Jean Grémillon

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Jean Grémillon

#176 Post by swo17 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:37 am

It could use the PQ boost though, so great news!

HerrSchreck

#177 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:16 pm

Good news on PATTES if true.. like that film quite a bit, an odd synthesis of narrative elements. As mentioned it could def use a nice wash and blow dry in terms of PQ.

GARDIENS DU PHARE seems to have survived in excellent condition, if the excerpts on the Grem doco are any indicator. . . And the sequences presented therein are just dazzling. This film requires formal release so that it can be recovered into the canon for modern analysis... Not to mention how already egregious this mans total neglect is in the english speaking world. If the films of Kirsanoff and Epatein cam be recovered, along with the silent and early sound work of Raymond Bernard and the Feyder silents.. the uneven silents of L'Herbier and Gance. . . Stuff like Shimizu being bravely presented to an almost cpmpletely oblivious buying public... then certainly this French master who has in his sound era canon some of the very best... if not the best... performances of the hugely popular Jean Gabin whom CC's audience gobbles up greedily, surely at least some of these are not anything of a comparitive risk. It really perplexes me. MALDONE, okay. . that may be material for the bigger risk takers in the realm of silents. But the Gabin-Michele Morgan titles. Incredible the English speaking market and CC in particular, going back to LD and VHS, just continue blowing this guy off. And I'm sure rights ain't the issue either.

Rant over. For landsakes. . .

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#178 Post by swo17 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:40 pm

In fact, CC already has the rights to at least Remorques and Le ciel est à vous, which are available for streaming on their Hulu channel.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#179 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:56 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:Good news on PATTES if true..
Would I lie to you??...it's from the horse's mouth no less.

HerrSchreck

#180 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:43 pm

Eh? Dont take it so personal, bro.. Didn't you say up there that they "hinted " it'll be out "by the end of the year"? A hint with some vague way-off date is not a rock solid confirmation.

CC also "hinted " that there would be an Eclipse set when they put the E line to market. And we're still waiting. NABOB OF NOWHERE is not a dvd line so rest I have no cause to doubt that entity!

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#181 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:02 pm

The director of Gaumont Jérome Soulet said to expect Pattes 'under the Xmas tree'. So there you go.
Re Gardiens it's showing at the National Maritime Museum in Paris in a programme dedicated to films about lighthouses at the end of march. Epstein's in there too. Time to book a cheap flight ??
http://www.voilesnews.fr/fr/info_21_31569.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

whaleallright

#182 Post by whaleallright » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:42 am

I read this as a series comprising "films about lighthouses at the end of March" -- since "films about lighthouses in the middle of July" were already the subject of a comprehensive retro at Bologna.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#183 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:45 am

For want of a comma the ship was lost.

cysiam

#184 Post by cysiam » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:01 pm

Starting Saturday the National Gallery in DC will be doing a program on Gremillon.

http://www.nga.gov/programs/film/gremillon.shtm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#186 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:53 pm

Gremfest kicked off tonight at Filmhouse with Remorques. Stellar print courtesy of Cinematheque de Toulouse, apparently the best extant copy. Morgan's lacrimose eyes the proverbial silvery limpid pools. At the finale Gabin's rain-lashed face commanding 'Avance 60 tours!' brought a collective welling up amongst the 60 souls gathered there.
According to the projectionist all 35 mm prints save DCP for the digitally restored Lumiere and a 16mm print for Amour d'une femme. Gardiens is the tinted Tokyo restoration. Anyone within striking distance. Avance 60 tours.
Symposium and Lumiere tomorrow.

GaryC

#187 Post by GaryC » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:39 pm

At the risk of making David's head spin even faster, presumably the same retrospective plays at the BFI Southbank in London in July.

A man stayed-put

#188 Post by A man stayed-put » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:40 am

GaryC wrote:At the risk of making David's head spin even faster, presumably the same retrospective plays at the BFI Southbank in London in July.
Fantastic news, London here I come! From everything I've read (including david hare and Screck's excellent posts on this forum) the chance to finally see Gueule d'amour pretty much justifies the exorbitant train fare.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#189 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:00 pm

A few titbits from the GremSympo.
A copy of Astrologie has been found and will be shown during the programme. Amazingly it turned out to be 30 minutes long instead of the reported 12 min length. Apparently a world premiere half a century late.

La Petite Lise is under an embargo from Pathé. The good news (perhaps) is that it is undergoing a full restoration. Let's hope it's the team that did Tess and the Tourneur set and not Equipe du Paradis.

The opening music was the score to Tour au large. A few pages back and you will see the correspondence kicked off by pianola (Rex Lawson) about having found the original Pleyel rolls in a street market.
Well, during his paper about Grem's use of music and his influences Ricardo....(I'll check his name later and even try and get a copy of his paper) mentioned he had seen dear old Rex play it in a concert at Berkley and had followed the exchanges here on this very forum.

