Bryan Forbes

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Scharphedin2

#1 Post by Scharphedin2 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:19 pm

Bryan Forbes (1926- )

Filmography

Whistle Down the Wind (1961) Carlton (R2 UK) / Divisa Red (R2 ES)

The L-Shaped Room (1962) Optimum Releasing (R2 UK) – also as part of British New Wave, Vol. 1 Double Feature with Darling

Seance on a Wet Afternoon (1964) Home Vision Entertainment (R1) / Network (R2 UK) / Carlton (R2 UK)

King Rat (1965) Columbia (R1) / Sony (R2 UK)

The Wrong Box (1966)

The Whisperers (1967)

Deadfall (1968) Fox (R1)

The Madwoman of Chaillot (1969)

The Raging Moon (1971) Optimum Releasing (R2 UK)

The Stepford Wives (1975) Paramount (R1) / Anchor Bay (R1) / Anchor Bay (R2 UK)

The Slipper and the Rose: The Story of Cinderella (1976) Image Entertainment (R1) / Universal (R2 UK)

International Velvet (1978)

Sunday Lovers (segment, 1980)

Play for Today (TV episode, 1980)

Better Late Than Never (1982)

Philip Marlowe, Private Eye (TV episode, 1983) Goldhil Home Media (R1) – included in Philip Marlowe, Private Eye Collection

The Naked Face (1984)

The Endless Game (1990)

Recommended Web Resources

BAFTA – Tribute to Bryan Forbes with downloadable program (25 May, 2007)

BBC – “Director Bryan Forbes Made CBEâ€

scaredfragrances

"Seance on a Wet Afternoon"

#2 Post by scaredfragrances » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:13 pm

I saw this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seance-Wet-Afte ... 731&sr=1-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the other night, and it blew me away completely. Kim Stanley's character is frighteningly real, too real for comfort. It's amazing that she did not get the Oscar for this, arguably her masterpiece. Not a single word uttered from her lips sounded fake, nor a single pause or gesture. She was supremely foiled by the actor who played her husband, Richard Attenborough. What an underestimated actor he was, too. It's a shame that this film remains relatively obscure, I am not giving away the plot! As pointed out before, it's still readily available from amazon.uk - in a better-looking transfer than that of the US DVD. Don't waste any time. Get this gem, cheaply at that, before it runs out of stock!

Sloper

Re: "Seance on a Wet Afternoon"

#3 Post by Sloper » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:19 pm

Completely agree with all that, especially about the acting - I vaguely remember a scene towards the end, where Attenborough tries to confront Stanley, that was chilling and heartbreaking and mesmerising all at once. Truly the most sinister of the 'kitchen sink' dramas I've seen from this period, prefiguring the likes of 10 Rillington Place.
Last edited by Sloper on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scaredfragrances

Re: "Seance on a Wet Afternoon"

#4 Post by scaredfragrances » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:47 pm

Sloper wrote:... prefiguring the likes of 10 Rillington Place.
This most disturbing movie is a bona fide masterpiece, thanks for bringing attention to it. The acting and staging is harrowingly real, it fairly plays like a documentary. Befittingly so, as it's based on a real case. Most highly recommended if you are not among the squeamish!

Jaymole

Re: Bryan Forbes

#5 Post by Jaymole » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:20 am

THE WRONG BOX is available in the UK on DVD from Columbia. It is an exclusive through Moviemail. I just ordered the DVD recently and I can't wait to see it again.

I am hoping that THE WHISPERERS gets released soon...somewhere.

HarryLong

#6 Post by HarryLong » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:27 am

SEANCE is and under-known film by and under-appreciated director. Forbes' output could be inconsistent, but at his best (SEANCE and THE WHISPERERS, for instance) he was amazing.
And I am an unapologetic fan of THE WRONG BOX.

Jaymole

#7 Post by Jaymole » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:23 pm

Just found this out...THE WHISPERERS is available through Amazon from MGM's burn on demand series. Although I am not a fan of burned discs, I will probably pick this up if it reaches a low enough price point for me.

rockysds

#8 Post by rockysds » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:20 pm

The Slipper and the Rose materialized: blu-ray.com review + a German blu-ray of Deadfall will be out soon.