matrixschmatrix how it shows itself because I'm genuinely interested on where he's coming from, and maybe it's different on where he lives as I naturally don't see much of other societies other than some tv-shows from US and UK and they do not give a proper view on how the society is on more practical level.

matrixschmatrix

#628 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:54 am

I live in the US, where women make roughly 70 cents to the dollar vs males in similar jobs, where we've had 44 women serve in the history of the senate, and where those women who are in power have to deal like shit liike this endlessly, policing their appearance rather than saying anything about what they actually do. Perhaps you live in a post-sexist utopia- I sincerely hope so- but I absolutely do not, and neither do Lena Dunham or Anita Sarkeesian, and neither does the internet.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#629 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:25 am