Juzo Itami

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
colinr0380

Juzo Itami

#1 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:55 pm

Juzo Itami (1933-1997)

Filmography (as Director)

Rubberband Gun - Unknown year - mentioned in this interview with Donald Ritchie:
Itami knew my films quite well. At that time, he was an actor going with a girl I was seeing a lot -- Kazuko Kawakita, whom he eventually married. He emulated one of my films in the first film he made -- a 16 mm film called "Rubberband Gun." He and Kazuko made it, and it had my sense of humor in it, a very funny little film.
Ososhiki (Funeral Ceremony/The Funeral/Death - Japanese Style/Zazambo) (1984) Fox Lorber R1(DVD File); Geneon R2 (Japan) with English subtitles

Tampopo (Dandelion) (1985) Fox Lorber R1 DVD Talk; Kung Fu Cult Cinema; DVD Beaver with Geneon R2 (Japan) disc with English subtitles

Marusa no onna (A Taxing Woman) (1987) Fox Lorber R1; Geneon R2 (Japan) with English subtitles available in 1 or 2-disc editions

Marusa no onna II (A Taxing Woman II; A Taxing Woman's Return) (1988) Geneon R2 (Japan) with English subtitles

A-ge-man (Tales of a Golden Geisha) (1990) Geneon R2 (Japan) with English subtitles

Minbo no onna (Minbo/Gentle Art of Japanese Extortion/The Anti-Extortion Woman) (1992) Geneon R2 (Japan) with English subtitles

Daibyonin (The Last Dance) (1993) Geneon R2 (Japan) with English subtitles

Shizukana Seikatsu (A Quiet Life) (1995) Geneon R2 (Japan) with English subtitles

Sunna no onna (Supermarket Woman) (1996) Geneon R2 (Japan) with English subtitles

Marutai no onna (Woman in Witness Protection) (1997) Geneon R2 (Japan) with English subtitles

Two boxsets of Juzo Itami films were available in Japan, a 'Tatakau Onna' (Tough Woman) set of the five 'onna' films and the remaining five films in a 'Gambaru' set. Both were limited editions and now seem to be out of print.

Web Resources

Films

Juzo Itami on DVD

Career overview

The Screen Bug on Juzo Itami

Review of The Funeral by Vincent Canby from The New York Times

Roger Ebert review of Tampopo

Review of Tampopo from Hanami Web

The Aspect Ratio on Tampopo

Scenes from Tampopo on YouTube, (2), (3)

Driven By Uncontrollable Passions: A Taxing Woman. Review by Richard Schickel in Time

Review of A Taxing Woman

Review of A Taxing Woman Returns

The Screen Bug on Minbo no Onna

Review of Minbo no Onna

Japan Times article about attack on Juzo Itami after release of Minbo no Onna

Review of Supermarket Woman

Searching for information I came across the Capcom video game from 1989, Sweet Home, (2), which is said to have been the genesis of survival horror games such as Capcom's later Resident Evil series. A film of the same name was made at the same time produced by Juzo Itami and directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa.

Archive reviews of three Juzo Itami films from the Siskel and Ebert show. From the link, click the director's name to find reviews of the two Taxing Woman films and Tampopo.

General information

IMDB page on recent two hour documentary, Juzo Itami: The Man With 13 Faces

Kenzaburo Oe: Laughing Prophet and Soulful Healer - article on the novellist and brother-in-law to Itami. A Quiet Life was based on a novel by Oe, and Oe's 1999 novel Changeling is said to be a response to Itami's death.

TIVOLI

Itami

#2 Post by TIVOLI » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:00 pm

A number of Itami films were supposed to be released on August 29th with English subtitles and rational prices, but I have been unable to find them available from the usual suspects. Does anyone have information about these? Thanks.

feckless boy

Re: Itami

#3 Post by feckless boy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:41 am

TIVOLI wrote:A number of Itami films were supposed to be released on August 29th with English subtitles and rational prices, /.../ Does anyone have information about these?

This seems to have been a mistake, Yesasia announced a re-release that later was pulled.

Fan-of-Kurosawa

#4 Post by Fan-of-Kurosawa » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:29 pm

No, it was not a mistake. I don't know about yesasia, but cdjapan had 9 out of the 10 Itami films at a very low price. (The only exception was The Last Dance which for some reason remained at full price).

The discs are the same as the old ones and of course include eng subs.
I know this very well because in September I bought six. Unfortunately, this was a limited time offer and now everything is back at its regular price.

yoshimori

Re: Juzo Itami

#5 Post by yoshimori » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:11 pm

Since the DVDs had English subtitles, I'm surprised the blu-rays of the Itami films listed at cdjapan indicate "none". Can anyone who may have them confirm?
Last edited by yoshimori on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#6 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:03 pm

I wish someone would get around to releasing JI's father's most important films. ;~}

Zot!

#7 Post by Zot! » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:36 pm

There is a Amazon preorder up for a German Blu of Tampopo?

Donald Brown

#8 Post by Donald Brown » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:11 am

Does anyone here have the German Tampopo Blu-ray? How is it?

Fierias

#9 Post by Fierias » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:48 am

It's terrible, sadly. DNR'ed and contrast-boosted like there was no tomorrow.