It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jacques Rivette
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:38 pm 

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
Jonathan Rosenbaum was also interviewed for the podcast and said it's taken New Yorker so long to release Celine and Julie on DVD because Dan Talbot doesn't even like the film. They never wanted to release it at all theatrically but the rights were too cheap to pass up.

That is just appalling. Hearing that just makes me livid with anger. So New Yorker holds on to the film, for some of us a potential desert–island film, so to speak, and keeping everyone who does love it from having the chance to do right by it because...why? They got a deal they couldn't resist? A deal they never planned to capitalize on? It's maddening.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:02 am 

I listened through the whole Projection Booth episode, which was very nicely done. The interview with Rosenbaum was the highlight for me, though I always like their discussions in the early part of the show, and I liked this one very much.

I do feel as though, really just because none of them had seen the film in a very long time, that all three hosts/guests downplayed the connection between Desperately Seeking Susan and Celine & Julie. I believe in her commentary on the film, Seidelman even mentions Celine & Julie as a large influence. Mike mentions the magic shows as a connection, which I can see for sure, but there are also whole sections where Roberta shadows Susan through the city streets. Susan carries a magic box full of treasures, and she has a jacket that is emblazoned with tarot–like imagery. And there's a sense in Desperately Seeking Susan of the leading ladies pursuing a kind of imaginary play space in a city whose realities have a sense of danger about them as well. I remember watching Desperately Seeking Susan and thinking that, if you were going to do a Hollywood remake of the Celine & Julie, this is exactly how it would have to come across, with a sense of mayhem and fussy plot contortions to create the motivations that come from deeper, less forced places in the Rivette film.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:09 pm 

Thank you so much for the shout out and the kind words!

You'll hear more of the Celine and Julie / Desperately Seeking Susan connection on our "Making Mr. Right" episode next year.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:25 pm 

The most recent CNC résultats du groupe experts reveals that Les Films du Veilleur have received funding to restore both parts of Jeanne la pucelle and Love on the Ground.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:53 pm 

That's brilliant news. Though I always wondered why a 1994 film like "Jeanne" could actually be in need to be restored and how the disastrous AE discs could happen in the first place...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:55 pm 
Dot Com Dom

God willing it's the original cuts and not the significantly shorter international cuts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:29 pm 

The AE Joan DVDs were brilliant compared to the utterly disastrous Facets set.

It was not, I think, any "international version" that was severely truncated, it was a devil's brew concocted by Facets, all on its own (with no real authorization or input by Rivette).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:07 am 

subliminac wrote:
Mary Wiles (author of Jacques Rivette from University of Illinois Press) announced on The Projection Booth podcast that L'amour fou will be receiving a home video release but would not say who the distributor was. Perhaps a Rivette Collection Volume 2 is in the works from Arrow?

Exciting! Was L'amour Fou ever approved by CNC for restoration funds? Or will the distributor just obtain the cleanest copy available?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:08 am 

Michael Kerpan wrote:
The AE Joan DVDs were brilliant compared to the utterly disastrous Facets set.

I severely disagree here. The first film looked somewhat acceptable, but "The Prisons" was a colour-bleeding, unsharp mess which would have even been a shame if it had been a VHS tape.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:17 am 

Petty Bourgeoisie wrote:
subliminac wrote:
Mary Wiles (author of Jacques Rivette from University of Illinois Press) announced on The Projection Booth podcast that L'amour fou will be receiving a home video release but would not say who the distributor was. Perhaps a Rivette Collection Volume 2 is in the works from Arrow?

Exciting! Was L'amour Fou ever approved by CNC for restoration funds? Or will the distributor just obtain the cleanest copy available?

