Michael Powell

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

Colpeper
I Am the Glueman

Re: Michael Powell

#26 Post by Colpeper » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:55 am

mteller wrote:Mister Lime confirmed on HTF it's the Selznick butcher job. A shame.
Although I would not rank Gone to Earth very high among The Archers' output, it has a special significance for me because I grew up near its filming locations in the Shropshire countryside. As a child, I knew about the film many years before eventually seeing it, when it was restored in the 1980s.

There really isn't anything to recommend in the Selznick US version over the UK original, despite Rouben Mamoulian's involvement as director of some reshot scenes. The only positive I can point to is that Selznick at least had the decency (or perhaps it was a contractual requirement) to rename the butchered product. Since the forthcoming release appears to be under that US title, The Wild Heart, it tells us what to expect. I presume the roadshow overture will be new to home video though.

In exceptional cases, I might defend a producer's wishes taking precedence over the director's, if the producer is risking his or her own money whilst the director is not. However, Powell & Pressburger always did have a financial stake as co-producers, so they were entitled to object when Selznick's interference became unreasonable.

I feel sorry for contemporary US audiences who were denied a chance to see the original film, but at least that still exists and perhaps one day we can look forward to it on Blu.

JSC

#27 Post by JSC » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:55 am

Mill Creek is releasing Powell's Age of Consent as a double feature with Cactus Flower.
Pretty awful cover, though.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Age-of-Co ... ay/207017/

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#28 Post by Rayon Vert » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:27 am

Great news, thanks. I wonder if this will include the commentary by Kent Jones.

nolanoe

#29 Post by nolanoe » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:25 am

Werewolf by Night wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:23 pm
nolanoe wrote:Really, all I care about is when a BD of "Down to Earth" comes out.
Good news! It’s coming, thanks to Kino Lorber. A restored “roadshow” version, apparently, though I’m not quite sure what that means. The uncut UK version, one would hope.
I missed this - I'm very happy to see this is indeed being released this September!!