Michael Mann

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
TedW

Re: Michael Mann

#76 Post by TedW » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:05 pm

knives wrote:
TedW wrote:
knives wrote:Hasn't Farrell done enough to be considered at least a good actor let alone better than Foxx.
Not really.
So In Bruges, Horrible Bosses, The Way Back, Cassandra's Dream, and The New World mean nothing?
I'm not totally convinced he's "good" in any of those -- acceptable, sure. Maybe just barely good if I'm being charitable. But he is most definitely not a better actor than Jamie Foxx.

oh yeah

#77 Post by oh yeah » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:48 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:I think you're confusing Ali with Ray, Foxx being outstanding in the latter. He never really followed up on the promise of that, Collateral, and Miami Vice, but it's clear on the basis of those three that he's very talented.
No, I was thinking of Ali, and Foxx's excellent supporting role there as Bundini.

Mr Sausage

#78 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:49 pm

oh yeah wrote:
Mr Sausage wrote:I think you're confusing Ali with Ray, Foxx being outstanding in the latter. He never really followed up on the promise of that, Collateral, and Miami Vice, but it's clear on the basis of those three that he's very talented.
No, I was thinking of Ali, and Foxx's excellent supporting role there as Bundini.
Hah! Totally forgot he was in that. Whoops.

John Cope

#79 Post by John Cope » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:54 am

TedW wrote:
knives wrote:Hasn't Farrell done enough to be considered at least a good actor let alone better than Foxx.
Not really.
This is a nonsense. Farrell is a terrific actor with tremendous presence on screen and pursues a line that goes underexplored these days. He is the heir to Mickey Rourke's unique blend of familiar masculine strength and troubled vulnerability. He manages to adroitly dispense that flailing desperation even in something otherwise less than distinguished like Phone Booth. I first saw him in Tigerland and was convinced fully then. All else has simply backed that early assessment up. Having said that obvioulsy there are roles and films that have offered him more than others. For me the triumvirate of Alexander, New World and Vice remain his career high point.

TedW

#80 Post by TedW » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:08 am

John Cope wrote:
TedW wrote:
Not really.
This is a nonsense. Farrell is a terrific actor with tremendous presence on screen and pursues a line that goes underexplored these days. He is the heir to Mickey Rourke's unique blend of familiar masculine strength and troubled vulnerability. He manages to adroitly dispense that flailing desperation even in something otherwise less than distinguished like Phone Booth. I first saw him in Tigerland and was convinced fully then. All else has simply backed that early assessment up. Having said that obvioulsy there are roles and films that have offered him more than others. For me the triumvirate of Alexander, New World and Vice remain his career high point.
Uh, no. He is not an heir to anything except Hollywood also-rans. He is terrible in Alexander, he's not bad in New World, and he's the second worst thing in Vice after Gong Li, who is miscast. So... each to his own.

flyonthewall2983

#81 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:55 am

Miami Vice is held up by Jamie Foxx and a good supporting cast. I like Colin but I have to agree he wasn't up to par here, and I think he's said as much himself. I do hope he works with Michael in something again, because he's been pretty good in what I've seen of him lately (especially In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths). I agree he's fantastic in The New World but that's par for the course, really.

Mr Sausage

#82 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:25 am

Heat discussion moved to its dedicated thread.

oh yeah

#83 Post by oh yeah » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:44 pm

Apparently, Mann's upcoming cyber-crime film now has a release date of January 16, 2015.

Err, what? Firstly, January is a horrible time to release a film like this. Secondly, the film's been in post since September. Why's it need 16 months? Seems excessive. I wonder if there is some problem, either with the film itself or with the studio? Seems like Mann's last few films took about 8-10 months in post, and a behemoth like Heat took even less. What's the deal? Or, I can understand taking a while to finish, but a January release? Isn't that usually when the most disposable romcoms or horror flicks etc. are dumped out by studios? All of Mann's films since Heat or Mohicans have come out either in summer or Oscar season, so I'd think this one would follow suit.

flyonthewall2983

#84 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Well it seems a few other Universal titles are also being pushed back (notably 50 Shades of Grey) so it may not be limited to that one title.

flyonthewall2983

#85 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:20 am

His next film now has a title, Blackhat, and a much more interesting premise than I anticipated
...follows a furloughed convict and his American and Chinese partners as they hunt a high-level cybercrime network from Chicago to Los Angeles to Hong Kong to Jakarta.

ArchCarrier

#86 Post by ArchCarrier » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:52 am

Transcript of a 90-minute interview for Hollywood Masters.

flyonthewall2983

#87 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:23 am

Great interview, thanks for sharing.

flyonthewall2983

#88 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:13 pm

Zen Pulp, Matt Zoller Seitz's 5-part video essay on Mann's work up to Public Enemies, when this series came out.

