Whit Stillman

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
knives

Re: Whit Stillman

#26 Post by knives » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:55 am

I actually like it more than Metropolitan as his film making abilities have finally caught up to his writing.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#28 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:47 pm

The pilot is up for free on Amazon for those with Prime. As ever, Amazon requests its viewers to decide what pilot gets picked up, which is a disaster for a show like this. So it will probably not get picked up seeing as how it is the lowest rated out of the five pilots they've posted this round and the top comment is "This is so boring!" Amazon should just ignore them of course but I am not optimistic despite the fact that giving the world an entire season of Whit Stillman dialogue is exactly the kind of thing society needs to average out some of the horrible stuff that's been happening elsewhere

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#29 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:55 am

bearcuborg

#30 Post by bearcuborg » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:32 pm

His 3 films of the 90s were wonderful. But I found Damsels pretty joyless, with the exception of Megalyn Echikunwoke. Even his expansion of Disco,
The Last Days of Disco, With Cocktails at Petrossian Afterwards, lacked the charm of his first 3 films. I will get around to Cosmopolitan eventually, as he'll always get the benefit of the doubt from me.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#31 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:23 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#32 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Alluded to his next project as the Gold Diggers of 2019. Given how many of his tweets lately have been defending/bolstering 30s American Cinema, I think we can reasonably guess what this means..

John Shade

#33 Post by John Shade » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:55 pm

Please elaborate about what this could mean...(excited regardless)

By the way, I've never seen his Amazon show, and though this is in no way impressive, it would mean I'd seen everything he's done (I used to like to say I'd read everything by Salinger also). Another way of saying this is, it's another piece of his work for me to memorize. Anyway, can I still see it?

bearcuborg

#34 Post by bearcuborg » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:33 pm

You saw his Homicide: Life on the Streets episode as well? Unfortunately I don’t think any of work since have come close to his 90s output.

In the past (and I suppose present) Stillman has expressed admiration for Rogers and Astaire movies.

John Shade

#35 Post by John Shade » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:18 am

I know I posted here over a year ago, but I still haven't seen The Cosmipolitans and I've seen it come up a few times in other online film communities. One last plea (for now), anyone know how I can access it?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#36 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:20 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:17 pm
Alluded to his next project as the Gold Diggers of 2019. Given how many of his tweets lately have been defending/bolstering 30s American Cinema, I think we can reasonably guess what this means..
Now on track to be the Gold Diggers of 2021, according to a recent tweet

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#37 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:38 am

The Cosmopolitans will return as a swashbuckling European adventure series with the same cast in a new context as spies: Knights Without Armour AKA Paris Knights AKA the Cosmopolitans: the Plot Against the Prince

diamonds

#38 Post by diamonds » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:15 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:38 am
The Cosmopolitans will return as a swashbuckling European adventure series with the same cast in a new context as spies: Knights Without Armour AKA Paris Knights AKA the Cosmopolitans: the Plot Against the Prince
It sounds like this is moving forward under the title The Splendid Affinities:
The show is set 30 years after the end of the Soviet era, where the fictional Baltic republic of Vronyia is under threat along with the life of its beloved Prince Michael, elder statesman of the country’s return to democracy. Violence extends to London, Paris and Madrid and the main characters have to save the nations in the most stylish way possible, with dreams of finding love while doing so.
Very exciting!

hearthesilence

#39 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:25 pm

This is great. Over the past year or two, Stillman and also Mike Leigh for that matter (neither of whom have directed a film in a while) mentioned how they couldn't get any projects off the ground due to lack of funding, and now things have completely turned around for them.

therewillbeblus

#40 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri May 19, 2023 5:15 pm

Pre-order for the cool-sounding book Whit Stillman: Not so long ago, courtesy of Fireflies Press

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#41 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 19, 2023 6:15 pm

Ordered. Thanks for the heads up!