In the internet everyone can hear you scream.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#190 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:13 pm

Now that Gremfest is up and running in London perhaps more people can catch up on these rare showings,mostly on 35mm prints, which for the most part were the best examples we are ever likely to see projected. Particularly the shorts which I believe to be a first for the UK, certainly the re-discovered Astrologie. Rumour has it that Montparnasse are considering a collection of these for DVD but whisper it doucement. Unfortunately a hospitalised missus and emergency dash to vet with dog meant I lost out on the last screenings including David Cairns doc on Natan but hopefully someone else will get to see and comment.

pianola

#191 Post by pianola » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:55 am

Hello gang. Invisible man here. I'm 65 years old for my sins, with a long beard, now fairly uniformly white. The rumours of my performing Tour au Large in Berkeley are substantially correct, and indeed you can hear, yes hear, an excerpt of about four minutes on the web. Start here:

http://radiom.org/detail.php?omid=OMP.2012.11.03.2.A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go to the bottom of the page, and click on the very last word, "Listen".

A new, small, blank window will appear. Then you have to wait for rather longer than you might think, until a list of 15 musical items is displayed, with a spoken introduction playing automatically. Click on the last of the list, no. 15, and hey presto, it's "Tour au Large". If you want to see the beard in action (not necessarily recommended!), there are some photos on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=rex+lawson+berkeley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't want the whole piece to be recorded, for various reasons. The main one is that I haven't seen either the film or a score, and there are absolutely no dynamic indications on the roll, so I don't want to deliver an inadequate performance to the world, to be copied on to YouTube for a generation. What I would love is to see anything that remains of the film, which might give some clues as to whether there are scenes of the fish being offloaded to market, fishermen whistling and so on, in addition to the obvious raging sea, engine and bell sounds. But Nabob suggests that a score exists, which means that there might indeed be marked dynamics and indeed barlines. How would I get a copy?

My invitation to David stands, as it does to anyone within striking distance of Hither Green. The roll belonged to F. Castillo, who was in charge of music for Ciné Latin in Paris in the 1920s, and from handwritten notes on another of the rolls which I found, he was obviously friendly with the people at Pleyel, who perforated it.

Happy listening!

Rex

pianola

#192 Post by pianola » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:47 pm

I'm going to settle down in a minute. It's dawning on me that the music of Tour au Large that was played at the Grémillon symposium in Edinburgh must have been the same excerpt that I have just linked to in my previous post, being the recording from my concert in Berkeley. Anyway, my comments on my earnest desire to see any surviving bits of the film still stand. There is rumoured to be a lady professor in south-west France who has some rushes, but I never got anywhere by email.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#193 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:56 am

Yes and hello Rex from me too. I spoke about you to Riccardo ??? who delivered a paper on Gremillon's music at the EIFF symposium. He said he would send me a copy when he had revised it and if you like i can forward that to you or anyone interested if I am allowed. He confirmed that Tour au Large has to be considered lost and that only 3 minutes or so of the rushes or maybe just the location scouting shots (repérages) exist and have been shown, but not at Edinburgh. If I ever pass through Hither Green I'll come knocking. Don't forget to look at the BFI Southbank Gremillon programme that's running while you can.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#194 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:16 pm

Grem featured in the current Cahiers du Cinema.

whaleallright

#195 Post by whaleallright » Tue May 06, 2014 6:20 pm

"The following articles are recent appreciations of Jean Grémillon's films by current Cahiers editor-in-chief Stéphane Delorme and curator and film theorist Dominique Païni, a former head of the Cinémathèque Française. Dominique Païni’s article was originally published as part of Cahiers' "Eleven Stations for a Poetic History of French Cinema," an alternative history of French cinema inspired by the release of Leos Carax’s "Holy Motors." Stéphane Delorme’s text was included in a special section of the magazine dedicated to rediscovering Jean Grémillon."

http://www.indiewire.com/article/cahier ... -gremillon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(oddly, Païni misses or neglects to mention the rather direct citation of/borrowing from La Petite Lise in the opening scenes of Les Amants du Pont Neuf)

FWIW, the magazine Positif has done much more than Cahiers to keep up Grémillon's reputation over the years. I wish I had the citation to hand (I'll try to find it later) put they published a chunky dossier on Grémillon some time in, I believe, the late 1990s (in addition to publishing a variety of articles about his work at other times). The dossier included the first publication of a marvelous appreciation by Grémillon of Broken Blossoms, originally written for a ciné-club screening. I may be able to upload a PDF.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#197 Post by Drucker » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:51 pm

Can someone more knowledgeable about Gremillion than I recommend which are must-sees, that are outside of the Eclipse sets? Would definitely love to catch a silent or two.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#198 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:57 pm

Dainah la métisse
Pattes blanches
La petite Lise
Maldone

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#199 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:29 pm

La Petite Lise- Use of sound blows M out the water.

Cold Bishop

#200 Post by Cold Bishop » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:46 pm

I'll cosign swo's picks, especially the last two, but I also need to point out that, unless something's changed, Gardien de phare and June 6th are still his rarest and most impossible to see, with no circulating bootlegs that I'm aware of.