David Lynch

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
knives

Re: Crazy Clown Time (Lynch)

#401 Post by knives » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:43 pm

duck duck wrote:imdb lists a short by David Lynch called "Crazy Clown Time" does anyone know if this actually exists and where it can be seen?
http://vimeo.com/39699790" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JimmyTango

Re: Crazy Clown Time (Lynch)

#402 Post by JimmyTango » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:40 am

duck duck wrote:imdb lists a short by David Lynch called "Crazy Clown Time" does anyone know if this actually exists and where it can be seen?
He ripped off Crispin Glover's Clowny Clown Clown?

Alan Smithee

Re: David Lynch

#403 Post by Alan Smithee » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:01 pm

So supposedly Lynch is working on Twin Peaks season 3 but this is wildly speculative from an entirely unsubstantiated source.

hearthesilence

#404 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:17 pm

I've seen the whole series run, and I'm kind of surprised I don't remember that moment with Sherilyn Fenn.

Mathew2468

#405 Post by Mathew2468 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:20 pm

I'm surprised that it took me so long to realise that the show was named after her:

JamesF

#406 Post by JamesF » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:22 am

Alan Smithee wrote:So supposedly Lynch is working on Twin Peaks season 3 but this is wildly speculative from an entirely unsubstantiated source.
Mark Frost seems to deny it.

Finch

#407 Post by Finch » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:55 am

Well, at least Frost shot it down quickly but it is/was an exciting prospect especially if they did go with the "25 years later" idea. Bob and Donna would have to recast (Silva died in 94 of AIDS, and Lara Flynn Boyle had plastic surgery) and since they already recast her for FWWM, they might as well ask Moira Kelly to come back (who I thought was a better fit for the character than Boyle). Major Briggs would still be missing and Pete Mortell could have been killed with Andrew Packard in the bank explosion.

Not sure though if they did it bring back, that it'd be best served by being on a network channel like NBC (though my understanding is that they own the rights to the show). HBO would seem more accommodating to Lynch's style.

aox

#408 Post by aox » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:48 pm

I believe the original source was 4Chan.

Finch

#409 Post by Finch » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:33 pm

Napier

#410 Post by Napier » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:36 pm

Matt

#411 Post by Matt » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:36 pm

That's several years old, from the Inland Empire DVD.

Napier

#412 Post by Napier » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:18 pm

Matt wrote:That's several years old, from the Inland Empire DVD.
Sorry. I didn't realize it might have been posted there. I just thought it was most excellent. And a little creepy.

Tommaso

#413 Post by Tommaso » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:27 am

It's about the weirdest and at the same time funniest short I've ever seen. A few friends and me actually set out to cook Quinoa once we had seen it. A very tasty dish indeed.

Gregory

#414 Post by Gregory » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:17 pm

A couple people already made comments to this effect on YouTube, but it's best to rinse the quinoa thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer, or else it can be left with a bitter aftertaste. IMO, he makes a lot of the common mistakes with quinoa there. It's better to measure out the water (2 parts to 1 part quinoa) to avoid getting too much, which can quickly make the quinoa mushy. After it cooks (15 minutes) it should be drained and then put back in the warm saucepan for about 5 minutes (not in a cold bowl) to help dry it out a little further.
I hope it doesn't come across like I missed the enjoyable purpose of these videos; I just hope this info helps people get better-tasting, non-mushy quinoa. He narrates his actions and tells stories in a way I would never even think of. You don't just enjoy a glass of wine while waiting for the quinoa, you have the wine because it buys you some time. I love it.

Finch

#415 Post by Finch » Wed May 15, 2013 5:35 pm

Calum Marsh on Fire Walk With Me
It's not hard to understand the enduring distaste. Fire Walk With Me is deliberately oblique, even by Lynch standards, asking questions without answers and providing clues to no mystery. Its narrative is split in two, seemingly without reason, a division introduced when our hero is apparently swallowed up by a gaping hole in the center of the picture (a hole he finds beneath a parked RV in America's least inviting trailer park, naturally).

