It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Zhang Yimou
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:53 pm 

There's no legitimate English-subbed disc. Kloofy's has some iffy subtitles on their site; there's some better subs out there, but I can't find a source at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:11 pm 

I am still making do with my Spanish-subbed PAL video of Keep Cool.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:32 am 

thank you guys.

I can find Italian copies with Italian subtitles fairly often.....I shudder at the thought of that option.....saying that, I was in Milan last year actually and do have an Italian phrasebook and dictionary......perhaps I should dig it out.....trouble is my Italian's somewhere between awful and non-existent and I can imagine myself continuously pausing the DVD to look up phrases to the point that not only would it take at least 10 hours to watch but would remove the comedy factor entirely! :)

Ah well.....maybe I'll just wait another 5 years!

Thanks again

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:10 pm 

The first time I watched Keep Cool, i sat with my dictionary on one side and the remote control on the other. I paused the video MANY times. But I was able to remember almost everything that got said -- so subsequent viewings were much easier.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:56 am 

What are the chances we will ever see decent releases of "Ju Dou" and "Qiu Ju" respectively? And if slim, what existing releases should I be looking for?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:45 am 

Clevinger wrote:
What are the chances we will ever see decent releases of "Ju Dou" and "Qiu Ju" respectively? And if slim, what existing releases should I be looking for?
There was a perfectl;y lovely HK release of Qiu Ju -- and I believe the latest US release was also supposed to have been decent. Not sure if either is still available. I don't believe there has ever been an adequate DVD version of Ju Dou.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:01 am 

There seems to be no discussion here about "The Flowers Of War", Zhang's latest big budget movie (Or discussion on "Under The Hawthorn Tree" for that matter.)

I watched the US Blu-ray of it today, and although a good movie, it stops short of being 'great'. "City Of Life And Death" is a much better and fuller account on the Nanking Massacre, but "Flowers" even with its longer length of 142 minutes, seems to be missing some things.

Like Christian Bale's character's background I felt was a bit too short and should have been explored more, as well as the character of Terry played by Paul Schneider (of 'Parks and Recreation') for just one scene? Completely underused and relegated to a cameo appearance. As well as toward the end, I'm sure everyone would've liked to see a conclusion to George and the prostitutes. Yes, I would've liked it to be 3 hours. Too many bits and pieces missing to feel whole.

On the other hand, the 5-part Making Of is excellent. On the same level as "A Woman, A Gun, And A Noodle Shop" making of, lengthy at more than 90 minutes. Captures all aspects of production, with interviews, and b-roll footage, and extremely well edited as well.

Also, avoid the UK disc. It is in the incorrect 1.78:1 aspect ratio.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:10 am 

How many children has Zhang fathered? And is it alright in China?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:23 am 

Can't find mention of this on the board, but some may be interested to learn that a Korean company put out an English-subtitled Ju Dou blu-ray last spring.

English subs are mediocre - my Chinese-speaking neighbor think they're probably a translation of the Korean translation - but the film looks better than I've ever seen it. 1.33:1 aspect ratio.

Last edited by yoshimori on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:30 am 
Carthago delenda est

yoshimori wrote:
Can't find mention of this on the board, but some may be interested to learn that a Korean company put out an English-subtitled Ju Dou blu-ray last spring.

English subs are mediocre - my Chinese-speaking neighbor think they're probably a translation of the Korean translation - but the film looks better than I've ever seen it. 1:33:1 aspect ratio.

Many thanks for posting - just picked up a copy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:25 am 

Is 1.33 the right format? I don't think that any of his other films use this...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:59 am 

The Japanese BD, which I suspect is the source of the Korean disc, is also 1.33:1. There is some debate about the aspect ratio at blu-ray.com forum - I never visit there, so I can't judge the quality of the posters - but a Chinese poster insists the film was shot 1.33:1, and that seems to be the consensus there. A couple of other online sites say things like "According to sources at Panavision Ju Dou was shot 1.66 spherical" which, if true, suggests that the current BD is slightly open matte. IMDB says 1.37:1. The color plate in Bordwell-Thompson's Film History is also academy ratio. I haven't seen a print in many years, but the film's definitely not, as online sites often report, 2.35:1!

Last edited by yoshimori on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:25 pm 

This isn't determinative, but in 1990 it was still common for Chinese movie posters to advertise films with the phrase "彩色遮幅式故事片" (color matted [widescreen]-style narrative film) or some variant thereof. This was despite the fact that the industry had long since switched to color and widescreen wasn't much of a novelty by that point either. You can just barely see the phrase on this poster for The Peking Duck Restaurant, and here's another example for This September of Mine. The poster for Ju Dou just says "彩色故事片" (color narrative film), which leads me to think that it was intended for exhibition in Academy ratio. (To the best of my knowledge the film was never actually released in China—I assume this poster was created before the ban was handed down.)