It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:47 pm 

Whatever quantity of shooting Renoir undertook on Holliday the movie simply doesn't look or feell anything like him at all. Bruce Manning is credited director, and co-writer Boris Ingster (Stranger on the Third Floor) may have had a hand in it. But who would ever know for sure.

Mind, I have trouble indentifying the bits Sternberg is supposed to have directed in The Great Waltz. In any case it's available in that mammoth R2 Durbin boxset or much more cheraply through Roadshow Australia. (Which also includes Siodmak powerful Christmas Holiday.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:20 am 

From the NY Times site... Casts some light?...

Quote:
The Amazing Mrs. Holliday was originally intended as Durbin's dramatic debut, and originally directed by Jean Renoir, but Universal insisted upon retakes and added songs. Though virtually all of Renoir's completed footage was retained, final directorial credit was bestowed upon Bruce Manning, the film's producer. ~ Hal Erickson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:27 am 

Copain!

No!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:28 am 

Yes, just checked, Celia Bertin's book - shooting was supposed to start in June 1942, and Manning was also the screenwriter and was constantly wanting to improvise the script on set, without preparing in advance... JR was not averse to improvisation,"I believe in improvisation since I always improvised my own films. But the improvisation I did was always on top of scenes that were already totally written out in scripts that had been written and rewritten several times before the film begun"...

Bertin records, 'After a while, the confused, uninteresting and silly script became unbearable'. Renoir's old war wound on his leg was troubling him, and after suggesting several times to Manning that he do the directing, he stepped back from the project. 'On August 6, 1943, Jean withdrew for health reasons, and Manning took over the shooting, which lasted until December'.

JR wrote to his brother, Claude, two days later....

Quote:
...j'ai quitte le film de Deanna Durbin. La raison officielle, pour tout Hollywood, c'est que j'ai tres mal a la jambe, ce qui est d'ailleurs vrai. Mais la veritable raison c'est que mon producteur et ecrivain, le plus charmant des hommes d'ailleurs, m'apportait les dialogues juste au moment de les tourner, que l'histoire me semblait faible, et que, degoute de ce genre d'improvisation dans le sirop de sucre, je lui ai conseille de faire lui-meme la mise en scene et de me laisser m'en aller...

Post subject: Re: Jean Renoir
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:41 am 

Found La Nuit Du Carrefour with English subs on TCM for $16.99. I've ordered mine and will post whether it's any good once I have it in 2 weeks or so.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:20 am 

Thanks Finch. I'm in.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:35 am 

Yes, especially with the inclusion of Mystery of the Leaping Fish as a supplement!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:46 pm 

What an utterly bizarre extra to include with this hazy murder mystery. What did they, chuck a bunch of public domain shorts into a lottery barrell and shake it until a title fell out? That's been available for awhile as an extra on Kino's old disc of Fairbanks' ripsnortingly fun THE GAUCHO (I'm a sucker for Doug Sr.'s silent adventures, pure escapist fun, even the lesser ones like GAUCHO).

Interesting that a subbed version of this sublime Ren suddenly appears a few months after Our Man In Norway (those in the know will know) took the time to finally tackle this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:17 pm 

Actually, the main man behind the custom translation wasn't me, but a certain British gentleman who spent a lot of time around here before moving on. I just set him up with a Frenchman who could decipher all the noisy and mumbly passages, and I sorta directed the work for making French subs as I thought that would be worth the effort as we already were in middle of the whole subtitling process. If this TCM disc doesn't reproduce those custom subs somehow, I doubt very much that the subtitles will be as thoroughly done as the ones we made.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:19 pm 

Aha... I suspect he is kit and Kin to all of us!!! Well, either way, you helped make it possible and delivered the goods Down Below.

Little Brother! You are here but not There?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:05 pm 

I cant remember if the splendid Kin kept a subtitle credit in OUR version???? I think it would be rich if TCM pinched them. God knows where this all might lead..........

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:09 pm 

Anyone know anything about this "Jean Renoir L'essentiel Collection Boxset"? I think it's from Hong Kong.

http://www.myboxedset.com/jean-renoir-l ... _p592.html

I can't find any screenshots.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:51 pm 

Looks exactly like the French box set, but seems to include more films: http://www.amazon.fr/Jean-Renoir-Lessen ... B000A82IM0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:35 pm 

Knappen wrote:
Looks exactly like the French box set, but seems to include more films: http://www.amazon.fr/Jean-Renoir-Lessen ... B000A82IM0

Were the transfers on the French set any good? I haven't seen any reviews...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:58 am 

It turns out that the Nuit du carrefour DVD isn't a proper TCM release at all, just something sold under the guise of their name by a company called "Video Dimensions". These guys have simply found a custom version with fansubs in the back channels of the Internet, made a quick PAL->NTSC conversion and presented it as their product. Only difference is that they removed the usual fansub credits announcing the nicks of the people who spent time making the subtitles.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:05 am 

Yep, I received it today. I would have got one from backchannels if I'd known. It was quite expensive for what it is, but it'll do.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:38 pm 

Knappen wrote:
It turns out that the Nuit du carrefour DVD isn't a proper TCM release at all, just something sold under the guise of their name by a company called "Video Dimensions". These guys have simply found a custom version with fansubs in the back channels of the Internet, made a quick PAL->NTSC conversion and presented it as their product.

Gutted to hear this. I can only hope that it's at least watchable on my plasma.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:10 pm 

At least you can be sure that the subs are first class.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:58 am 

Which company has released this DVD-R/on-demand version of THE CRIME OF MONSIEUR LANGE, which has been available on Amazon since May, apparently? No label is listed.

Has anyone purchased?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:07 pm 

Craig haven't purchased but I think someone has gone and taken the unsubbed Studio Canal Lange from their original multi disc Renoir box set and - once again! - pinched custom English subs (to synch to PAL timecode) from the very same place as the home nurtured Nuit du C.

Whatever it is almost certainly totally without any licencing arrangement with Canal.

Bastards.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:57 am 

I'm lucky, I have the old OOP Warner UK 3 film set (then licensed from Studio Canal), with CRIME included... Only slight downside is the subs are fixed, but that has never bothered me...

Monsieur Hare - warm season's greetings, you have been much missed in these parts for the last while...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:58 am 

Yes I still have it too in the 2004 Renoir set from Studio Canal/Warner, so it could be "borrowed" from that. The 1990s BBC broadcast may also be floating around. Both these would be PAL originally of course.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:52 am 

Cough... I have the download version (as a dvdr) of the subtitled Crime de, but the subs are definitely removeable. THey could very likely have come from the Warner UK set. More likely they've been naabbed from a web based srt download site, or even more likely the ..cough -- back room from which I downloaded it.
Ellips I haven't seen much comment here on the gorgeous Park Circus port of the Boudu Blu Ray. I've raved about it elsewhere (And then some.)

Has no one here even bothered with it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:06 am 

David, yes, I second your high opinion of the Park Circus BOUDU BR, it's simply revelatory of Renoir's superb original decoupage, the HD detail pointing up the marvellously sharp depth of field in several setups, contrasting with softer focus/diffusion filter narrow plane imagery in certain closer shots, the precise stagings of some scenes, and the verite nature of others... This was all stuff mainly lost in the lower resolution of DVD, now rediscovered in the new resto on BR... It's a BR release that markedly improved my appreciation of the film BOUDU itself, which already was considerable...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:43 am 

I picked it up only recently - I had hoped Criterion would do something with the restoration (it's Renoir, it's Simon, it's Boudu). I imagine a few people feel the same.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next