Most gallingly, especially for audiences circa '92, the film purports to be a prequel to perhaps the most beloved cult television series of the decade, though in truth it's more interested in systematically dismantling the mythos and iconography of Twin Peaks than in pandering to the show's fanbase with some feature-length trip down TV-memory lane. The film is alarmingly dark. It isn't especially funny, or quirky, or even much in keeping with the spirit of the series. But in its own singular, deeply strange way, Fire Walk With Me is David Lynch's masterpiece.

It helps to think about genre. Like the series, the film plays in pastiche. Adopting conventions from the police procedural, daytime soap operas, post-war noir, and 1950s melodrama, Fire Walk With Me is a postmodern hybrid in flux, its style ever-drifting and its formal makeup a composite of self-conscious clichés. The purpose of all this appropriation, however, isn't merely to ironize outmoded forms or tropes—as it often is in the work of the Coen brothers—but to embrace those antiquated modes and deploy those old-fashioned tropes in earnest. The film uses melodrama, in particular, to replicate the function and goal of the genre: targeting the veneer of sanctity in the middle-class American home and exposing its hypocrisy and corruption.

If Fire Walk With Me seems like a nightmare, it's the same one reflected in James Mason's descent into suburban madness in Nicholas Ray's classic melodrama Bigger Than Life. And what's scary is that the nightmare is real. Fantasy was always a central, if only implied, component of the classical melodrama, animating the social aspirations and wish-fulfillment of a rising class founded on subjugation and fear. The melodrama sought to undermine the contradictions inherent in an imagined good life, its stories essentially bourgeois dreams inflated to grotesque proportions.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#417 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:39 pm

David to direct Trent

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#418 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:58 pm

And people he really likes, he lets them call him Jamie

Ibnezra

#419 Post by Ibnezra » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:28 am

I'm seeing a lot of Lynch's short films on Criterion's Hulu page, which is a great thing, but where's, "The Cowboy & The Frenchman"? :cry:

nolanoe

#420 Post by nolanoe » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:25 am

Probably lost.

That said: there are various sources claiming they have spoken to TP-actors who claimed Lynch is "working on a third season". [-o<

Robin Davies

#421 Post by Robin Davies » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:20 am

Ibnezra wrote:I'm seeing a lot of Lynch's short films on Criterion's Hulu page, which is a great thing, but where's, "The Cowboy & The Frenchman"? :cry:
It's been available for years on the Short Films DVD.

Ibnezra

#422 Post by Ibnezra » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:38 am

Well, I'm just hoping if his short films get a Blu-Ray Criterion release, they won't leave it off. It may seem odd, but it's my favorite thing he's done.

bainbridgezu

#423 Post by bainbridgezu » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:40 pm

Ibnezra wrote:Well, I'm just hoping if his short films get a Blu-Ray Criterion release, they won't leave it off. It may seem odd, but it's my favorite thing he's done.
I don't think it's odd at all; The Cowboy and the Frenchman is definitely among my very favorite Lynch-things. Of his shorts, I prefer it even to The Grandmother.

Unfortunately, MK2 (which holds Eraserhead and the Lynch shorts that are on Hulu) does not have the US rights for The Cowboy and the Frenchman.

However, it could still be bundled with Criterion's physical release of the other titles, as they've been able to package supplements from different licensors in the past. Badlands, for example, included an episode of American Justice borrowed from Sony.

Ibnezra

#424 Post by Ibnezra » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Here's hoping they expend the energy and the funds to include it.

I'd certainly purchase a Criterion release of "Eraserhead", but never a short films collection that failed to collect such a bizarre and strangely endearing farce as "The Cowboy and The Frenchman". It really captures Lynch's twisted sense of humor as well as any of his feature films, but without the disturbing twists that he explored even in the otherwise up, "Wild at Heart." It's as care-free as he ever got, and it's surprising he didn't drop his guard more often, because he really wears it well.

PfR73

#425 Post by PfR73 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:50 pm

If you haven't seen the NIN video, it was released a few months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RN6pT3zL44

I think parts of it are great (the footage of Reznor & the monsters), but other parts like the red squares & lines are a little silly. But overall I like it.