Nicolás Pereda

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
StevenJ0001

Nicolás Pereda

#1 Post by StevenJ0001 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:41 pm

Is anybody else a fan of this guy's work? I think his films are amazing--minimalist in plot terms, but structurally audacious and rich with great characters and thematic surprises. You need a lot of patience, but the rewards are plentiful. At least one of his films blurs the line between docu and drama in a really striking way, too (Greatest Hits, 2012).

I'm tempted to order this DVD set, but the site doesn't even seem to offer ordering information. Does anybody have the set?

http://www.interior13.com/en/noticias/6 ... C3%8Dculas

repeat

Re: Nicolás Pereda

#2 Post by repeat » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:45 pm

I seem to remember recommending his stuff over here some time last year. I find his best stuff really inspiring, it's basically no budget at all, just a camera and his regular troupe and some of it is just sublime. I don't know why he doesn't get more exposure. I think Together is a minor masterpiece - the long take at the kitchen table where they "fall out" in real time is amazing. Summer of Goliath I found slightly disappointing for some reason of another. Would love to see Greatest Hits but it flew under the radar of all the festivals in my "area" (even one dedicated to Latin American cinema!)

Here's a nice chat with him and Gerardo Naranjo (who did Miss Bala) from a recent issue of BOMB.

Edit: shit, I see I've tried to plug his stuff three separate times in different connections last year, haha - plus Together is on my 2009 top ten list. It's available for streaming with English subs at least in some countries, and Summer of Goliath is available as free DVD quality download on Doc Alliance. I say start with Together.

AlexHansen

#3 Post by AlexHansen » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:11 pm

Goliath's also available on Fandor.

StevenJ0001

#4 Post by StevenJ0001 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:08 pm

repeat wrote:I seem to remember recommending his stuff over here some time last year. I find his best stuff really inspiring, it's basically no budget at all, just a camera and his regular troupe and some of it is just sublime. I don't know why he doesn't get more exposure. I think Together is a minor masterpiece - the long take at the kitchen table where they "fall out" in real time is amazing. Summer of Goliath I found slightly disappointing for some reason of another. Would love to see Greatest Hits but it flew under the radar of all the festivals in my "area" (even one dedicated to Latin American cinema!)

Here's a nice chat with him and Gerardo Naranjo (who did Miss Bala) from a recent issue of BOMB.

Edit: shit, I see I've tried to plug his stuff three separate times in different connections last year, haha - plus Together is on my 2009 top ten list. It's available for streaming with English subs at least in some countries, and Summer of Goliath is available as free DVD quality download on Doc Alliance. I say start with Together.
That discussion between Pereda and Naranjo is fantastic, thanks! Definitely gave me an insight into Pereda's ideas about "reality" and film. I love his comments that he'd like to be in a state where he was filming spontaneously at any time, so that the work would be indistinguishable from his non-filmmaking life.

StevenJ0001

#5 Post by StevenJ0001 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:10 pm

AlexHansen wrote:Goliath's also available on Fandor.
Thanks!

repeat

#6 Post by repeat » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:16 am

StevenJ0001 wrote:That discussion between Pereda and Naranjo is fantastic, thanks! Definitely gave me an insight into Pereda's ideas about "reality" and film. I love his comments that he'd like to be in a state where he was filming spontaneously at any time, so that the work would be indistinguishable from his non-filmmaking life.
Let's hope he gets a chance to do that at some point, I think his method of working would certainly be conducive for a higher output rate.

His criticism of explicating character psychology also totally clicks with me - I mean it's nothing new of course, but I do always tend to sympathize with this approach of the opposite. It never fails to amaze me when people criticize directors for leaving their characters' motivations unclear, as if they wanted cinema to be some kind of a ideal fantasy world where we would have an omniscient understanding of everyone and everything. Also a very interesting and important point that "capturing reality" is not necessarily the only possible motive for taking the opposite approach.

StevenJ0001

#7 Post by StevenJ0001 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:12 pm

repeat wrote:
StevenJ0001 wrote:That discussion between Pereda and Naranjo is fantastic, thanks! Definitely gave me an insight into Pereda's ideas about "reality" and film. I love his comments that he'd like to be in a state where he was filming spontaneously at any time, so that the work would be indistinguishable from his non-filmmaking life.
Let's hope he gets a chance to do that at some point, I think his method of working would certainly be conducive for a higher output rate.

His criticism of explicating character psychology also totally clicks with me - I mean it's nothing new of course, but I do always tend to sympathize with this approach of the opposite. It never fails to amaze me when people criticize directors for leaving their characters' motivations unclear, as if they wanted cinema to be some kind of a ideal fantasy world where we would have an omniscient understanding of everyone and everything. Also a very interesting and important point that "capturing reality" is not necessarily the only possible motive for taking the opposite approach.
Agreed--excellent points!

twicebilled

#8 Post by twicebilled » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:43 pm

StevenJ0001 wrote:Is anybody else a fan of this guy's work? I think his films are amazing--minimalist in plot terms, but structurally audacious and rich with great characters and thematic surprises. You need a lot of patience, but the rewards are plentiful. At least one of his films blurs the line between docu and drama in a really striking way, too (Greatest Hits, 2012).

I'm tempted to order this DVD set, but the site doesn't even seem to offer ordering information. Does anybody have the set?

http://www.interior13.com/en/noticias/6 ... C3%8Dculas
I was finally able to order and track down this set StevenJ0001. All the features are subtitled but sadly the interviews are not. I had to order them from the page here:
http://www.interior13.com/en/publicaciones

StevenJ0001

#9 Post by StevenJ0001 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:49 pm

Thank you so much twice-billed! I thought I had looked all over that site but I obviously hadn't looked hard enough! I will definitely be ordering this.

twicebilled

#10 Post by twicebilled » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:00 pm

Just so you know, the webstore reported an error after I placed my order. They never responded to my emails until after I opened up a paypal dispute. They apologized and said it was the holidays and over nighted the package. The e-mail that eventually got me some sort of actual contact was maximiliano@interior13.com. The packaging is alright, one of the digipacks is already partially unglued but I can't complain with the cost and how hard these were to actually track down.

StevenJ0001

#11 Post by StevenJ0001 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:19 pm

twicebilled wrote:Just so you know, the webstore reported an error after I placed my order. They never responded to my emails until after I opened up a paypal dispute. They apologized and said it was the holidays and over nighted the package. The e-mail that eventually got me some sort of actual contact was maximiliano@interior13.com. The packaging is alright, one of the digipacks is already partially unglued but I can't complain with the cost and how hard these were to actually track down.
Thank you for that information! I'll cross my fingers that it goes smoothly. Are you happy with the discs themselves? I suspect most of the films may be standard definition video so I am not expecting too much in the way of picture quality. Just having the films will be a treat, though.

thirtyframesasecond

#12 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:29 am

Oh dear, I would've been these for my university library but not for $1000

TMDaines

#13 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:05 pm

What university is ever going to pay that kind of absurd fee? Do what virtually every other one does and just buy a standard release.

thirtyframesasecond

#14 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:00 pm

TMDaines wrote:What university is ever going to pay that kind of absurd fee? Do what virtually every other one does and just buy a standard release.
I think having it sent to a university address might look odd. There are ways and means around it though.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#15 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:08 pm

I like universities when they pay ridic bucks for some OOP book or DVD on Amazon Marketplace that you'd think would never sell at the price you've set