It hasn't been, which is why I find the news that it's forthcoming surprising. I'm struggling to think of a restoration of a French film in the past few years that hasn't been funded by the CNC, let alone one that would be as undoubtedly expensive as L'amour fou.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:09 am 

Some great Rivette stuff in the new Senses Of Cinema, including this informative interview with Robert Fischer, who alludes to some sort of rights issue with "L'Amour Fou" which I, for one, didn't know about.

http://sensesofcinema.com/2016/jacques-rivette/robert-fischer-interview-out-1/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:27 am 

Glad you enjoyed it, kubelkind. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:40 pm 

rockysds wrote:

Those restorations will be screening at the NYFF.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:03 am 

Tommaso wrote:
After that, we'll only need a proper release of "Jeanne la Pucelle" to replace that awful AE edition, which curiously still is the only version of the complete, uncut film(s). "Jeanne" isn't even available in France, which seriously surprises me.
Watching this for the first time. Just finished Part 1 and put in the disc for Part 2. The first is OK-ish (though inferior to the transfer for La Belle Noiseuse), but something went dreadfully wrong with Part 2. It's like it's not from the same source or something.

Last edited by Rayon Vert on Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:05 am 
Dot Com Dom

I always thought it absurd that Artificial Eye sold these films only as separate releases, like someone would want one part but not the other

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:18 am 

So glad to hear those two/three get a restore!! Crossing my fingers for Bande des Quatre next!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:26 am 

I groggily watched the newly discovered shorts the other morning. It was a bit hard for me to get into not because it was Rivettian, but rather I wasn't prepared for the films being silent. The vibe was similar to the other shorts the Cahiers crowd made in the 50s tho these were made before the rest (the ones I know of at least). It was pretty cool to watch him experimenting with different shots as you definitely could find the origins of shots from Celine & Julie as well as L'amour fou with the whimsical playfulness of Out 1.

Perhaps I shouldn't have been, but I was very surprised by how heavily these shorts were influenced by Cocteau. The Hitchcock influence wasn't a surprise, but that it was Rope that he used was. Considering when they were made between 1950-52 it does make sense.

I wouldn't go as far as to say they're good, but they were very interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:32 am 

Cohen Media Group picks up the rights to 10 post 1983-features and the three early shorts: Variety news.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:38 am 

I suppose this makes an Arrow follow-up box using these new remasters inevitable once a few are available to license.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:02 am 

Black Hat wrote:
I groggily watched the newly discovered shorts the other morning. It was a bit hard for me to get into not because it was Rivettian, but rather I wasn't prepared for the films being silent. The vibe was similar to the other shorts the Cahiers crowd made in the 50s tho these were made before the rest (the ones I know of at least). It was pretty cool to watch him experimenting with different shots as you definitely could find the origins of shots from Celine & Julie as well as L'amour fou with the whimsical playfulness of Out 1.

Perhaps I shouldn't have been, but I was very surprised by how heavily these shorts were influenced by Cocteau. The Hitchcock influence wasn't a surprise, but that it was Rope that he used was. Considering when they were made between 1950-52 it does make sense.

I wouldn't go as far as to say they're good, but they were very interesting.

Thanks for the review - I considered going (they even had rush tickets available) - but I had a late night and didn't think I could stay awake for that screening. I was on the fence already because Rivette had described them as "apprentice" films, so I didn't have high expectations.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:32 am 
Dot Com Dom

rockysds wrote:
Cohen Media Group picks up the rights to 10 post 1983-features and the three early shorts: Variety news.

What is a "women's drama"?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:51 am 

No gas stations get destroyed in it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:08 am 

rockysds wrote:
10 post 1983-features

So it looks like everything through 2003 except for Va savoir:

Love on the Ground (1984)
Wuthering Heights (1985)
Gang of Four (1989)
La Belle Noiseuse (1991)
Divertimento (1992)
Jeanne la Pucelle I (1994)
Jeanne la Pucelle II (1994)
Up, Down, Fragile (1995)
Secret défense (1998)
The Story of Marie and Julien (2003)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:27 am 

Well this is very exciting especially given the quality of Cohen's extras. Band of Four in HD is an amazing prospect.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:32 am 

Absolutely exciting indeed as I slept on getting the AE edition of La Belle Noiseuse for too long and avoided their Jeanne la Pucelle DVDs like the plague. Now if only we'll learn which label has L'Amour fou.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next