Feiereisel

#89 Post by Feiereisel » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:02 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Zen Pulp, Matt Zoller Seitz's 5-part video essay on Mann's work up to Public Enemies, when this series came out.
Great find! This is essential viewing for Mann fans.

flyonthewall2983

#90 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:42 pm

ArchCarrier wrote:Transcript of a 90-minute interview for Hollywood Masters.
Interesting tid-bits about each of his films there, including his correspondence with a murderer during Manhunter, his dealings with Mike Wallace and Don Hewitt during The Insider, and Tom Cruise almost taking the role of the cabbie during Collateral. Kind of surprised they could show the whole transcript, especially if it was being shot for TV.

flyonthewall2983

#91 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:01 pm

He's in the final stages of getting together his next film, a biopic of Enzo Ferrari. Oddly enough another picture on Ferrari is in development with Robert De Niro attached, and Clint Eastwood is rumored to be circling it as well.

Feiereisel

#92 Post by Feiereisel » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:11 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:He's in the final stages of getting together his next film, a biopic of Enzo Ferrari. Oddly enough another picture on Ferrari is in development with Robert De Niro attached, and Clint Eastwood is rumored to be circling it as well.
I'll take the Mann one in a heartbeat; he's very good with velocity--is it too cruel to call the premise "Rush, but interesting"?

flyonthewall2983

#93 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:56 pm

Yeah, I'll bet anything DeNiro just hops on board Mann's film instead. Strangely enough this has happened to Mann before. Before Public Enemies he and Depp had separate projects about the poisoned KGB agent in London, Alexander Litvineko for awhile.

flyonthewall2983

#94 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:50 pm

There's a really good interview with him conducted by Robert Rodriguez on his El Rey channel, for a series called The Directors Chair. Some interesting anecdotes about Manhunter, especially how rushed the final scenes in Dollarhyde's home were.

oh yeah

#95 Post by oh yeah » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:03 pm

Yeah, I just watched that the other day (it's up on YouTube now apparently), and I thought the Manhunter anecdote was the most interesting part. I had no idea that those infamous jerky jump-cuts in the showdown between Graham and Dollarhyde were put in there not by artistic choice but out of necessity -- because Mann didn't have the sufficient crew/effects to do a continuous shot of Noonan being repeatedly shot by Graham, and so had to splice together separate shots of each gunshot/wound. Regardless, though, I think the jump cuts work quite well in creating a disorienting atmosphere.

What irritated me, though, was how the interview perpetuated the mainstream-media view of Mann's career, in basically positioning Collateral as his last film, dismissing his increasingly abstract last few features, and ultimately depicting Mann as a rather conventional action-film director. So The Insider, Ali, Miami Vice (2006), Public Enemies and Blackhat weren't even mentioned, let alone discussed. I find this especially surprising and galling in the case of The Insider, which is likely second only to Heat as Mann's most acclaimed and consistently-praised film. But by only covering one film he's made since 1995 (!) the interview is literally leaving out half of Mann's career, and an extremely pivotal part of his evolution as an artist, at that. It would be like having a Lynch retrospective and stopping after Wild at Heart. Shameful. I know time constraints probably played at least a partial role in all this, but it's not like it would've been impossible to trim some of what they had (especially about Miami Vice the series, which Mann never even directed a second of) and at least cursorily cover some of these great and important later works. I have to imagine Mann finds this all rather insulting. I'm sure he's fine with leaving out The Keep, though...

flyonthewall2983

#96 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:06 am

It is up on YouTube but it's slowed down, and has this weird glare in the middle of it. Guess they think that can evade it from being taken down.

I would guess he had some idea that it would be like a greatest-hits retrospective instead of something more in-depth. Rodriguez seems to have genuine affection for his work and gets along with him personally, so I'm sure that was the case. I do like that they talked a bit about his career in television prior to becoming a director. I'm very intrigued by Police Story now.

oh yeah

#97 Post by oh yeah » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:02 am

Eh yeah, I'm sure Mann knows the name of the game, and he did have a friendly rapport with Rodriguez. I guess I meant just more in general, how seemingly every retrospective of his career (that isn't on some obscure cinephile blog) just totally glosses over his post-Heat or post-Insider films besides Collateral. I mean you'd think "greatest hits" would include more than one work from the past two decades. Filmmakers tend to cherish their most recent creations especially, and so to consistently have people say how they love the work you did 20-30 years ago but not even broach the subject of the work you've been doing for the past decade-plus... I think any artist would probably be hurt by that on some level.

nolanoe

#98 Post by nolanoe » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:50 am

Somebody needs to get that Directors Cut of The Keep out there!!

flyonthewall2983

#99 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:14 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian

#100 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:35 pm

oh yeah wrote:Eh yeah, I'm sure Mann knows the name of the game, and he did have a friendly rapport with Rodriguez. I guess I meant just more in general, how seemingly every retrospective of his career (that isn't on some obscure cinephile blog) just totally glosses over his post-Heat or post-Insider films besides Collateral. I mean you'd think "greatest hits" would include more than one work from the past two decades. Filmmakers tend to cherish their most recent creations especially, and so to consistently have people say how they love the work you did 20-30 years ago but not even broach the subject of the work you've been doing for the past decade-plus... I think any artist would probably be hurt by that on some level.
This seems to be recurring thing with The Director's Chair. I've only seen two episodes (on John Carpenter and Francis Ford Coppola), and as I recall, the Carpenter episode all but stopped with They Live and the Coppola episode barely touched on anything after Dracula.